Help me in identifying the Convolvulaceae weed predominating Bangalore

botlect

Jul 25, 2011, 1:10:56 PM7/25/11
to efloraofindia
I couldn't attach the snap along with this mail as the option isn't
available. The weed which I am talking about spreads at a fast pace.
It is a climber which doesn't even spare the electric poles and climbs
them. This at present is more dominating than Parthenium. Please do
suggest the possible scientific names!

Dinesh Valke

Jul 25, 2011, 1:33:03 PM7/25/11
to botlect, efloraofindia
... please check possibility of Operculina turpethum.
But of course, there are many other possibilities.

About adding attachments:
1) Go to your Gmail
2) Compose mail to indian...@googlegroups.com
3) Add attachment just as you would for any other email.

Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar

Jul 25, 2011, 3:02:48 PM7/25/11
to Dinesh Valke, botlect, efloraofindia
The fast-spreading convolvulaceae member in Bangalore could be any of the 3 species viz. Ipomoea indica, Ipomoea muricata or Ipomoea parasitica. Another plant, Argyreia cuneata is also common near Hebbal area, but it is not that fast-spreading.
Pl check this link: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/2a48ce688963fc9a/29cbe8940d93af6d?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=ipomoea+indica#29cbe8940d93af6d

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi