Catharanthus pusillus -- Apocynaceae

Prashant awale

Nov 1, 2010, 2:53:16 AM11/1/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

This is a wild herb.
Common name: Tiny Periwinkle
Bot. name: Catharanthus pusillus
Family: Apocynaceae

Location:  Pisol fort, Dhule, Maharashtra.

regards
Prashant
sangkhi-2.JPG
sangkhi-5.JPG

Balkar Arya

Nov 1, 2010, 3:56:48 AM11/1/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Little but nice flower Prashant Ji

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Satish Phadke

Nov 1, 2010, 11:57:29 AM11/1/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Here is my specimen of Catharanthus pusillus. It was growing wild in a field.
Dr Phadke
DSCN1864 Catharanthus pusillus.jpg
DSCN1862Catharanthus pusillus.jpg

tanay bose

Nov 1, 2010, 12:35:15 PM11/1/10
to Satish Phadke, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Not very common in Bengal Never seen one
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 1, 2010, 12:36:29 PM11/1/10
to Satish Phadke, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Some how never seen this one. Thanks for sharing

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 1, 2010, 2:10:43 PM11/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Catharanthus pusillus G.Don Gen. Hist. iv. 95 (1836).

I love this plant. In Jharkhand this is supposed to be highly
medicinal for multiple purpose. A very cute small but beautiful plant.

Catharanthus Pure (immaculate) flower
pussilus means very small, maybe in comparison to Catharanthus roseus
to which the flower depicts very close resemblance.

Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 1, 2010, 2:12:45 PM11/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Missed to add, infact this is very common in Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand
Orissa till Andhra. Flowers during late Summer. Not seen very commonly
towards Uttarakhand.
Regards
Pankaj