18th Tree Appreciatio Walk at Maharashtra Nature Park at 8 am on Sunday 25th September

Usha Desai

Sep 20, 2011, 10:03:12 AM9/20/11
to Indian Tree Pix

Dear Friends,

We, a group of nature lovers have decided to start Tree Appreciation Walks [TAW] in Mumbai.  Our aim is to create awareness and inculcate a love for the trees.

You are most welcome to join us for our 18th TAW.

 The 18th walk is on Sunday 25th 2011 at 8am

 Venue:  Maharashtra Nature Park[Nearest railway station is Bandra[wr] and Sion[cr]

  Opposite Dharavi Bus Depot[Following buses halt at MNP[dharavi bus depot] 11,255,348,355,356,375,448,455,505,476,75,76,165,166,180,181,371,408,473,376]

Time8 a.m.

Duration of walk:  2 hours

Meeting Point: Main gate, near the ticket office.

Very Important---- there will be other groups present for other activities so please inform at gate that you are for Tree Appreciation Walk....Don’t take gate Pass which we have taken in advance. Please Rs.5/- to your group leader as we have paid in advance.

Please reach at MNP before 8 am because cars are not allowed to park inside the park so you may take some time to park your car outside.

 Maharashtra Nature Park or simply known as MNP or Mahim Nature Park is a man made forest in the middle of a vastly polluted and populated stretch. One side is polluted Mahim creek & Mithi River and other side is Dharavi slum…Asia’s largest slum. It is built over 5meter deep garbage dump……Now a 14 hectors of verdant realm of forest….epitome of human endeavour.It has vermiculture and water harvesting facility…so much vermicompost is produced that it is more than they need! It is birders paradise. It also has butterfly garden & an Nakshtravan &  MEDICINAL GARDEN…We will be taking you to the medicinal garden and showing  you  herbs like Haldi ,Tulsi ,Sabja ,Brahmi…and also rare ones like Roylea elegans. We have already shown medicinal trees…so truly speaking this walk should be called Herbal  Walk!

 We will be providing a fact sheet re uses….so our main concentration will be in showing a unique feature of the plant so one finds it easy to identify and remember.

 Attached is the list of the 69 plants  we shall be showing you. Also a map of MNP is attached.

                          Please go through the following websites   for more information http://www.mmrdamumbai.org/projects_mnp.htm

See beautiful photographs of MNP BY Maneesh Goal at his website

http://mybioscope.blogspot.com/2010/07/maharashtra-nature-park-mahim-nature.html

Hope to see you all

Renee,Sheila,Usha

25th SEPTEMBER_2011_medicinal plants in MNP_common_name-wise.doc

hari lal

Sep 21, 2011, 7:49:26 AM9/21/11
to Usha Desai, Indian Tree Pix
very nice information thanks for sharing
--
HARI SHANKAR LAL
AT-SHIV KUTIR