Avena sativa from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 5, 2010, 9:47:04 PM12/5/10
to efloraofindia
Avena sativa Linnaeus, Sp. Pl. 1: 79. 1753.
Growing in cultivated fields in winter, used as fodder. Photographed from Delhi.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Avena-sativa.Delhi-3.jpg
Avena-sativa-Delhi-1.jpg
Avena-sativa-Delhi-2.jpg

tanay bose

Dec 5, 2010, 10:00:33 PM12/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Nice oats, does anyone like oat-meal out here.
the traditional breakfast food in North America.
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 5, 2010, 10:12:12 PM12/5/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
We have it daily along with our Grand daughter who likes it the most.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Oudhia

Dec 6, 2010, 12:30:48 AM12/6/10
to efloraofindia
A suggestion, Gurcharan ji. Regular use of Oatmeal may result in many health troubles specially in case of children. Hence, diversity in food items is must for good health.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 6, 2010, 1:05:00 AM12/6/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
TThank you Pankaj ji for the caution. We will keep this in ,ind.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

nabha meghani

Dec 6, 2010, 6:54:39 AM12/6/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
yes, for me too.
when we went camping to iceland or greenland, porridge was the best thing to eat, warm and stomachfillling. since then i don't miss it, especially in winter.
Nalini

nabha meghani

Dec 6, 2010, 7:05:02 AM12/6/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji,
I have read a few times that Hafer (Avena sativa ) works well against suger in blood. . What do you say to this? You are an authority about diabetes
Nalini

Pankaj Oudhia

Dec 6, 2010, 7:57:46 AM12/6/10
to efloraofindia
It is claimed but we have hundreds of herbs and herbal combinations in Traditional Healing,  more effective and far less harmful than Avena. You can get information about it from these links

Diabetes Herbs

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=1&biw=1024&bih=581&q=site%3Apankajoudhia.com+%22diabetes+herbs%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Diabetes Links

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=1&biw=1024&bih=581&q=site%3Apankajoudhia.com+diabetes&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 6, 2010, 4:28:04 PM12/6/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Avena sativa L. Sp. Pl. 1: 79. 1753.

Type: Lectotype - Herb. Clifford: 25, Avena 1 (BM-000557678)

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

PROTOLOGUE AVENA SATIVA L.jpg
TYPE AVENA SATIVA.JPG

formp...@yahoo.com

Dec 6, 2010, 8:38:58 PM12/6/10
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh
Yes for sure. It also tastes nice boiled with milk, khajur, and mixed with honey.