ID of Kolkata tree_RKC02_020611

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jun 1, 2011, 9:17:01 PM6/1/11
to efloraofindia

ID plz.

Loc.: Victoria memorial campus, Kolkata, W. Bengal.

Date: Feb., 2011.

Regards,
Ritesh.
DSC_0099.JPG
DSC_0100.JPG
DSC_0101.JPG
DSC_0102.JPG
DSC_0103.JPG
DSC_0104.JPG
DSC_0106.JPG
DSC_0107.JPG
DSC_0108.JPG

Neil Soares

Jun 1, 2011, 10:14:57 PM6/1/11
to efloraofindia, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary
Hi,
 This is Bakul [Mimusops elengi].
                    Regards,
                     Neil Soares.

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jun 1, 2011, 10:20:32 PM6/1/11
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Thanks Neil Ji for ID!

Regards,
Ritesh.

prasanna gogate

Jun 1, 2011, 11:04:17 PM6/1/11
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
daer sir
flowers are very good and scented fruits are edible after they become yellolw/orange. seed teilds oil. bark ash is used in tooth problem. very good tree foe avanue,,,,,,,,,
--
regards,
PRASANNA PADMAKAR GOGATE

C/O SUHAS GOVILKAR
AT-GIMHAVANE
PO/TAL-DAPOLI
DIS-RATNAGIRI
STATE-MAHARASHTRA
PIN-415712
PHONE-09420308062
               09637550202

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jun 2, 2011, 12:23:19 AM6/2/11
to prasanna gogate, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Prasanna ji,

Thanks for the information.

I had seen this plant in flowering at Itanagar, even I have the foto of flowers. But I could not recognize it in fruiting condition. 'Moulshri' is another name for this plant.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Satish Chile

Jun 2, 2011, 2:29:32 AM6/2/11
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, prasanna gogate, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Mimusops elengi, Sapotaceae. There is a very good plantation on road side in  Dr. Harisingh Gour Central University campus. The tree provide very good and cool shade in the summer.
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Ushadi micromini

Jun 3, 2011, 5:52:46 AM6/3/11
to efloraofindia

Dear All:
Yes, Mimusops elengi....
Victoria memorial grounds has more than 30 of these trees, they all
flower at a little different times, and some are still flowering....
the green fruits are now scarlet red to orangeish red and a great
favorite of birds... and sometimes children... I have tasted
them...pulp is sweet-flat-granular, remotely reminds me of white
Sapota - or shabeda in local Bengali lingo...

In our informal survey...no bakul tree had been uprooted during
Hurricane Aila in calcutta ... in the memorial grounds, lakes and its
vicinity and my neighbourhood in Southern calcutta....
Its fruits are eaten by many birds, its flowers are fragrant and
nectar food for butterflies and bees and its wood when ready takes on
beautiful polish, I am told is somewhat reddish....
Its a value added street tree for urban forestry, gives dense shade ,
being useful for wild life, is fragrant and is useful medicinally....
in Ayurvedic formulations..
I love this tree among many...
In one gujarati Kathiawari dialect its call Bor-salli, some others
call it Bol-rasi.... go figure...

Usha di
=========

On Jun 2, 11:29 am, Satish Chile <chilesat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Mimusops elengi, Sapotaceae. *There is a very good plantation on road side
> in * *Dr. Harisingh Gour Central University campus. The tree provide very
> good and cool shade in the summer.
>
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary <ritesh....@gmail.com

Ritesh Choudhary

Jun 3, 2011, 11:50:13 AM6/3/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Usha Di for such a detailed information.

Best regards,
Ritesh.