How to write in Hindi

Swagat

May 5, 2009, 1:42:53 AM5/5/09
to indiantreepix
Dear all,

sorry for the off topic subject... but some of us may be interested...

For those whor are interested in using Hindi on computer, Pl click link below....

How to write in Hindi
PDF Print E-mail
Write in Hindi
There are various ways to read and write Hindi on web pages. Here are a few methods that can be used to write in hindi .
Writing in Hindi Using Baraha.

Download and Install Baraha software

  1. Download Baraha 6.0 from http://www.baraha.com/baraha60.htm
  2. OR from (Direct link to the installation file)
  3. Click on Next
  4. Check the box "I accecpt the agreement" and click Next
  5. Click on Next
  6. Click on Next
  7. Click on Next
  8. Click Install
  9. Click OK on the Fonts Installation Box
  10. In the language Options Box select Hindi as the default Indian language and English as the User Interface language.
  11. Click on Finish
  12. English as the User Interface language

How to Write in Hindi using Baraha

Method 1 (Recommended for writing Emails):

  • Run Baraha Direct (by going to Start > Programs > Baraha 6.0 > Baraha Direct)
  • Baraha Direct icon will get created in the "system tray" (as shown in above image)
  • Double click Baraha Direct icon. Baraha Direct's screen would come on your screen (as shown in image below)
  • In this screen, set the Langauge as Hindi, Output Format as UNICODE and Activation as "ON"
  • Close this box by clicking the small cross button on the top-right corner
  • It will ask "Exit Baraha Direct?"... you click "OK"
  • Run Baraha Direct again (by going to Start > Programs > Baraha 6.0 > Baraha Direct)
  • Now open a box on any webpage where you want to type in Hindi (e.g. your email compose page- Yahoo, Hotmail, GMail etc.)
  • Start typing and you would see that you are typing in Hindi
  • Now if you want to type again in English -press "F11" key and you would be able to type in English. If you again want to type in Hindi -again press "F11" key. F11 key is used for toggling between Hindi and English languages

Method 2 (Recommended for writing documents in Hindi):

It's easy to type in Hindi using Baraha.

  • Run Baraha (by going to Start > Programs > Baraha 6.0 > Baraha)
  • This can be used to write documents in Hindi
There are some rules of typing correct Hindi in Baraha (e.g. to write mango in Hindi you need to type "aam" and not "am". These are very simple rules. Mostly they follow the Romanized way of writing Hindi. To learn these rules, do as below:
  • Run Baraha (by going to Start > Programs > Baraha 6.0 > Baraha)
  • This can be used to write documents in Hindi
  • Click here for Help Topics or Go to Help menu  > Help Topics
  • Click here for Transliteration Rules>  or find the rules under Help   >  Devnagri  >  Transliteration Rules

Thats it!

Installing Support for Hindi on computer

For Windows 2000:

Enable support for Indian languages on your computer. Windows 2000 has inbuilt Indian languages features. If you enable these features, you will be able to view the Hindi pages much better.
  1. Go to Settings (Start Button)
  2. Go to Control Panel.
  3. Go to Regional Options
  4. In "Language settings for the system" (in the first "General" tab), select Indic.
  5. Click OK

For Windows XP:

Enable support for Indian languages (Indic) on your computer. Windows XP has inbuilt Indian languages features. If you enable these features, you will be able to view the Hindi pages much better. You must have at least 10 MB of free hard disk space. Before starting, please close any open programs.
  1. Go to Control Panel (from the �Start� button)
  2. Go to Regional and Language Options.
  3. Click the �Languages� tab.
  4. Check (click) the line marked �Install files for complex scripts and right to left languages (including Thai)� When you check this line, a new window will appear, which will give a list of languages that will be installed. This list will include �Indic�. It will �warn� you that you need at least 10 MB of hard disk space. Click OK to close this window. Then click OK on the Regional and Languages Options window. You will be asked to restart your computer.
Useful Links for Writing in Hindi Online

  1. Uninagari

Tabish

May 5, 2009, 2:10:28 AM5/5/09
to indiantreepix
The solutions mentioned by Swagat are for Windows users. If you are
using Linux, you can type in any Indian language, out of the box.
There is a small software SCIM (Smart Common Input Method) which comes
preinstalled in most Linux distributions, which does the job.
Cheers!
- Tabish

On May 5, 10:42 am, Swagat <swagat1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> these features, you will be able to view the Hindi pages much better. You
> must have at least 10 MB of free hard disk space. Before starting, please
> close any open programs.
>
>    1. Go to Control Panel (from the Start button)
>    2. Go to Regional and Language Options.
>    3. Click the Languages tab.
>    4. Check (click) the line marked Install files for complex scripts and
>    right to left languages (including Thai) When you check this line, a new
>    window will appear, which will give a list of languages that will be
>    installed. This list will include Indic . It will warn you that you need
>    at least 10 MB of hard disk space. Click OK to close this window. Then click
>    OK on the Regional and Languages Options window. You will be asked to
>    restart your computer.
>
>  Useful Links for Writing in Hindi Online

Swagat

May 5, 2009, 2:21:13 AM5/5/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Thanks Tabishji, for the useful information.

Regards,
~Swagat

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 5, 2009, 3:38:40 PM5/5/09
to Swagat, indiantreepix
In another chain I had mentioned that gmail has a very user-friendly Hindi writing software. You have to write in Roman script, and it is automaticaly transcribed into Devnagri script.
akbhatt
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road