[efloraofindia:35308] Galphimia gracilis from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

May 19, 2010, 7:31:55 AM5/19/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Galphimia gracilis Batling. from Sunder Nursery, New Delhi, photographed on September 1, 2009

This small shrub is most confused and often sold in nurseries under the name G. glauca or sometimes G. brasiliensis. Last one is mainly a South American species also like G. gracilis with deciduous petals but easily differentiated by peduncles being absent or less than 2 mm long and smaller corolla limb (ca 4 mm long). G. glauca is distinct in having persistent petals often spreading below the fruit, longer and denser inflorescence, peduncle much shorter than peduncle (less than 1/2 as long) with bracteoles borne well below the tip of peduncle (peduncle 1/2 to almost as long as pedicel in G. gracilis; bracteoles at peduncle tip), shorter claw (1.5-2 mm in lateral petals, 3-4 in posterior, as against 2-2.5 in lat and 4-5 in post. petals in G. gracilis) and shorter fruit (2.5 mm long as against 4.5-5 mm in G. gracilis).

For excellent paper on Galphimia refer to
Contr.. Univ. Michigan Herb. 25: 1-82, 2007
REVISION OF Galphimia (Malpighiaceae)
Christiane Anderson
University of Michigan Herbarium
3600 Varsity Drive
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108-2287

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Galphimia-gracilis-Delhi-1.jpg
Galphimia-gracilis-Delhi-2.jpg
Galphimia-gracilis-Delhi-3.jpg
Galphimia-gracilis-Delhi-4.jpg

tanay bose

May 19, 2010, 8:15:25 AM5/19/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
A new Species for me thanks for the photos and also for the description Sir
TAnay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Tabish

May 19, 2010, 12:40:20 PM5/19/10
to efloraofindia
I think the confusion arose from the fact that the plant which was
called Galphimia glauca Hort. ex Bartl., is now known as Galphimia
gracilis. Thanks for bringing this to light Gurcharan ji!
- Tabish