Request for species id, DKV 230211-1

Dev Kumar

Feb 22, 2011, 4:01:58 PM2/22/11
to indiantreepix
Seen growing near a stream

Mhow, Indore, Madhya Pradesh

DSC09762.JPG

Neil Soares

Feb 22, 2011, 9:43:03 PM2/22/11
to indiantreepix, Dev Kumar
Hi,
 This is Marsh Barbel [Hygrophila schulli] locally called Talimkhana.
                      With regards,
                        Neil Soares.

Satish Chile

Feb 23, 2011, 1:55:40 AM2/23/11
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Dev Kumar
Hygrophila schulli or Astercantha longifolia ?
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Neil Soares

Feb 23, 2011, 2:05:50 AM2/23/11
to Satish Chile, indiantreepix, Dev Kumar
Hi Dr. Chile,
  Asteracantha longifolia is a synonym of Hygrophila schulli.
                     With regards,
                       Neil Soares.

Bhatt Sweta

Feb 23, 2011, 3:58:57 AM2/23/11
to Neil Soares, Satish Chile, indiantreepix, Dev Kumar
Also know as Talimkhana or Kokilaksha

Its member of Acanthaceae plant family.

This is an annual herb or under shrub, it grows to a height of about 60 cms.

Generally the plant is found on wet places.

The stem is square and thickened at nodes and hairy.

The bark is dark brown. T

he leaves are elliptic-lanceolate, hispid and sessile.

The flowers are bluish purple.

The capsules are 1 cm. long, linear oblong, pointed glabrous, and about 8 seeded.

Seeds are dark brown, hairy and spherical.

The powdered seeds with water forms a gel.

The flowering season is September-March.

Usage:

In Ayurveda the leaves, seeds and the roots are used for treatment of rheumatism, urinary tract infection, inflammation, jaundice, hepatic obstruction, pain, etc.
So basically, entire plant is useful.

Regards,
Shweta

(P.S. Was my Dissertation plant in 2002-2003)
--
Bhatt Shweta
Asso. Prof.,

Rashida Atthar

Feb 23, 2011, 4:08:24 AM2/23/11
to Bhatt Sweta, Neil Soares, Satish Chile, indiantreepix, Dev Kumar
Great information Sweta ji. Good to see you becoming more active on the ggroup !

regards,
Rashida.

Dev Kumar

Feb 23, 2011, 4:31:00 AM2/23/11
to Bhatt Sweta, Neil Soares, Satish Chile, indiantreepix
Hi Sweta,
Thank you for the information. It inspired me to search. Acc to the Wikipedia article: This plant is native to India. In India, its seeds, roots, and panchang (panch = five ang = parts, i.e. root, flower, stem, fruit, and leaves as ash burnt together) are used as a medication in ayurveda.
Plenty of info here:
Regards
Dev

Neil Soares

Feb 23, 2011, 5:53:43 AM2/23/11
to Bhatt Sweta, Satish Chile, indiantreepix, Dev Kumar
Hi,
 Great information ! Sending my photographs of the same.
                      Regards,
                        Neil Soares.

--- On Wed, 2/23/11, Bhatt Sweta <bhatt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Talimkhana 1.jpg
Talimkhana 2.jpg

Satish Chile

Feb 24, 2011, 3:16:01 AM2/24/11
to Neil Soares, Bhatt Sweta, indiantreepix, Dev Kumar
Useful information by Shweta ji. This plant grows as weed in our locality in Rice fields.