ID help needed

1 view

Arun Prabhu

Jan 10, 2011, 7:22:21 AM1/10/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

While driving from Thirthahalli to Shimoga ( Karnataka) through NH-13 on 06
Jan 2011, I observed these rotting Bamboo trees. Someone remarked this
is an infectious disease that comes once every 40-50 years and
destroys a whole lot of bamboo crops.

Will you be able to enlighten me on this aspect.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Arun Prabhu

--

P1064682.JPG
P1064684.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 28, 2011, 1:55:26 AM1/28/11
to efloraofindia, Arun Prabhu, Ritesh Choudhary, Dr.ANIL KUMAR
Resurfacing again for ID

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Mayur Nandikar

Jan 29, 2011, 12:43:55 AM1/29/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Arun Prabhu, Ritesh Choudhary, Dr.ANIL KUMAR
Hello,

This might be natural death, i don't think there is any infectious disease. This is what I think. May be you aware with monocarpic term in plants like Bamboo.

In many bamboos flowering often commences at the beginning of the "dormant" season - be that the dry season or the cool season - and is followed by seed drop a few months later, and sometimes death thereafter. If a whole plant flowers, then flowering may encompass the entire plant, including the rhizomes, which can produce new flowering culms.

Bamboos do not necessarily die after flowering, but death is much more likely if set seed is heavy. In fact, only the parts that flower will die, and so if only one culm flowers, only that culm will die. If all the culms flower, the whole plant will die.

--
Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,