Flora of Smriti van,Jaipur

Devendra Bhardwaj

Jan 30, 2011, 10:06:43 PM1/30/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hindi name खेजड़ी
Scientific Name Prosopis cineraria
Family Fabaceae
Photo taken 5.4.2009
At-  Smiriti Van, Jaipur, Rajastan, India
Description Rajasthan State Tree
Regards,Devendra Bhardwaj

P4050109.jpg

tanay bose

Jan 30, 2011, 10:11:42 PM1/30/11
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Mahadeswara

Jan 30, 2011, 11:35:43 PM1/30/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks for sharing the beautiful photograph. This tree is very
common in South India. It is a sacred tree in TamilNadu and common
name in Tamil is 'Vanni'. Prosopis cineraria is a multipurpose tree
species: provides fodder, fuel, timber, and shade It brings
about soil improvement and also helps in sand dune stabilization. It
is commonly used in dryland agroforestry in India and Pakistan. I
think it is the state tree of Rajasthan(India) and provincial tree of
the Sindh province of Pakistan. Its synonym is P. spicigera.
Here in Mysore, there are many trees closeby my house.

On Jan 31, 8:06 am, Devendra Bhardwaj <devendra_bhard...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>  P4050109.jpg
> 160KViewDownload

Muthu Karthick

Jan 31, 2011, 12:39:17 AM1/31/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Thanks for the information Mahadeswaraji,
I never knew this tree is common in Tamil Nadu; thought its presence is rare.I always have the difficulty in separating tis from P.juliflora.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 09626833911
www.careearthtrust.org

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 31, 2011, 1:04:52 AM1/31/11
to Muthu Karthick, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Muthu ji
I don't feel very confident about the identification of above photograph as P. cineraria, because the spines are clearly longer, stronger and paired, and inflorescence much denser.

Both P. juliflora and P. cineraria grow in Delhi and they are quite distinct. In P. cineraria the spines are much shorter, solitary and randomly scattered, it is a taller tree, the spikes are slender, more yellower in colour and lax. It is also common to see rounded insect galls hanging from the tree. pods are slightly flattened and curved

P. juliflora is a medium sized tree or shrub, the spines are longer and paired in leaf axils. The infloresnce is much more dense and pale yellow or creamy in colour, with greenish tinge. the pods are slender, long and cylindrical.

I am uploading both species separately.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 23, 2011, 9:55:50 AM2/23/11
to efloraofindia, Devendra Bhardwaj, TANAY BOSE, Mahadeswara, Muthu Karthick
Resurfacing again for ID confirmation

Earlier feedback

Me................I don't feel very confident about the identification of above photograph as P. cineraria, because the spines are clearly longer, stronger and paired, and inflorescence much denser.

Both P. juliflora and P. cineraria grow in Delhi and they are quite distinct. In P. cineraria the spines are much shorter, solitary and randomly scattered, it is a taller tree, the spikes are slender, more yellower in colour and lax. It is also common to see rounded insect galls hanging from the tree. pods are slightly flattened and curved

P. juliflora is a medium sized tree or shrub, the spines are longer and paired in leaf axils. The infloresnce is much more dense and pale yellow or creamy in colour, with greenish tinge. the pods are slender, long and cylindrical.

I am uploading both species separately.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
P4050109.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jun 12, 2011, 4:26:45 AM6/12/11
to efloraofindia, devendra...@yahoo.com, dr.rahu...@gmail.com, skvbt...@yahoo.com, Amit Kotia, Gurcharan Singh

Some earlier relevant feedback:

I don't feel very confident about the identification of above photograph as P. cineraria, because the spines are clearly longer, stronger and paired, and inflorescence much denser.

Both P. juliflora and P. cineraria grow in Delhi and they are quite distinct. In P. cineraria the spines are much shorter, solitary and randomly scattered, it is a taller tree, the spikes are slender, more yellower in colour and lax. It is also common to see rounded insect galls hanging from the tree. pods are slightly flattened and curved

P. juliflora is a medium sized tree or shrub, the spines are longer and paired in leaf axils. The infloresnce is much more dense and pale yellow or creamy in colour, with greenish tinge. the pods are slender, long and cylindrical.” from Singh ji.

Apr 9, 2017, 4:41:00 AM4/9/17
to efloraofindia, Devendra Bhardwaj
I also feel it is closer to images at Prosopis juliflora (Sw.) DC.
P4050109.jpg