aquatic plant for ID 040311AMS1

aadil meher

Mar 4, 2011, 9:32:53 AM3/4/11
to indiantreepix
Aquatic plant from bhopal lake
02032011193.jpg
02032011194.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 4, 2011, 9:45:53 AM3/4/11
to aadil meher, indiantreepix
Vallisneria spiralis most probably.
Pankaj

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 8:02 PM, aadil meher <aadilsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aquatic plant from bhopal lake

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 4, 2011, 10:03:25 AM3/4/11
to Pankaj Kumar, aadil meher, indiantreepix
Or perhaps V. natans, as V. spiralis probably does not grow in India

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 4, 2011, 10:12:30 AM3/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, aadil meher, indiantreepix
Vallisneria spiralis is found in India as well as V. natans
[Reference: Govaerts et al. 2011: Kew's checklist)
My contention was based on the spiral stalks present below the flower,
if that is not a unique character, then I may be wrong.
Regards
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 4, 2011, 1:46:00 PM3/4/11
to Pankaj Kumar, aadil meher, indiantreepix
I would be happier if both species grow in India. My information says that V. spiralis does not grow in Asia and the specimens identified as such belong to V. natans. By the way spirally coiled female stalk is the generic character and not unique to any species.