Zeuxine sp.

prasad dash

Feb 21, 2011, 6:23:30 AM2/21/11
to Indiantreepix
Dear all this orchid was collected from Malkangiri near Chitrakonda. Please validate the ID.

Name of the species: Zeuxine longilabris (Lindl.) Benth. ex. J.D. Hook
Area of collection:Chitrakonda, malkangiri, Orissa
Habitat: Under moist canopy with leaf litters
Altitude:500m above msl

Regards

Prasad

--
Prasad Kumar Dash
Ecologist, Orissa, India

tanay bose

Feb 21, 2011, 8:57:49 AM2/21/11
to prasad dash, Indiantreepix
very nice close up Prasad Ji
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 21, 2011, 11:05:20 AM2/21/11
to prasad dash, Indiantreepix
Dear Prasad
You are a friend of mine so please dont mind my writing this. It is
just to point at a taxonomic error.
Sir J.D.Hooker is abbreviated as Hook.f. and not J.D.Hook. which Dr.
Sarat Misra has done in his famous book on Orchids of Orissa.
This goes according to the ICBN Vienna Code Section III, Article 46,
Recommendation 46A, Note 1.

The Code also says the following reference should be followed while
abbreviating:
R. K. Brummitt and C. E. Powell, ed (1992). Authors of Plant Names: A
List of Authors of Scientific Names of Plants, with Recommended
Standard Forms of Their Names, Including Abbreviations.

Many of such abbreviations are available at IPNI as well as Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_botanists_by_author_abbreviation

Just for example in my species, the plant is to be cited as Kumar and
not as P.Kumar!!
Ask me why?
Because, P.Kumar stands for another person according to IPNI.

Atleast we botanist should follow it. Or, dont give author citations
or, give full author names. Please take this in good spirits.

Secondly, your plant does look like longilabris but there is a very
peculiar difference. Usually in Z. longilabris the lip tip is not so
rounded as it is in your plant, it is very much trapezoidal in shape
with crenulate or dentate. I will recheck once I am back to Doon.
Zeuxine are identfied very much on the basis of the lip or glands
inside the spur which is not visible in the pic.
Please find my pic attached.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Slide17.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jun 11, 2011, 5:02:39 AM6/11/11
to efloraofindia, prasad....@gmail.com, uda...@gmail.com, Muthu Karthick, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, manoj...@gmail.com, navend...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“your plant does look like longilabris but there is a very

peculiar difference. Usually in Z. longilabris the lip tip is not so
rounded as it is in your plant, it is very much trapezoidal in shape
with  crenulate or dentate. I will recheck once I am back to Doon.
Zeuxine are identfied very much on the basis of the lip or glands
inside the spur which is not visible in the pic.

Please find my pic attached.” from Pankaj ji.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1600 members & 70,000 messages on 30/5/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

Zeuxine.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jun 11, 2011, 6:24:09 AM6/11/11
to efloraofindia, prasad....@gmail.com, uda...@gmail.com, Muthu Karthick, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, manoj...@gmail.com, navend...@gmail.com
A reply:
"Z.longilabris
navendu"

Pankaj Kumar

Jun 11, 2011, 6:40:20 AM6/11/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, prasad....@gmail.com, uda...@gmail.com, Muthu Karthick, manoj...@gmail.com, navend...@gmail.com
Dear Navendu
You are actually missing something here.
There are two more species found in Orissa, namely, Zeuxine nervosa
and Zeuxine affinis along with Z. strateumatica, lindleyana, gracilis.
Then grandis should also be there though not reported till now.
Pankaj

Smilax004

Jun 11, 2011, 11:38:26 AM6/11/11
to efloraofindia
Would it be Z.affinis?

Regards,
Giby

On Jun 11, 3:40 pm, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Navendu
> You are actually missing something here.
> There are two more species found in Orissa, namely, Zeuxine nervosa
> and Zeuxine affinis along with Z. strateumatica, lindleyana, gracilis.
> Then grandis should also be there though not reported till now.
> Pankaj
>

> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 3:54 PM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A reply:
> > "Z.longilabris
> > navendu"
>
> >> email: prasad.dash2...@gmail.com
> >> ph. 09437444241
>
> >> --
> >> With regards,
> >> J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> >> 'Creating awareness of Indian Flora & Fauna'
> >> The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a thousand species &
> >> eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged
> >> alphabetically & place-wise):
> >>http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg. You can also use them
> >> for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.
> >> For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora,
> >> please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group:
> >>http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix(more than 1600 members &
> >> 70,000 messages on 30/5/11) or Efloraofindia website:
> >>https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of
> >> around 5000 species)
>
> > --
> > With regards,
> > J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> > 'Creating awareness of Indian Flora & Fauna'
> > The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a thousand species &
> > eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged
> > alphabetically & place-wise):
> >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg. You can also use them
> > for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.
> > For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora,
> > please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group:
> >http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix(more than 1600 members &

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jun 12, 2011, 9:16:10 AM6/12/11
to efloraofindia
Yes dear Gibs, thats why I am confused too...:)
Pankaj

> > > --
> > > With regards,
> > > J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)
> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> > > 'Creating awareness of Indian Flora & Fauna'
> > > The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a thousand species &
> > > eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged
> > > alphabetically & place-wise):
> > >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg. You can also use them
> > > for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.
> > > For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora,
> > > please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group:
> > >http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix(morethan 1600 members &

J.M. Garg

Sep 9, 2011, 7:08:43 AM9/9/11
to efloraofindia, sahani...@gmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, swee...@gmail.com, santr...@yahoo.com, sameer...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, avi...@yahoo.com, prasad dash
Some earlier relevant feedback:
“your plant does look like longilabris but there is a very peculiar difference. Usually in Z. longilabris the lip tip is not so
rounded as it is in your plant, it is very much trapezoidal in shape with  crenulate or dentate. I will recheck once I am back to Doon.
Zeuxine are identfied very much on the basis of the lip or glands inside the spur which is not visible in the pic. Please find my pic attached.” from Pankaj ji.

"Z.longilabris
navendu"

"Dear Navendu
You are actually missing something here.
There are two more species found in Orissa, namely, Zeuxine nervosa and Zeuxine affinis along with Z. strateumatica, lindleyana, gracilis. Then grandis should also be there though not reported till now.
Pankaj

"Would it be Z.affinis?
Regards,
Giby "

Sep 10, 2011, 9:24:27 AM9/10/11
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com

Dear Members,
This species is obviously Zeuxine longilabris and already reported (recently) from Orissa.
With regards.
Avishek

J.M. Garg

Sep 10, 2011, 10:11:15 AM9/10/11
to efloraofindia, sahani...@gmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, swee...@gmail.com, santr...@yahoo.com, sameer...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, avi...@yahoo.com, prasad dash
A reply:
"Dear Members,
This species is obviously Zeuxine longilabris and already reported (recently) from Orissa.
With regards.
Avishek"

Thanks a lot, Avishek ji.

prasad dash

Sep 12, 2011, 2:03:40 AM9/12/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, sahani...@gmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, swee...@gmail.com, santr...@yahoo.com, sameer...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, avi...@yahoo.com
Dear Abhisek thanks for the identification. Its my pleasure that you are also in eflora group. Thanks to all for the detailed and informative discussion.

Regards

Prasad