Commelinales & Zingiberales Week: Day Flower

Narendra Joshi

Feb 9, 2011, 12:03:53 AM2/9/11
to indiantreepix
Commelina Diffusa - Day Flower

--
With Regards,
Narendra Joshi

Gandologi - Commelina Diffusa.JPG

Mayur Nandikar

Feb 9, 2011, 12:58:59 AM2/9/11
to Narendra Joshi, indiantreepix
Nice caption...........

Commelina diffusa Burm. f., Fl. Ind. 13, t. 7, f. 2. 1768; Rolla Rao in Notes Roy. Bot. Gard. Edinb. 25: 179. 1964; Panigrahi & Kammathy in J. Ind. Bot. Soc. 43: 299. 1964; Lakshminarsimhan in Sharma et al., Fl. Maharashtra (Monocot.) 151, 1996; Faden In: Dassanayake (ed.), Rev. Handb. Fl. Ceylon 14: 184. 2000. Commelina nudiflora sensu Hook. f., Fl. Brit. India 6: 369. 1892 non L. 1753; Cooke, Fl. Pres. Bombay 3: 290. 1906.

         Perennial with diffusely spreading shoots rooting at the nodes, lacking a definite base; roots thin, fibrous. Leaves distichous, sheaths to 2 cm long, ciliate at the apex, lamina linear-lanceolate to lanceolate-elliptic, 1.5-9.5 x 0.4-1.8 cm, glabrous. Spathes on peduncles (0.7-) 1.3-2.4 cm long, solitary, 1.1-3.5 cm long, 0.4-0.8 cm high, apex acuminate, base cordate, not at all to slightly falcate, margins free, smooth to scabrous or ciliolate, surfaces glabrous; upper cincinnus usually 1-several-flowered; lower cincinnus several-flowered. Flowers bisexual (lower and occasionally upper cincinnus) and male (upper cincinnus), (9-)11.5-17 (-20) mm wide, sepals free; paired petals c. 8 mm wide, blue; medial petal smaller, concolorous; staminodes 2-3, anthrodes cruciform, yellow; anther of medial stamen with a violet connective. Capsules oblong-elliptic to quadrate, trilocular, 4.5-7 x 3-4 (-4.5) mm, dorsal locule 1-seeded, ventral locules (1-)2-seeded. Ventral locule seeds broadly ovate to transversely elliptic in outline, 1.7-2.8 x 1.3-1.8 mm , testa dark brown, doubly reticulate, usually white-farinose.

Flowering and fruiting: October to July.

Ecology: Margins of pools, streams, rivers, ponds and marshes, sometimes growing in water; roadsides, open scrub, evergreen forest, forest edge, and weed in rice.

--
Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,

tanay bose

Feb 9, 2011, 9:27:30 AM2/9/11
to Mayur Nandikar, Narendra Joshi, indiantreepix
The snap is really cool
and thanks for the description Mayur Ji
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

manudev madhavan

Feb 11, 2011, 6:38:58 AM2/11/11
to tanay bose, Mayur Nandikar, Narendra Joshi, indiantreepix
Mayurji,

Am  not sure but I could see some pubescence upon the spathe in the picture.
Do Commelina diffusa have such hairs on spathe?
in your description, it has a glabrous surface.

--
Manudev K Madhavan
Systematic & Floristic Lab,

J.M. Garg

May 20, 2011, 10:53:04 PM5/20/11
to efloraofindia, narendra joshi, Mayur Nandikar, manudev madhavan, Gurcharan Singh

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Mayurji,

Am  not sure but I could see some pubescence upon the spathe in the picture.

Do Commelina diffusa have such hairs on spathe?

in your description, it has a glabrous surface.” from Manudev ji.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1600 members & 69,000 messages on 30/4/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 4500 species)

Gandologi - Commelina Diffusa.JPG

J.M. Garg

Aug 26, 2011, 4:07:33 AM8/26/11
to efloraofindia, mnan...@gmail.com, manudev madhavan, Narendra Joshi
Some earlier relevant feedback:
“Mayurji,
Am  not sure but I could see some pubescence upon the spathe in the picture. Do Commelina diffusa have such hairs on spathe? in your description, it has a glabrous surface.” from Manudev ji.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1680 members & 75,000 messages on 31/7/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 5000 species)

Gandologi - Commelina Diffusa.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 27, 2011, 7:52:00 AM10/27/11
to efloraofindia, Narendra Joshi, mayur nandikar, manudev madhavan
Some earlier relevant feedback:
“Mayurji,
Am  not sure but I could see some pubescence upon the spathe in the picture. Do Commelina diffusa have such hairs on spathe? in your description, it has a glabrous surface.” from Manudev ji.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Nov 1, 2011, 6:55:26 AM11/1/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Narendra Joshi, mayur nandikar, manudev madhavan
Hello to all,
I apologies for the wrong ID, thank you Manudev ji for neat observations.
This may be close to Commelina  paleata Hassk.

--
Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,