Lamiaceae week: Rosemary

Muthu Karthick

Jul 4, 2011, 6:06:15 AM7/4/11
to efloraofindia

Name: Rosmarinus officinalis L.
Family: :Lamiaceae
Common name: Rosemary
Photographed at Cambridge, UK

I have also seen this plant in Ooty of Nilgiris. Local people use this as medicinal plant.

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

Foto 391.jpg
Foto 387.jpg
Foto 388.jpg
Foto 389.jpg
Foto 390.jpg

amit chauhan

Jul 4, 2011, 6:56:15 AM7/4/11
to Muthu Karthick, globalaromaticplants, efloraofindia

A powerful anti oxidant and dry leaves used as spices, essential oil also reported. A herbal tea can be prepared by adding some dry leaves of Rosemary providing great aroma and taste.

regards
--
Dr. Amit Chauhan
Junior Technical Assistant

mani nair

Jul 5, 2011, 12:22:14 AM7/5/11
to amit chauhan, Muthu Karthick, globalaromaticplants, efloraofindia
Amitji beautiful photos of Rosemary.  It is believed that smelling Rosemary is good for people suffering from low memory.  The essential oil obtained from Rosemary is added in bathing water. I have tried to propagate this plant from stem cuttings from the Rosemary sold in the local market and was successful, but  due to my over care  and heat of Mumbai it did not survive for more than a year.  Better luck next time.

Regards,

Mani.

Na Bha

Jul 5, 2011, 6:39:00 AM7/5/11
to mani nair, amit chauhan, Muthu Karthick, globalaromaticplants, efloraofindia
Thank you Muthu ji,
for sharing this beautiful plant. I saw it growing wild and in plenty on
Canary islands and in Apulien / Puglia (south Italy). It has a very
pleasent frangrance.
Yes, the oil is added to bathwater or applied to the body after the bath
to increase the skin-bloodcirculation. It is also used in many spices
and goes very well with banana.
I have a small plant in a pot. Mani ji, i was surprised to read that
your plant did not survive in the heat in Mumbai. Rosemary likes hot
weather. My plant I have to take into the house in winter.
Better Luck next time.
Regards
Nalini

mani nair

Jul 6, 2011, 2:02:26 AM7/6/11
to Na Bha, amit chauhan, Muthu Karthick, globalaromaticplants, efloraofindia
Thanks Nalini ji for the info on Rosemary and best wishes.  I think it could be due to over watering.  Next time I will be careful.

Regards,

Mani.