Thunbergia grandiflora

rashida atthar

Oct 2, 2009, 4:51:07 AM10/2/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

These flowers of what I beleive are of Thunbergia grandiflora-climber were seen today, outside my windows, Mumbai. They have climbed from the compound, onto the Thespesia tree, and are flowering gregariously all over. Tailor birds and sunbirds visit the flowers. Would request confirmation whether this climber is indeed T. grandiflora.  Thank you.

regards,
Rashida.

Videos Get the latest video streams on movies, Try it!
Thunbergia grandiflora flowers2.JPG
Thunbergia grandiflora leaves.JPG
Thunbergia grandiflora- climber.JPG
Thunbergia grandiflora.JPG
Thunbergia grandiflora with buds.JPG

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Oct 2, 2009, 6:40:17 AM10/2/09
to indiantreepix
yes this is Thunbergia grandiflora and the sunbird is called Purple
Rumped Sunbird (Leptocoma zeylonica)

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Oct 2, 2009, 10:57:45 AM10/2/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thunbergia laurifolia, and not T. grandiflora. I had sent photographs of the two species separately in my posts. The leaves of T. grandiflora are conspicuously cordate, nearly as broad as long, with longer corolla tube.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Oct 2, 2009, 11:03:36 AM10/2/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Please note that the photograph on Flowers of India by Aarti Khale is Thunbergia grandiflora, and one by Dinesh Valke is T. laurifolia (foreget flower colour for the moment, it both species it varies from blue to white.

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Oct 2, 2009, 6:38:09 PM10/2/09
to indiantreepix
I am sorry, I sud have seen it properly!!! I went to town after
replying this and while on the way, I saw the other climber with
cordate base and broader leaf. Then I realised that there was some
mistake.

By the way, I couldnt make out which pic on flowersofindia you are
talking about by Aarti Khale!!

But anyways, the bird was correctly identified.....;)

Thanks Dr. Gurcharan Sir for correcting me!!
My apologies once again.

Regards
Pankaj

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Oct 2, 2009, 7:54:36 PM10/2/09
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix

Pankaj ji
If you look at two photographs against Thunbergia grandiflora at Flowers of India website, there is one with white flowers by Aarti Khale. This is Thunbergia grandiflora (the flowers can be blue also in this species), note deeply cordate leaves almost as broad as long. The second photograph is with blue flowers. This one is taken by Dinesh Valke, and belongs to T. laurifolia. Note that leaves are much less wider as compared to lenth, and not cordate at base. You may also notice that veins all arise from base in white flowered plant, and they are somewhat pinnate in blue flowered plant, only two side vins from near the base, others arising higher up.

You may also look at photographs of two species uploaded by me separately, two to three days back.

rashida atthar

Oct 3, 2009, 12:19:50 AM10/3/09
to sin...@sify.com, indian...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Sir for the  ID and details.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 08:03:36 -0700
Subject: [indiantreepix:20007] Re: Thunbergia grandiflora
From: sin...@sify.com
To: rashid...@hotmail.com
CC: indian...@googlegroups.com

Mahendra Prasad

Oct 18, 2009, 9:18:05 AM10/18/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
 Thunbergia grandiflora.jpg,(129kb), closeup pix lovely.  Light purple colour, with droplets of water and perfect exposure.

[indiantreepix:19987] Thunbergia grandiflora
Fri, 2 October, 2009 3:51:07 AM
From:
rashida atthar <rashid...@hotmail.com>
Add to Contacts
To: indian...@googlegroups.com

5 Files  View Slideshow  Download All
Thunbergia grandiflora flowers2.JPG (147KB); Thunbergia grandiflora leaves.JPG (139KB); Thunbergia grandiflora- climber.JPG (142KB); Thunbergia grandiflora.JPG (129KB); Thunbergia grandiflora with buds.JPG (116KB)

These flowers of what I beleive are of Thunbergia grandiflora-climber were seen today, outside my windows, Mumbai. They have climbed from the compound, onto the Thespesia tree, and are flowering gregariously all over. Tailor birds and sunbirds visit the flowers. Would request confirmation whether this climber is indeed T. grandiflora.  Thank you.

regards,
Rashida.

Connect more, do more and share more with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn more.