Sharing.. Beauty of seed dispersion Stages 09042011 PJ1

PUTTARAJU K

Apr 9, 2011, 11:24:09 AM4/9/11
to indiantreepix
Dear All,

Pl find attached Riped Calotropis gigantea* (Asclepiadaceae family*).Photographed by me during August 2009 in Kaiga. (Ready for dispersion stage 1,2,3,4&5) . It's bark & root are used as medicine for dysentry, its tincture of leaves are used for curing fever, it's latex which is highly poisonous is used as purgative. Also when thorn entered to foot after removing the thorn its milk applied to reduce the pain.

--
With Regards,
PUTTARAJU K,

tanay bose

Apr 9, 2011, 3:25:17 PM4/9/11
to PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Awesome picture Puttaraju Ji, at the first look I thought it was a bird!!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Na Bha

Apr 9, 2011, 4:36:19 PM4/9/11
to PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
amazing fotos, thanks for sharing.

Satish Chile

Apr 11, 2011, 1:43:26 AM4/11/11
to Na Bha, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Very admirable.
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Balkar Arya

Apr 11, 2011, 1:57:49 AM4/11/11
to Satish Chile, Na Bha, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Nice series of Pics

Thanks for sharing

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Apr 11, 2011, 2:07:35 AM4/11/11
to Satish Chile, Na Bha, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
The floater for the seed is as soft as silk cotton, and often used in pillows.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Na Bha

Apr 11, 2011, 5:22:45 AM4/11/11
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Satish Chile, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
when reading "silk cotton, and often used in pillows" a question came to my mind.Is it the same as Shevari (Marathi)?

Dinesh Valke

Apr 11, 2011, 5:32:46 AM4/11/11
to Na Bha, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Satish Chile, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
... indeed yes, Nalini ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

Na Bha

Apr 11, 2011, 5:57:42 AM4/11/11
to Dinesh Valke, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Satish Chile, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
In that case i think, it has some medicinal value. I remember, my grandmother had a pillow with Shevari. I don't remember any more, what is the effect of this pillow.
perhaps someone knows more.
Thanks Dinesh ji and others
Nalini

Ushadi micromini

Apr 11, 2011, 3:42:14 PM4/11/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Putturaju ji: Very nice pictures.... This weekend (April 2011)
I found and photographed one,,, still green, not ready to open. I
will have to go back and see if I can catch it as it gets ready to
open and disperse its babies... Usha di.
> EMAIL : pakshirajka...@gmail.com
>              kputtar...@npcil.co.in
>
>  18072008 398.jpg
> 107KViewDownload
>
>  18072008 397 -F1.jpg
> 457KViewDownload
>
>  18072008 373 -F1.jpg
> 467KViewDownload
>
>  18072008 378 -F1.jpg
> 442KViewDownload
>
>  18072008 409 - F1.jpg
> 414KViewDownload

Satish Phadke

Apr 12, 2011, 6:25:00 AM4/12/11
to Na Bha, Dinesh Valke, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Satish Chile, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
I doubt about this silk cotton for pillows. Sewaricha means that from SAWAR or true silk cotton either Ceiba pentandra or Bombax ceiba

Dinesh Valke

Apr 12, 2011, 7:19:51 AM4/12/11
to Satish Phadke, Na Bha, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Satish Chile, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Nalini ji's query of "sewari cha kapus" may have sprung up looking at the posted "rui cha kapus".
Regards.

Na Bha

Apr 12, 2011, 8:02:13 AM4/12/11
to Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Satish Chile, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Thanks, Dineshji and Satishji,
My question is still,  what is used in pillows  "sewari cha kapus" or "rui cha kapus"?
There was a comment from Anand ji, that the Kapus ( Calotropis gigantea* (Asclepiadaceae family*).) is used in Pillows,
on that I asked if it is shevari,  etc.etc. How my query came up is documented in this thread.

Would be nice, if someone can clarify, with the sc. names of sewari and rui, perhaps with fotos,
and if possible, why this kapus is used in pillows. Hope I am not troubling too much.

TIA

Satish Chile

Apr 12, 2011, 9:03:32 AM4/12/11
to Na Bha, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, Anand Kumar Bhatt, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
I don't think the silk cotton of  Calotropis gigantea or C. procera are widely used for making pillows instead the silk cotton of Bombax ceiba and B. malabarica and off course Gossypium hirutum and other species of Gossypium are frequently used for making piloows and cushins. Yes medicinal values of  Calotropis gigantea or C. procera are much talked  about and these plants are used by villagers as medicinal plats.

Dinesh Valke

Apr 12, 2011, 9:08:43 AM4/12/11
to Na Bha, Satish Phadke, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Satish Chile, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Nalini ji ...

Rui (Calotropis gigantea) is not same as Shevari OR Savar (Bombax ceiba, Bombax insigne, Ceiba pentandra)

About their use in pillows:
Bombax ceiba ... Shevari (silk-cotton) is used tor certain to stuff pillows
Calotropis gigantea ... Rui is also used

Other friends may throw more light on this subject.

Photos in my flickr photostream:
Rui
Calotropis gigantea: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Calotropisgigantea&m=tags&w=91314344%40N00&s=int

Lal Savar, OR Savar
Bombax ceiba: http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&w=91314344%40N00&q=Bombaxceiba&m=tags

Dev Savar
Bombax insigne: http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&w=91314344%40N00&q=Bombaxinsigne&m=tags

Safet Savar
Ceiba pentandra: http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&w=91314344%40N00&q=Ceibapentandra&m=tags

Why this silk-cotton (shevari) is used for pillows ?
One of the reason could be:
... it does not absorb moisture easily ... needs validation
... it does not form lumps or knots ... regular cotton (Gossypium) has greater tendency to knot ... needs validation.

Regards.
Dinesh

Satish Chile

Apr 12, 2011, 9:18:30 AM4/12/11
to Dinesh Valke, Na Bha, Satish Phadke, Anand Kumar Bhatt, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Thanx Dinesh ji for informaton.

formp...@yahoo.com

Apr 12, 2011, 3:16:09 PM4/12/11
to Na Bha, Efloraindia, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, Dr Pejaver Madhuri, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Satish Chile, PUTTARAJU K
Dear Nabhaji
As per my knowledge the silk cotton tree is sawar or sewari. The cotton of it is called as sewari cha kapus. Not only pillows but even beds were made with it. If you have seen the capsule/ fruit of this tree open you also will be able to see the amount of cotton produced and can get the feel too.
If I am not mistaken it has coolent effect as well as very soft hence silk cotton.
Rui is calatropis which has the cotton called Mhatari. Do you remember? We use to run behind these Mhataries\ old ladies to catch them. You can also see the quantity of cotton produced by each capsule. Rui or calatropis is mainly known for the medicinal values given on the thread. On old threads of Calatropis as written the garland of leaves is offered to god Maruti or Hanuman. Today is Ramnavami. After six days will be Hanuman Jayanti. When we can see all temples flooded with calatropis/ rui. The calatropis which produce white flowers not with purple shade is called Mandar. Loved by lord Ganesha.
Regards
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: "Na Bha" <nabha-...@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 14:02:13 +0200
To: Dinesh Valke<dinesh...@gmail.com>; Satish Phadke<drsmp...@gmail.com>
Cc: Anand Kumar Bhatt<anand...@gmail.com>; Satish Chile<chile...@gmail.com>; PUTTARAJU K<pakshir...@gmail.com>; indiantreepix<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:67027] Sharing.. Beauty of seed dispersion Stages 09042011 PJ1

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 12, 2011, 9:47:49 PM4/12/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, Na Bha, Efloraindia, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Satish Chile, PUTTARAJU K
Thanks for interesting information Madhuri ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Na Bha

Apr 13, 2011, 12:20:09 PM4/13/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, Efloraindia, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Satish Chile, PUTTARAJU K
Thanks to Madhuri ji, Anand ji, Gurcharan ji,  Dinesh ji, Puttaraju ji, Satish Chile ji, Satish Phadake ji  and all others who took the trouble to answer my questions in detail.
In Bremen university there is a parkway and in late summer, the whole area is white with cotton of these trees. Everytime when I went along this way I used to think of sevari and the pillow of my grandmother. I don't go to the university regularly anymore. At present the trees are just getting new leaves. But I shall try to take fotos of those trees to find out what these trees are.
Thanks again to all for the useful and interesting information.

Gurcharan ji had listen down why he likes this group.
I like this group because every day I find myself for a couple of hours in India, and I enjoy my stay there.

Thanks

manudev madhavan

Apr 14, 2011, 8:19:23 AM4/14/11
to Na Bha, formp...@yahoo.com, Efloraindia, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Satish Chile, PUTTARAJU K
Nice catch.!!! Thanks for sharing
--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow

PUTTARAJU K

Apr 14, 2011, 9:46:31 AM4/14/11
to indiantreepix, Na Bha, formp...@yahoo.com, Efloraindia, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Satish Chile
DEAR All,

My above  photos were shot in a span of  30 days to capture all the stages of the fruit that grew into a full pod,ripened and crack open to set the seeds afloat.... I never imagined that the seed dispersion topic would become such a wonderful subject for discussion .
Thank you all those who replied for my posting .I could not reply individually as i was attending workshop on "COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION ON BIODIVERSITY CONSERVATION" also I have exhibited around 460 photographs  of nature & wild life on the invitation of DEPARTMENT OF BIOSCIENCES  MANGALORE UNIVERSITY inaugurated by Prof. M. Abdul Rahiman former VC Kannur & Calicut University , Prof. T.C.Shivashankar Murthy , Hon. VC Mangalore University , Former VC of Kuvempu University & many professionals of zoology, botany etc..  . Even the seed dispersion photo was a center of attraction. Pls find attached photos of above event.

Regards
Puttaraju

On
Gurcharan ji had listen down why he likes this group.
I like this group because every day I find myself for a couple of hours in India, and I enjoy my stay there.

Thanks
Nalini

On
4EF.gif
330.gif
DSC_0123.JPG
DSC_0027.JPG
DSC_0036.JPG
DSC_0327.JPG
DSC_0379.JPG
DSC_0384.JPG
DSC_0391.JPG
DSC_0439.JPG

Ushadi micromini

Apr 15, 2011, 2:40:27 AM4/15/11
to efloraofindia
Dr. Puttaraju ji: congratualtions , for being able to reach out to a
larger audience and at different groups and levels of education and
age....
Usha di