Physalis for ID : 030811 : AK-2

Aarti S. Khale

Aug 3, 2011, 10:40:28 AM8/3/11
to efloraofindia
Taken at Kodaikanal on 25/10/08.
Found growing wild.
A small plant.
Aarti
P1050402.JPG

Vijayasankar

Aug 3, 2011, 10:43:51 AM8/3/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Looks like Nicandra physaloides, a native of Peru.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 3, 2011, 10:55:37 AM8/3/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Yes colour of corolla and strongly winged calyx support Nicandra physalodes.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Aarti S. Khale

Aug 3, 2011, 12:14:28 PM8/3/11
to Gurcharan Singh, R. Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Vijayasankar ji, Gurcharan ji
Many thanks for the id.
I have photographed a flower of this, but did not know both to be the same sp.
Regards,
Aarti

Smilax004

Aug 3, 2011, 1:04:39 PM8/3/11
to Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
A new species to me. Is this species introduced recently to India?

Regards,
Giby

On Aug 3, 7:43 pm, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like *Nicandra physaloides*, a native of Peru.

> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 3, 2011, 11:47:00 PM8/3/11
to Smilax004, Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Giby ji
This American plant is also widely cultivated and readily naturalizes. It features in Revised Handbook of Flora of Ceylone as also in enumeration of Flowering Plants of Nepal.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 4, 2011, 1:07:48 AM8/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Thank you sir for clarification. I am not very familiar with introduced plants and this is a good platform for my learning of such plants

Thanks and Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD