Garugi (Kurinji) flower plant- drenched with the monsoon rain

raghu ananth

Jun 13, 2011, 9:22:43 AM6/13/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Even in October, Agumbe and the entire western ghats belt was drenched with the monsoon rain. No sooner we started trekking to the Barkana falls situated within the Agumbe rain forest, than it started pouring.

Similar to the lantana, the Garugi (Gurugi), (Kurinji ) flower plant blooms, inundating the forest paths. But these flowers are beneficial for when in bloom (Once in 5-7 years?), they are known to attract bees in very large numbers. And there is a bumper honey yield that year. Unfortunately, the honey bees are known to die in India from a disease called fowl brood.

 As we trekked, the 15 feet wide forest path got narrowed down to a feet or two thanks to the wild vegetation. In fact, many a time we were reduced to crawling to navigate the Garugi plants in the darkness. But the upside of our adventure was to see  the rain drops prettily perched on the flowers – as if the stars had come down to earth! But be warned that there are some risks too - this is leech country and we witnessed a snake (cobra ?) -just in front of us crossing the narrow path and after reaching a safe bush top staring at us!  One does come across carnivore scat here and there...

Strobilanthus lupulina

Syn Strobilanthes heyneanus
(To be Validated)

ACANTHACEAE

Agumbe, Shimoga district,

Regards

Raghu

DSC_8770.jpg
DSC_8776.jpg
DSC_8777.jpg
DSC_8780.jpg
DSC_8781.jpg
DSC_8782.jpg
DSC_8849.jpg
DSC_8744a.jpg
DSC_8749b.jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

Jun 14, 2011, 2:30:55 AM6/14/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth
Great trail through the Garugi forest sir.
thank you
what is that shit? dropings? which animal?
Madhuri

Raghu

Jun 14, 2011, 10:45:18 AM6/14/11
to efloraofindia

I was told by the local guide, the scat could be that of a Tiger.

Pinki

Jun 15, 2011, 1:09:23 AM6/15/11
to efloraofindia
yeah that shit can be that of tiger or some carnivore coz there are
hair in the thing which are the result of some animal eaten whole....

Alok

Neil Soares

Jun 15, 2011, 3:48:40 AM6/15/11
to efloraofindia, Pinki
Hi,
 Obviously it is the scat of a large carnivore...

- it could be the scat of a tiger or a leopard, but large cats generally leave scratch marks around and tend to cover their scat with soil or leaves.
- it could also be the scat of a Hyena, Dhole [Wild Dog], Wolf or even a Sloth Bear.
                        Regards,
                         Neil Soares.

J.M. Garg

Sep 11, 2011, 3:37:42 PM9/11/11
to efloraofindia, vinay...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, adav...@gmail.com, noorunni...@frlht.org, navend...@gmail.com, samad...@gmail.com, raghu ananth, Neil Soares, Madhuri Pejaver

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1700 members & 79,000 messages on 31/8/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5500 species)

DSC_8770.jpg
DSC_8776.jpg
DSC_8777.jpg
DSC_8780.jpg
DSC_8781.jpg
DSC_8782.jpg
DSC_8849.jpg
DSC_8744a.jpg
DSC_8749b.jpg

J.M. Garg

Dec 8, 2011, 4:11:41 AM12/8/11
to efloraofindia, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sgneg...@gmail.com, raghu ananth, Neil Soares

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1750 members & 97,000 messages on 30/11/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 6000 species).

DSC_8770.jpg
DSC_8776.jpg
DSC_8777.jpg
DSC_8780.jpg
DSC_8781.jpg
DSC_8782.jpg
DSC_8849.jpg
DSC_8744a.jpg
DSC_8749b.jpg

J.M. Garg

Dec 8, 2011, 11:30:31 PM12/8/11
to efloraofindia, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sgneg...@gmail.com, raghu ananth, Neil Soares
A reply:
"For me it is Nilgirianthus heyneanuss -under shrubs in almost entire westernghats of karnataka -Iruppu, brahmagiri, kodachadri, jog falls, uttarakannada
in Kodachadri it is everywhere.
regards
a.shivaprakash"

J.M. Garg

Dec 8, 2011, 11:31:33 PM12/8/11
to efloraofindia, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, sgneg...@gmail.com, raghu ananth, Neil Soares
A reply;
"This is without doubt Strobilanthes lupulina

Dr. E S SANTHOSH KUMAR PhD, FIAT, FLS
Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Karimancode P.O.
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala, India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com"