Request for ID : 081011 : AK-4

Aarti S. Khale

Oct 8, 2011, 3:00:45 AM10/8/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
A wild plant taken on the 8th of Sept,11 at Pahalgam, Kashmir.
Found these at many places along the roads.
I was asked to keep away as these if touched, can leave a burning sensation on the skin.
Aarti
DSCN2130.JPG

Nidhan Singh

Oct 8, 2011, 3:19:01 AM10/8/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
This is known as Bichhoo Booti, bites like scorpion, causes burning sensation due to minute stings present on the entire body, this can be an Urtica sp. (Urticaceae)

--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Aarti S. Khale

Oct 8, 2011, 5:23:17 AM10/8/11
to Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Smita Raskar
Nidhan ji, Smita ji,
Thanks for the possible id and additional information.
Regards,
Aarti

Na Bha

Oct 8, 2011, 6:53:58 AM10/8/11
to Aarti S. Khale, Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Smita Raskar
yes  Brennnessel (German), stinging nettel (english)  (Urtica dioica), fodder plant for many butterflies. Used as liquid manure, ichor (Jauche) used against aphids
young leaves used in salad, to make soups,  Brennnessel tee is quite popular.
Brennnessel fiber was used around 1900 as "the poor man's cloth." I remember to have read somewhere that during the last war the fiber was used for army clothing.
roots boiled give amber / yellow color, used to paint eggs in easter.

Every natureloving gardner should have a corner in the garden with Brennnessel.

Satish Chile

Oct 8, 2011, 6:56:21 AM10/8/11
to Na Bha, Aarti S. Khale, Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Smita Raskar
Yes it is Urtica dioica. Found in Pachmarhi (M.P.)
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Ushadi micromini

Oct 8, 2011, 7:43:23 AM10/8/11
to efloraofindia
yes, stings... like the stinging nettle of europe... the tips of the
hairs on the plants' parts has histamine... same chemical released by
our body when we have allergies and its reactions sting the eyes,
nose, skin etc, remember?//

Yields strong fine fibre... from the stems... princess and seven swans
was not just a fairy tale...

Nettles also make a nice tea or soup if picked with gloves, washed and
boiled... rich in calcium magnesium and carotenes...

Usha di
====

On Oct 8, 2:23 pm, "Aarti S. Khale" <aarti.kh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nidhan ji, Smita ji,
> Thanks for the possible id and additional information.
> Regards,
> Aarti

Aarti S. Khale

Oct 8, 2011, 10:53:25 AM10/8/11
to Ushadi micromini, Na Bha, Satish Chile, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, aarti...@gmail.com, Nidhan Singh
Satish ji,
Thanks for the id.
Nalini ji, Usha di.....thanks for the id as well as additional
information, uses, recipes, composition.
Posting one picture has given me all this additional info.
Many thanks to you.
Regards,
Aarti

ushadi Micromini

Oct 8, 2011, 11:16:48 AM10/8/11
to Aarti S. Khale, Na Bha, Satish Chile, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh
dear all:

I have come to believe that the information received is due to generosity of the giver, not because  one  "posted ONE picture"

lets not kid ourselves....

usha di
=====

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 8, 2011, 11:19:10 AM10/8/11
to ushadi Micromini, Aarti S. Khale, Na Bha, Satish Chile, efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh
Yes Urtica dioica

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 8, 2011, 1:36:13 PM10/8/11
to efloraofindia
Urtica dioca.
Pankaj

On Oct 8, 11:19 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes Urtica dioica
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 8:46 PM, ushadi Micromini
> <microminipho...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > dear all:
>
> > I have come to believe that the information received is due to generosity
> > of the giver, not because  one  "posted ONE picture"
>
> > lets not kid ourselves....
>
> > usha di
> > =====

Aarti S. Khale

Oct 9, 2011, 2:07:54 AM10/9/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji, Pankaj ji,
Thanks for confirming the id.
Regards,
Aarti