Best Photograph of the month and best display of photographs in one upload

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 28, 2011, 5:25:42 AM9/28/11
to efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
Dear members
It is time to make your decision for the best photograph uploaded during this month, and also the best set of photographs which highlighted the best identifying features of that plant. You may also examine photographs being uploaded in coming days up to 30th of September and send your nominations to me and Ushadi between October 1 to 3, mentioning the category, post number as it appears in the subject line.
   Each member is allowed two nominations: one each for Best photograph of the month and best set of photographs for the month. Kindly send these mails to me (sing...@gmail.com) and Ushadi  Micromini (micromi...@gmail.com) and not to the group.

I hope maximum number of members will participate in this contest.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

Sep 28, 2011, 11:17:11 AM9/28/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
Yes Sir we will participate. a very Good initiative
Thanks
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

ushadi Micromini

Sep 29, 2011, 2:06:23 PM9/29/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg
Dear All: I have made up a form... based on Gurcharan ji's paragraph (see below) : feel free to cut and paste to fill in blanks.. after you do your home work..

this month it will a bit of work...

My dad always said  a lot of work builds character... we build build some this month..xtra...

Looking forward to your entries :

1:    Person being nominated for best picture:

Name :

Post number :

Or Thread link URL:

Photograph number:

2:    Person being nominated for  best  set of pictures:

Name :

Post number :

Or Thread link URL:

Thanks Usha di

==
Based on what Gurcharanji wrote in his request earlier: I quote  "I would request All moderator friends to do some home work and send their nominations to me or Ushadi between October 1 and 3 so that we can compile and declare winners latest by 5th of October. Kindly mention Person, post No. (as it appears in subject line) and photograph number for best photograph and mention person and the subject line no for the best set of photographs. This will ensure that we have results even if not many general members send their nominations.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh   "   end quote

==============

HAPPY SUBMITTING.....

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 30, 2011, 5:38:03 AM9/30/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
Dear Members
Courtesy Dinesh ji, your job of nominations has been made much easier. He will upload the forms midnight so that you can start using it immediately (or wait for all uploads till 11.00 on October 1). There will be two separate forms, one for nominating best photograph of the month and one for nominating best set of photographs for the month. This facility will remain open till 11.00 a m on October 4, to provide three full days for nominations.

FINAL RULES FOR VOTING WILL BE NOTIFIED IN THE EVENING TODAY
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Sep 30, 2011, 5:39:42 AM9/30/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
Thanks Dinesh ji and Gurcharan Ji for making job easy

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 30, 2011, 10:42:25 AM9/30/11
to Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
Dear friends
After discussion in the moderator Group it has been decided that we will allow multiple voting in each category. Each member can nominate more than one photograph/set of photographs, there being no limit to the number of nominations a member can make. This decision has been taken for two reasons:

1. This being first month of this selection we do not know how many members will vote, and in case people vote for different photographs/sets, and we have several with single vote and none with more than one vote, selection would be impossible.

2. This month has seen unprecedented upload of high quality photographs and even I found impossible to select one, without ignoring others. With choice to nominate more than one, I think we can do better justice to all members with quality photographs. The one getting highest votes will be the winner in each category.

So please go ahead and vote as many times as you want, BUT NOT NOMINATION OF SAME PHOTOGRAPH/SET TWICE. You may nominate as many different photographs/sets as you like. You will have to fill up form separately for each nomination in a particular category.

FORMS WILL BE UPLOADED BY DINESH JI AT MIDNIGHT AND VOTING WOULD CLOSE ON OCTOBER 4 AT 11 A M

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

Sep 30, 2011, 11:26:49 AM9/30/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
Dear friends,

These forms will be received by you just as normally you would receive any post from eFI.
These are nothing but Usha di's forms which are converted into Google Forms.

The Google Form collates the responses received from the members and will take the burden off the coordinators (Gurcharan ji and Usha di) of assembling the responses in a logical manner.

Tomorrow among all the regular posts of eFI, please expect to find two posts from me --
1) Best Photograph of the month of Sep 2011
2) Best Set of Photographs in the month of Sep 2011

Re-iterating what Usha di has already said: Please keep ready the following information:

For the person being nominated for the best photograph:
  1. Filename of the photograph (that what is seen as the name of the attached photograph)
  2. Name of the person
  3. Post number OR Link to the post

For the person being nominated for best set of photographs:
  1. Name of the person
  2. Post number OR Link to the post

What is Post number OR Link to the post ?
1) If you are using your favourite webmail, please lookup in the subject line of the post; you will find the Post Number similar to this: [efloraofindia:XXXXX] copy-paste it into your notes
2) If you are using our Google Group's page at https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/indiantreepix ... lookup at the top, the words "Link to this topic" OR the icon seeming like a horizontal 8 ... click on it ... copy-paste the link into your notes.

Happy nominating !! ... remember you can nominate any number of photographs OR set of photographs.

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 30, 2011, 11:48:48 AM9/30/11
to Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
The mail carrying the photographs should have been uploaded this month. Photographs uploaded in previous months but resurfaced in this month, or thread carried to present month are not eligible for nomination.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Madhuri Raut

Oct 2, 2011, 12:09:13 AM10/2/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
I have a question
Can a member nominate himself/herself?
Regards
Bhagyashri

Balkar Arya

Oct 2, 2011, 12:11:58 AM10/2/11
to Madhuri Raut, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
Ya Good question Bhagyashri Ji!!!!!!
I was also thinking on the same line !!!!

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 2, 2011, 12:15:33 AM10/2/11
to Balkar Arya, Madhuri Raut, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
Yes of course, why not

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Madhuri Raut

Oct 2, 2011, 12:19:45 AM10/2/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
Thank you Gurcharanji and Balkarji

Regards
Bhagyashri

Balkar Arya

Oct 2, 2011, 12:19:45 AM10/2/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Raut, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
Thanks a Lot Sir !!!!!!

Madhuri Raut

Oct 2, 2011, 2:43:22 AM10/2/11
to Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
I am trying to add the nominations for best Pic and best set of pics. I have many to add and its getting tiring is my frank opinion. Due to fatigue I may refrain from adding more and inadvertently do injustice to some. I think this may happen to many.

Thinking about this I feel the following

1.Can we have to sub emailids for eflora one as efloraofindia_bestpic  &  efloraofindia_bestset

2. Whenever a member comes across a good pic/good set he /she should just forward it to the respective email addresses

3.The software development team I am sure can pick up all the necessary info from these forwarded msgs like date,subject line, from whom etc for analysis

4. If this is possible for the software development team the procedure will be much easier for the voter and also for statistical analysis team

5. The only problem will arise when we select best pic from a set
I do not know how to solve this problem

Regards
Bhagyashri

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 2, 2011, 2:55:18 AM10/2/11
to Madhuri Raut, Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
Madhuri ji
The present system is most ideal one. You need not nominate all. Do it for the ones which you consider worth nominating. All different people nominate and the data goes into one file at the end of the month to collate. If we agree to your suggestion (in fact we had decided like that till Dinesh ji came to our rescue) and there are thousands of mail who will go through all mails to know every nomination, put them in one file. It may take 5-6 days for one man. In present situation the data goes into file simultaneously.

Surely you won't like us to work for five days if the same thing can be done within half an hour. Let us try to understand and appreciate technology that simplifies our efforts

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Madhuri Raut

Oct 2, 2011, 5:11:05 AM10/2/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
@Gurcharanji
 I am sorry that I have not been able to put across my point properly. I assumed that there is a software development team which manages efloraofindia group.
Based on this assumption I proposed that they make a small software which would extract all the required info automatically in a matter of few seconds forget minutes. I had no intention or thought that someone type all this huge data. I was thinking how to save your time and make things easy for you.
I agree that the system devised by Dineshji  is excellent and ideal.
Regards
Bhagyshri

Dinesh Valke

Oct 2, 2011, 9:40:38 AM10/2/11
to Madhuri Raut, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
Dear friends,

It is good to note the frank opinion of Bhagyashri ji (aka Madhuri ji).

My wanting to put the Google Forms was to save the immense and harrowing trouble that the coordinators would face.
Specially because our group is very active !!

Google Groups, and for that matter any of the online groups, are facilities provided by Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, etc ... there are different flavours too ... for instance, Facebook too has concept of Groups.
But our group is already established with Google Groups.

Since this Group activity is not on a "hosted site" there is is no role of software team who can help us with solutions. (I see that you are now aware of this point).
Laymen like us will have to smartly make use of facilities provided by Google, or even other organization's, if it serves our purpose.

To make it simpler, the form could have had multiple type-in fields.
That is to say, if someone wants to nominate for one X person, Y number of best photographs, the form could be accordingly made.

BUT, the difficulty again shifts to the coordinators.
At the backstage, the data would get haphazardly populated ... that is, A person may put 1 entry, B may put 10, C may 3 .. and so on.
To sort and collate will be again added work to the coordinators.

Present solution is best suited to the nominator as well as the coordinator.

BUT if every member insists, we will have to re-think (OR re-design the form) to make our efforts simpler.

For this time, requesting everyone to come forward and cast at least single entry for each: Best Photograph and Best Set of Photographs.

Regards.
Dinesh

Madhuri Raut

Oct 2, 2011, 9:54:40 AM10/2/11
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
Thank you Dineshji for your response I was not aware that we do not have a software team support.
I am sorry to have made the suggestion . But I hope you understand that I was not aware of this because managing such a huge group activity is really difficult.
Regards
Bhagyashri

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 2, 2011, 10:06:13 AM10/2/11
to Madhuri Raut, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Ushadi micrmini
Madhuri ji
Perhaps we have to appreciate that the whole website, huge database and its management is a tremendous task that could be done only through full time involvement of Garg ji and Dinesh. Organising the whole website and providing links to all mails in our archives is a job which only they could have done. Perhaps more and more people have to volunteer for numerous jobs of the Group like updating website, coordinating monthly episodes, resurfacing of mails, etc. Unfortunately not many people are coming forward for these responsibilities, with both Garg ji and Dinesh ji bearing all pressure of load. When I was on visit to Kashmir, the work of resurfacing suffered for two months, and I am now trying to cope up to make up the lag of uploading. With more and more people getting involved, the group can progress a lot.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

ushadi Micromini

Oct 2, 2011, 1:10:28 PM10/2/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Raut, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Dear All: Gurcharanji and Dineshji....

I have looked at the forms a few times... and  it a goof form... putting all data in one form which updates itself is a good thing...  if all memebers had voted for 10 to 20 people I would be in for a long haul ... so these spreadsheets are good..

It ultimately would save a lot of effort... esp if everybody voted... as such it seems a few have voted for a few....

FOR any new venture there is a vetting period... like a pilot project... let this be our pilot project.. a  spread sheet can always be changed, the formulas edited /amended  etc...

Another thing could be points system... every body would put a score of say 1 to 10 ... than adding up the points and averaging would be easy...

I don't understand self nominating... every body likes their own baby... everyone thinks their own baby that they created is the most beautiful... whether the world agrees or not...

But since Gurcharanji has agreed to it... I won't object, but thats a bit weird to my sensibilities...   none of the world class camera clubs I have belonged to or still do, none has ever nominated himself or herself... even Ansel Admas never nominated himself... but ...times and people and country is different...    anyway no matter...  let it be...

lets have this competition and then revisit the process, in  a week' s time...
I just came home...
its almost 11 pm... don't I have till tomorrow to vote....? ie the 3rd of october?  I am dead tired emotionally and physically ...
goodnite.

Usha di

============

usha

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 2, 2011, 1:41:25 PM10/2/11
to ushadi Micromini, Madhuri Raut, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Ushadi
Asking for self voting is strange and I agreed because at least two asked for it. Let us see how many self vote. We should always be open in our approach, then only good things evolve.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Madhuri Raut

Oct 2, 2011, 1:56:30 PM10/2/11
to Gurcharan Singh, ushadi Micromini, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
This is the first time I am participating in any kind of voting other than elections. I had heard that a contestant can vote for himself and I have seen this happen during elections so similarly this thought occured to me. But if this is strange and so weird I withdraw my question and yes I have voted for myself what little I liked (I am not good at photography). I REQUEST YOU TO CANCEL THESE VOTES . I have joined this group to learn about plants and enjoy the beautiful pictures of nature that members post. I HAVE NO INTENTION TO GET NOMINATED FOR BEST PHOTOGRAPH OR BEST SET OF PICTURES
Best regards
Bhagyashri

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 2, 2011, 10:49:30 PM10/2/11
to Madhuri Raut, ushadi Micromini, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Madhuri ji
I hope you would slowly adjust to the atmosphere of the group, and continue with the same zeal. It is important that we enjoy the interactions and not get upset by small things in life. These can only further upset your peace of mind. Simply enjoy interacting on the group and don't get bothered by small things. You are great asset for the group and use it for the progress of the group. There are numerous things that a member can do for the group.