Names of Plants in India :: Impatiens pulcherrima

Dinesh Valke

Aug 27, 2011, 4:01:56 AM8/27/11
to efloraofindia
via Species‎ > ‎I‎ > ‎

Impatiens pulcherrima Dalz.

Flowers of IndiaDiscussions at efloraofindiamore views in flickrmore views on Google Earth

im-PAY-shuns -- impatient; referring to the seed pod's habit of bursting open
pul-KAIR-ih-muh -- beautiful

commonly known as: handsome flowered balsam, western hill balsam • Marathi: ढाल तेरडा dhal-terda

botanical name: Impatiens pulcherrima Dalz. ... synonyms: no synonym

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Photographed at base of Tikona fort (~2700ft asl) on 23 JUL 11
... more at http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Impatienspulcherrima&w=91314344%40N00&m=tags

Would like to know the names of this plant in Konkani, Kannada and Malayalam.

Regards.
Dinesh

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 27, 2011, 8:50:42 AM8/27/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Very nice Picture!
Would you please share us the place of this plant?

Thanks and Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Dinesh Valke

Aug 27, 2011, 9:12:23 AM8/27/11
to Giby Kuriakose, efloraofindia
Dear Giby ji and friends,
The location and place details are already put ... perhaps not easily noticed.

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Photographed at base of Tikona fort (~2700ft asl) on 23 JUL 11

Check coordinates on Wikimapia: http://wikimapia.org/#lat=18.632841&lon=73.516991&z=17&l=0&m=b&search=18.632841%20N%2C%2073.516991%20E

Regards.
Dinesh

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 27, 2011, 9:28:12 AM8/27/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thank you for directing us to the link.

Regards
Giby

Dinesh Valke

Mar 27, 2023, 4:57:31 AM3/27/23
to eFloraofIndia

Dinesh Valke

Mar 27, 2023, 5:00:14 AM3/27/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Impatiens pulcherrima Dalzell

Impatiens pulcherrima Dalzell

im-PAY-shuns -- impatient; referring to the seed pod's habit of bursting open ... Dave's Botanary
pul-KAIR-ih-muh -- beautiful ... Dave's Botanary

commonly known as: handsome-flowered balsam, western hill balsam • Kannada: dhalu kundala ಡಾಲು ಕುಂಡಲ • Konkani: ढाल चिरडो dhal chirdo • Marathi: ढाल तेरडा dhal-terda

botanical names: Impatiens pulcherrima Dalzell ... synonyms: none known ... POWO
Bibliography / etymology
~~~~~ ENGLISH ~~~~~
handsome-flowered balsam, western hill balsam
~~~~~ KANNADA ~~~~~
dhalu kundala ಡಾಲು ಕುಂಡಲ
~~~~~ KONKANI ~~~~~
ढाल चिरडो dhal chirdo
  • name coined, for want of name; ढाल dhal = shield; चिरडो chirdo = generic name for most of Impatiens species ... the flower alludes to a shield
  • Enumeration of plants from Gomantak India with a note on botanical excursions to the Castlerock area by V D Vartak
~~~~~ MALAYALAM ~~~~~
no given name / no name found
~~~~~ MARATHI ~~~~~
ढाल तेरडा dhal-terda
  • name coined, for want of name, by Shrikant Ingalhalikar, the author of Flowers of Sahyadri, the first among the three field guides to identify plants of northern Western Ghats of India, based on flowers ... ढाल dhal = shield; तेरडा terda = generic name for most of Impatiens species ... the flower alludes to a shield
~~~~~ x ~~~~~

J.M. Garg

Mar 27, 2023, 5:48:18 AM3/27/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, DineshValke
Great work, Dinesh ji

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/CABSQqC3q_bN_y0tzhy-UaSc-koykhVZWwjTY2ky0o2P6SpEs%3DA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 28, 2023, 2:43:29 PM3/28/23
to eFloraofIndia
Great contribution Dinesh ji.

Dinesh Valke

Mar 29, 2023, 3:24:57 AM3/29/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh
Thanks very much Garg ji and Gurcharan ji, for the appreciation.
Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Mar 29, 2023, 3:31:07 AM3/29/23
to Sam Kuzhalanattu, efloraofindia
Dear Sam ji, thank you very much.
Let us prefer not to spell English names in Malayalam. It will be charming if we coin a name in regional language OR go without a name.
Regards.
Dinesh

On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 8:24 PM Sam Kuzhalanattu <samkuzh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Dinesh ji,
We can call it in Malayalam as ബാൾസം Balsam.
With regards, Sam.

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Mar 29, 2023, 11:18:11 AM3/29/23
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh ji,
Here, we Malayalees commonly calling this kind of balsam plant in Malayalam as ബാൾസം Balsam.
With regards, Sam.

Dinesh Valke

Mar 30, 2023, 4:00:27 AM3/30/23
to Sam Kuzhalanattu, efloraofindia
Thanks Sam ji.
I will shortly add the name ബാൾസം Balsam for this species.
I wanted to highlight the fact that the English name "balsam" is a common name given to every species of Impatiens, be it ornamental or wild.
I am assuming that this species, though occurring in the wild, perhaps is grown more commonly as ornamental in homes and gardens of Kerala.
Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Mar 30, 2023, 4:06:43 AM3/30/23
to Sam Kuzhalanattu, efloraofindia
Malayalam name added ...

Impatiens pulcherrima Dalzell

Impatiens pulcherrima Dalzell

im-PAY-shuns -- impatient; referring to the seed pod's habit of bursting open ... Dave's Botanary
pul-KAIR-ih-muh -- beautiful ... Dave's Botanary

commonly known as: handsome-flowered balsam, western hill balsam • Kannada: dhalu kundala ಡಾಲು ಕುಂಡಲ • Konkani: ढाल चिरडो dhal chirdo • Malayalam: ബാൾസം balsam • Marathi: ढाल तेरडा dhal-terda

botanical names: Impatiens pulcherrima Dalzell ... synonyms: none known ... POWO
Bibliography / etymology
~~~~~ ENGLISH ~~~~~
handsome-flowered balsam, western hill balsam
~~~~~ KANNADA ~~~~~
dhalu kundala ಡಾಲು ಕುಂಡಲ
~~~~~ KONKANI ~~~~~
ढाल चिरडो dhal chirdo
  • name coined, for want of name; ढाल dhal = shield; चिरडो chirdo = generic name for most of Impatiens species ... the flower alludes to a shield
  • Enumeration of plants from Gomantak India with a note on botanical excursions to the Castlerock area by V D Vartak
~~~~~ MALAYALAM ~~~~~
ബാൾസം balsam
  • Many thanks to Sam Kuzhalanattu for help with this name ... efloraofindia
~~~~~ MARATHI ~~~~~
ढाल तेरडा dhal-terda
  • name coined, for want of name, by Shrikant Ingalhalikar, the author of Flowers of Sahyadri, the first among the three field guides to identify plants of northern Western Ghats of India, based on flowers ... ढाल dhal = shield; तेरडा terda = generic name for most of Impatiens species ... the flower alludes to a shield
~~~~~ x ~~~~~

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Mar 30, 2023, 4:32:43 AM3/30/23
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh ji,
At first sight it can be identified as Balsam, in this way, so I named it as ബാൾസം Balsam.
With regards, Sam.

Dinesh Valke

Mar 30, 2023, 4:36:01 AM3/30/23
to Sam Kuzhalanattu, efloraofindia