Kiwfruit

nabha meghani

Jan 10, 2011, 12:01:10 PM1/10/11
to efloraofindia

Available throughout the year, rich on vitamin c. Looks like Chikoo but inside it is quite different. Kiwijam is lecker.

Also known as the Chinese gooseberry,[1] the fruit was renamed for export marketing reasons in the 1950s; briefly to melonette, and then later by New Zealand exporters to kiwifruit. This name "kiwifruit" comes from the kiwi — a brown flightless bird and New Zealand's national symbol, and also a colloquial name for the New Zealand people.

We planted a climber in our garden last year, no fruits yet. At present there is not much to see. shall send fotos when leaves appear.

Regards
Nalini
Kiwi-100_9727.JPG
Kiwi-100_9726.JPG

Ritesh Choudhary

Jan 10, 2011, 7:28:22 PM1/10/11
to efloraofindia
In Arunachal Pradesh, I enjoyed them a lot. They are cultivated in
high altitude areas and sold at a cheaper rate.....@ Rs. 20/- to 50/-
kg. But in S. Korea, they are available @ Rs. 300/- kg.

Regards,
Ritesh.

tanay bose

Jan 10, 2011, 7:49:55 PM1/10/11
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
I too enjoy these fruits too !!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 10, 2011, 7:58:16 PM1/10/11
to tanay bose, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Here are mine from California stores.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Actidinia-chinensis-Kiwi-California-1.jpg
Actidinia-chinensis-Kiwi-California-2.jpg

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jan 10, 2011, 8:18:53 PM1/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Dear Sir,

Thanks for sharing the beautiful photographs. But I cannot make out any difference between A. chinensis and A. strigosa which is cultivated in Nepal, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh. Kindly enlighten us on this.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 11, 2011, 1:02:25 AM1/11/11
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, tanay bose, efloraofindia
I have not seen the Himalayan plant but seems it has smaller flowers ( ca 2 cm across) than A. chinensis (ca 4 cm across) and much longer hairs on the undersurface of leaves.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

mani nair

Jan 11, 2011, 1:42:12 AM1/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Nalini ji and Gurcharan ji, Nice photos of the Kiwi fruit.  I am sending a photo of the Kiwi plant from Srinagar, Kashmir.

Place : Srinagar, Kashmir
Habitat: Cultivated
Date   :  June 2009

Regards,

Mani.

kiwi.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 11, 2011, 2:16:18 AM1/11/11
to mani nair, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Mani ji
Did you see fruits on this tree? The leaves look different to me.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

mani nair

Jan 11, 2011, 2:39:07 AM1/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji, I did not see the fruits.  I enquired with the hotel owner about the creeper.  He said it is Kiwi's  and it's not the fruiting season, hence no fruits on the creeper.

Regards,

Mani.