ID request-30012011-PKA2

Prashant awale

Jan 29, 2011, 3:09:59 PM1/29/11
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

Seen this plant hanging down from a big tree. Could be some Parasitic plant??

Date/Time: 19-01-2010 / 04:00PM

Location: Mabhige, North Karnataka

Habitat: Wild.

regards
Prashant
IMG_4034.jpg
IMG_4036.jpg
IMG_4037.jpg
IMG_4039.jpg

shrikant ingalhalikar

Jan 29, 2011, 8:51:21 PM1/29/11
to efloraofindia
Lepisanthes umbellata, a climbing shrub of Papaveraceae. Regards,
Shrikant
>  IMG_4034.jpg
> 191KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_4036.jpg
> 200KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_4037.jpg
> 204KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_4039.jpg
> 199KViewDownload

tanay bose

Jan 29, 2011, 9:09:19 PM1/29/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
A new plant for me I had no ideae papaveraceae had climbers
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 29, 2011, 9:48:09 PM1/29/11
to tanay bose, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Shrikant ji
I see some confusion somewhere. Lepisanthes is a genus of Family Sapindaceae, trees and shrubs.

I see no match for Lepisanthes umbellata in IPNI, GRIN or even Kew Plant list

The only reference I found in the link indicated below, a member of Piperaceae, I think again in error

Perhaps you can throw some light.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

shrikant ingalhalikar

Jan 29, 2011, 10:04:19 PM1/29/11
to efloraofindia
Extremely sorry for the error. Pls read as Lepianthes umbellata (L.)
Raf. Regards, Shrikant

On Jan 30, 7:48 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shrikant ji
> I see some confusion somewhere. Lepisanthes is a genus of Family
> Sapindaceae, trees and shrubs.
>
> I see no match for Lepisanthes umbellata in IPNI, GRIN or even Kew Plant
> list
>
> The only reference I found in the link indicated below, a member of
> Piperaceae, I think again in error
>
>  http://shendurney.com/checklists/thenmalamedicinal_plants.pdf
>
> <http://shendurney.com/checklists/thenmalamedicinal_plants.pdf>Perhaps you
> can throw some light.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
> > *Tanay Bose*
> > Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> > Department of Botany.
> > University of British Columbia .
> > 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> > Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> > Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
> >            604-822-2019 (Lab)
> >            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> > ta...@interchange.ubc.ca
> > *Webpages:*
> >http://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/mberbee.html
> >http://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/gradstud.html
> >https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/- Hide quoted text -

shrikant ingalhalikar

Jan 29, 2011, 10:23:20 PM1/29/11
to efloraofindia
A mix up in excitiment. Lepianthes umbellata (L.) Raf. is now
Pothomorphe umbellata (L.) Miq. and it is Piperaceae and not
Papaveraceae. Hope now this is on dot. Regards, Shrikant

On Jan 30, 8:04 am, shrikant ingalhalikar <le...@rediffmail.com>
wrote:
> > >https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/-Hide quoted text -

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 29, 2011, 10:30:54 PM1/29/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Yes Prashant ji
Now I know where the error lies in the link I had forwarded.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Prashant awale

Jan 29, 2011, 10:31:38 PM1/29/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Dear Shrikant ji,
 Just a small doubt,  "What we see in the photographs i posted  are fruits, leaves or something else?"

regards
Prashant

shrikant ingalhalikar

Jan 29, 2011, 10:41:18 PM1/29/11
to efloraofindia
They are flowers, or rather inflorences similar to Pepper. Regards,
Shrikant

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 29, 2011, 10:42:18 PM1/29/11
to Prashant awale, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Prashant ji
I think we can see a few leaves in the last photograph. They should look like these:

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Prashant awale

Jan 29, 2011, 10:45:13 PM1/29/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thanks Shrikant ji. I don,t think i would have ever come closer to this ID myself. I was initially thinking it to be some parasitic climber.

Thanks Shrikant ji for sorting out this mystery.

regards
Prashant