Bistorta affinis from Apharwat mountain in Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 29, 2011, 9:10:36 AM8/29/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish

Bistorta affinis (D. Don) Greene, Leafl. bot. observ. 1:21, 1904

syn: Polygonum affine D. Don; Persicaria affinis (D. Don) Ronse Decr.

Common name: Himalayan fleece-flower

Perennial plant with woody rootstock clothed with old stipules, and procumbent tufted branches up to 25 cm long; leaves mostly basal, elliptic-lanceolate, margins recurved, crenate, glabrous; stem leaves few; ochrea up to 1 cm long, many-nerved, brown; flowers pedicellate, white turning rosy with age, in compact 5-8 cm long erect spicate racemes; tepals 5, biseriate; stamens 8; ovary trigonous with long free styles; nut trigonous, 2-2.5 mm long.

Photographed from Apharwat Mountain in Kashmir in August, often forming patches among rocky slopes, alt. 3500 m.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Polygonum-affine-Apharwat-Kashmir-1.jpg
Polygonum-affine-Apharwat-Kashmir-1a.jpg
Polygonum-affine-Apharwat-Kashmir-2.jpg
Polygonum-affine-Apharwat-Kashmir-3.jpg

Tabish

Aug 29, 2011, 11:08:20 AM8/29/11
to efloraofindia
Polygonum affine D. Don is the accepted name now
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/tro-50133712
Status of Bistorta affinis not resolved.
- Tabish

http://www.flowersofindia.in
The waterhole of flower lovers

Ushadi micromini

Aug 29, 2011, 11:42:00 AM8/29/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks, Gurucharanji for showing me these rare things....
Beautiful photography to boot too !!!

Usha di
=======
> -------------------------------------------http://www.flowersofindia.in

Balkar Arya

Aug 29, 2011, 11:49:33 AM8/29/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Very Nice Close-UP
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 29, 2011, 1:09:28 PM8/29/11
to Balkar Arya, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Tabish ji
I had seen that, but used this name as it has been an accepted name in our database FOI, and also GRIN. If we follow The Plant list we will have to change names of all Bistorta species in FOI.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Satish Phadke

Aug 30, 2011, 1:51:36 AM8/30/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Beautiful plant
One of those many Polygonaceae members from Himalayas.
I had seen this in Spiti valley in Aug2009
Dr Phadke

Tabish

Aug 30, 2011, 2:01:53 AM8/30/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan ji,
I am in the process of cleaning up names at FOI. But it will
happen slowly, with 3,400+ species.
- Tabish