fungii for id 30 08 2011 mm1

Mohina Macker

Aug 30, 2011, 2:16:53 AM8/30/11
to efloraofindia
I photographed this a couple of days ago at my place in alibaug
This fungus is growing at the base of a tree
Would appreciate an identification
regards
mohina macker
IMG_0072 aab.jpg
IMG_0072 ab.jpg

Alok

Aug 30, 2011, 3:39:50 AM8/30/11
to efloraofindia
WOW...!! Mohina ji could you show a photo of the underside...?? Is it
gilled or pored..??
Regards
Alok
>  IMG_0072 aab.jpg
> 228KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_0072 ab.jpg
> 258KViewDownload

Mohina Macker

Aug 30, 2011, 3:55:43 AM8/30/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Alok

seems pored to me
unfortunately i dont have additional photographs as the camera ran ran out of battery
regards
mohina macker
IMG_0072 aab.jpg
IMG_0072 ab.jpg
IMG_0072 c.jpg

Inderjeet Sethi

Aug 30, 2011, 7:58:28 AM8/30/11
to Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
It is a sp. of Sparassis. Most probably S. crispa. It is known as known as cauliflower fungus. This does not have pores on the underside but have flat, broad ribbon-like branches.
--
~ik~
Dr.Inderjeet Kaur Sethi

Tanay Bose

Aug 30, 2011, 9:50:48 AM8/30/11
to Inderjeet Sethi, Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
Yes Sparassis crispa as said by Inderjeet ji ...
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Mohina Macker

Aug 31, 2011, 1:10:31 AM8/31/11
to Inderjeet Sethi, efloraofindia
Thanks for all the information

Kiran Srivastava added some more interesting information which he got from a photograph that he had posted earlier

'Some fungus have a mycorrhizal relationship with trees. This special relationship means that the fungus wraps its mycelia around tree roots. The fungus then gives the tree special nutrients from the soil that it couldn’t get by itself. This helps the tree stay healthy and strong. In return, the fungus can pull different nutrients from the tree roots that it would not get on its own. Therefore the fungus and tree help each other.
Mycelia: The vegetative part of a fungus, consisting of a mass of branching, threadlike hyphae.
Mycorrhizal relationship is same as symbiotic relationship i.e., Like we see between Langurs and Chital deer.'

Sindhu Ramchandran from Pune replied thus:
Good Info..the photo you have posted is of cauliflower mushroom.
Ecology: growing from the roots or bases of trees; Sparassis (also known as cauliflower mushrooms) is a genus of parasitic mushrooms characterised by their unique look. Its look can be described as similar to a sea sponge, a brain, or a head of cauliflower, from which it has been given its popular name.
regards
mohina

J.M. Garg

Apr 17, 2019, 12:52:40 AM4/17/19
to efloraofindia, Mohina Macker
Ashutosh ji feels that it may not be Sparassis crispa as per his posting in another thread.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2975 members & 3,00,000 messages on 25.7.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which 1,00,000 are directly displayed).

IMG_0072 aab.jpg
IMG_0072 ab.jpg

Mohina Macker

Apr 17, 2019, 1:30:35 AM4/17/19
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you for this new information
regards
mohina

J.M. Garg

Apr 17, 2019, 1:51:18 AM4/17/19
to efloraofindia, Mohina Macker, Ashutosh Sharma
IMG_0072 aab.jpg
IMG_0072 ab.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 17, 2019, 8:29:38 AM4/17/19