140711 RV 1

renee vyas vyas

Jul 14, 2011, 12:05:43 PM7/14/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Friends,

I saw this woody climber flowering in Sudhagadh district, about 100 km from Mumbai in wild.

Please help to identify this climber.

Regards,

Renee
Pali 2-a_1.JPG
Pali 2-b_1.jpg
Pali 2-c_1.JPG

Prashant awale

Jul 14, 2011, 12:56:44 PM7/14/11
to renee vyas vyas, efloraofindia
Dear Renee ji,
This looks like some Embelia sp.? (Family: Myrsinaceae).
Regards
Prashant

Neil Soares

Jul 14, 2011, 12:58:11 PM7/14/11
to efloraofindia, renee vyas vyas
Hi Renee,
 This is Wavding [Embelia basaal]. Will send my photographs of this later.
                      Regards,
                       Neil.

Vijayasankar

Jul 14, 2011, 1:03:03 PM7/14/11
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia, renee vyas vyas
The nomenclature of this group is confusing, to me at least!
However, the posted plant is Embelia tsjeriam-cottam.

E. basaal (now E. aurantiaca) has subfleshy leaves that taste sour. Fruits are edible.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Neil Soares

Jul 14, 2011, 1:34:41 PM7/14/11
to Vijayasankar, efloraofindia, renee vyas vyas
Hi,
 Embelia tsjarjum-cottam is a synonym of Embelia basaal according to Dr.Almeida's "Flora of Maharashtra" Vol 3.
 Embelia basaal is the currently accepted terminology. Sending my photographs of Wavding taken in my forest at Shahapur in July last year. My previous photographs of this are also available in the archives of this group
                        Regards,
                          Neil Soares.

--- On Thu, 7/14/11, Vijayasankar <vijay.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
Embelia basaal, Wavding flowering 1.jpg
Embelia basaal, Wavding flowering 2.jpg
Embelia basaal, Wavding flowering 3.jpg
Embelia basaal, Wavding flowering 4.jpg
Embelia basaal, Wavding flowering 5.jpg
Embelia basaal, Wavding flowering 6.jpg
Embelia basaal, Wavding flowering 7.jpg

Ushadi micromini

Jul 15, 2011, 2:01:52 AM7/15/11
to efloraofindia
Wonderful thread, and photos, esp Dr. Soares'...

WAVDING is an important ayurvedic herb...
its listed in ayurvedic herb books as Embelica ribes....
and not this.... e. basaal...

any ayurvedic medicine plant expert among us?

lets hear from you...
Usha di
=========

On Jul 14, 10:34 pm, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  Embelia tsjarjum-cottam is a synonym of Embelia basaal according to Dr.Almeida's "Flora of Maharashtra" Vol 3.
>  Embelia basaal is the currently accepted terminology. Sending my photographs of Wavding taken in my forest at Shahapur in July last year. My previous photographs of this are also available in the archives of this group
>                         Regards,
>                           Neil Soares.

H S

Jul 15, 2011, 6:28:22 AM7/15/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia

The correct identity of commercial ‘Vauding’ used in Ayurvedic preparation Embelia basaal (R. & S.) A. DC., which also has following synonyms

Ardisia basaal Roem. & Schult., Syst. 4:617-8,1819.

Embelia robusta Roxb., Fl. Ind. 1:587, 1832.

Embelia acutipetalum (Lamk. ex Hassk.) Almeida & Almeida in Journ. Bombay. Nat. hist. Soc. 81: 741, 1984 (1985).

Embelia acuta Alston in Trimen, Hands. Fl. Ceylon 6: Suppl. 177, 1931.

The identity and nomenclature of this species is much confused in the past literature due to following two main reasons:

  1. The plant used under the name ‘Vauding’ or ‘Vidanga’ (Embelia ribes Burm. f.) is of doubtful identity of which presently used name has lot of technical mistakes which require careful corrections in light of ‘Rules of International Code of Botanical Nomenclature’. Its medicinal properties are not proven beyond doubt. Actually the plant used in Maharashtra is altogether different species, than the plant used under that name.
  2. Actual plant in medicine and used in commercial use in Maharashtra has confusions in its correct name.

The earlier common name for ‘Vauding’ in Maharashtra is ‘Basaal’ published by Drakestein van Rheede in Fifth volume of ‘Hortus Malabaricus’ (1685) which has made line-drawings of more than 800 species from Malabar Coast, presently called the West Coast of India or Coast of Konkan. In those days East Coast of India was called Coast of Coromandel and West Coast as Coast of Malabar.

‘Basaal’ of van Rheede for the first time, was named under Linnaean binomial system of Nomenclature and under Sexual system of classification included in class Pentandria monogyna by Roemer and Schulters (1819) as Ardisia basaal Roem. & Schulters, based on presence of 5 stamens and one chambered cells of the ovaries in the flowers.

Presently genus Ardisia O. Swartz is placed in Robert Brown’s family Myrsinaceae. As per Bentham & Hooker’s, Natural system of classification our species falls under same family Myrsinaceae, but it differs in Generic concept of Ardisia O. Sw. and has been shifted to genus Embelia Burm. f. (nom. cons.).

Some authors, like Wight (1852), Cooke (1903), Santapau (1967), Malhotra & Moorthy (1971), Bole & Almeida (1984), Nicolson et al (1988), Ugemuge (1986) had confused ‘Vauding’ with Embelia tsjarium-cottam, an Euphorbiaceous species based on another drawings in Rheede’s ‘Hortus Malabaricus’ (Tsjarium-cottam, Hortus Malabaricus 5: 21-4, t-11, 1685), which goes under the name of Antidesma ghasembilla in our Indian Floras for which correct name is Antidesma pubescens Roxb.

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Dr. Shiddamallayya Mathapati

Jul 20, 2011, 2:37:00 AM7/20/11
to H S, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
The correct identity of Ayurvedic  ‘Vidanga’  Embelia ibes N. Burman
--
Dr. Shiddamallayya N,
Survey of Medicinal Plant Unit

Smilax004

Jul 20, 2011, 3:08:46 AM7/20/11
to Dr. Shiddamallayya Mathapati, indiantreepix

Dear Dr Shiddamallayya.

The plant in the picture is not Vidanga/Vizhalari (I think you missed
to type 'r' and I read the species name as E.ribes). Please refer the
links below.
My photographs taken while working on the reproductive ecology of E
ribes in Kudremukh national parks are saved in disks that kept in my
native hence I am unable to upload now. E. ribes is a large climber/
Liana with rough bark because of lenticels and the leaves are small
with lots of glands.

The plant in the picture is Embelia tsjeriam-cottam as Vijaysankar
suggested (. I think Embelia basaal put under unresolved (ref:
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/search?q=embelia) species category. I
haven't got any other valid information other than HS provided to
think the id as Embelia basaal. But still I doubt whether these 2 are
synonyms or 2 different species.

Embelia ribes;
http://www.ayurnepal.com/en/bidang.html
http://parisaramahiti.kar.nic.in/Medicinal_plants_new/med%20plants/p89.html