5000 target crossed, congratulations Pankaj ji, Balkar ji, Garg ji, Ushadi, Bhagyashri ji, Dinesh ji, Tanay, Giby ji, Madhuri ji, Satish ji and all

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 27, 2011, 9:43:33 AM9/27/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Members
Truly a great effort, 5000 posts target in a month already achieved, and three days still to go

Some of you must be wondering why I chose Pankaj ji as first name. Well he was the motivation and force for achieving this target. Few months back it was he who gave us a target to achieve for this group top become a force to recon with. Thankfully we have achieved it largely through the efforts of Balkar ji who saw to it that gets achieved.
   Our Malvaceae week set the tone for making this a reality, with Dinesh ji, Prashant ji, Satish ji, and others coming up with uploads of high class photography and other members giving them a big support.
    The impetus for achieving this target was provided by our Chakrata trip. While I am still on with the processing of second day photographs, Balkar ji bombarded the forum with huge number of photographs, and virtually took all members on a tour to Chakrata.
     Perhaps this would not have been possible without aggressive participation this month by Giby ji, Bhagyshri ji and Ushadi who been making the threads interesting through her intelligent writings.
    But all this would not have been a reality without Garg ji who started this forum, has been tirelessly resurfacing the mails for identification, updating the website along with Dinesh ji and seeing that we don't lose harmony in the group.
    We should also thank Alok ji for uploading large number of photographs from Chamba region and Aarti ji for places all around.
     Congratulations also to our experts Manudev ji, Mayur ji, Mahadeswara ji, Vijayasankar ji, Ritesh ji, Amit ji, who see to it that threads get concluded as early as possible. Others whose names I have missed may excuse me. Other members may make up for that lapse.

Long live eFl

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

shrikant ingalhalikar

Sep 27, 2011, 9:58:55 AM9/27/11
to efloraofindia
Congratulations to Gurcharan Singhji and Balkarji who set on to this
task and achieved it successfully. Wish you success in the ensuing
milestones and regards, Shrikant

Balkar Arya

Sep 27, 2011, 9:59:23 AM9/27/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot sir, Sometime before i was chatting with Pankaj ji and i promise him  and before me You have done that after the idea of Pankaj Ji, i was seriously thinking why activity low and we must post more and more but when I came to know that activity is low due to less no of members are participating, i was somewhat distressed. But after that I thought activity low or high does not matter and we should concentrate on 5000. And got the result
Thanks a lot to all and congrts to all
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Balkar Arya

Sep 27, 2011, 10:00:31 AM9/27/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Sir

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 27, 2011, 10:03:45 AM9/27/11
to Balkar Arya, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
And the greatest plus of this achievement has been that the group has seen the richest upload of new plants, and identifications have gone at very high degree of success rate. I have never seen this quality of uploads since I joined the group.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Tanay Bose

Sep 27, 2011, 10:05:28 AM9/27/11
to Balkar Arya, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
I Congratulate all the members of eFi everyone's contributions
count .... unity is the strength.... Thanks to Garg Ji for providing
the platform.
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Dinesh Valke

Sep 27, 2011, 10:09:46 AM9/27/11
to Tanay Bose, Balkar Arya, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
... cheers ! cheers !! cheers !!! ... indeed a great achievement.
Regards.
Dinesh

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Sep 27, 2011, 10:13:12 AM9/27/11
to efloraofindia
Thats really too kind of your Gurucharan sir. Thanks so much.
I would give special credit to Balkar sir for his immense involvement
as always. To me, my office work has become too hectic and then at
home in Hong Kong, I didnt have internet till saturday.
But overall credits goes to all the active members who made this
possible.
And remember we still have three days to go..... :)
Special thanks to Garg sir too, for creating this group. Its becoming
more like a family gradually. We have started knowing many people whom
we havent met till now.
The biggest credit is the fact that more and more professionals are
coming forward to join our group. Hope all members can be active. I
was just calculating, even if just 50% of members post 1 mail a day it
makes above 25000 posts in one month. But this cant be possible in
real.
Thanks again to all 1726 members.
KEEP POSTING, WE HAVE THREE MORE DAYS TO GO!!! :)
Pankaj

On Sep 27, 10:03 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And the greatest plus of this achievement has been that the group has seen
> the richest upload of new plants, and identifications have gone at very high
> degree of success rate. I have never seen this quality of uploads since I
> joined the group.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

Sep 27, 2011, 10:19:30 AM9/27/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Pankaj Ji
Your idea is simply a great idea,  even 2 mails per week by all members will make the situation different

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 27, 2011, 10:30:11 AM9/27/11
to Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Yes you are right. But no issues. We have to do our work. Gradually
people will join....

"Main akela hi chala tha Janib-e-manzil magar, log saath aate gaye aur
karwa banta gaya"

Pankaj

"Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Conservation Officer

Office:
Flora Conservation Department
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

Residence:
36B, Ng Tung Chai, Lam Tseun
Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

email: pku...@kbfg.org
       sahani...@gmail.com
       pankaj...@rediffmail.com
Phone: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:30pm)
       +852 9436 6251; +852 5431 6094 (mobile)

Alok

Sep 27, 2011, 11:07:39 AM9/27/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

5000 mark is nothing.. (not that I was counting)..!!

If this quality of identification, help and expertise becomes the
trademark of the forum.. I see no reason for the number of mails to be
continually increasing, especially as the guiding minds are as sharp
as they are here.. for me this forum is like a well for a parched
throat and indeed it is as satisfying and useful as one...
My congrats to all the members of this family ...
regards
Alok

Ushadi micromini

Sep 27, 2011, 11:56:54 PM9/27/11
to efloraofindia
DEAR ALL:

Thank you, an active group is a good thing...
but too big will become unwieldy... and may have to be segmented as in
different sub-kingdoms of plants..
I personally would rather we stay as one...
so
slow growth ...will make us solid.. establish our own tree rings...
and build on them...
as in the slow growing tree is the strongest...
too fast a growth and its only water... runs off with the slightest
cut...

WHAT I JUST SAID DOES NOT TAKE AWAY THE ACHIEVEMENTS GURCHARANJI JUST
DESCRIBED>>>>

and yes, the recent Malveceae week and your Chakrata trip and Kalatope
and Chamba region series, and Valmiki and Symbiosis series have kept
me hopping and learning...

Congratulations to all....

Usha di

==========

Balkar Arya

Sep 28, 2011, 8:02:00 AM9/28/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks Ushadi Ji

J.M. Garg

Sep 29, 2011, 1:26:15 AM9/29/11
to Balkar Arya, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks, Singh ji & all members of efi.
On thinking back, I realise that the messages in this month are equal to posts of the first 17 months of our inception.
This is but simply unbelievable.
First over four years' journey of efi is simply incredible.
As Pankaj ji says we are an institution now.
All our activities has to be more & more constructively utilised.
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1700 members & 79,000 messages on 31/8/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5500 species).

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 29, 2011, 2:28:33 AM9/29/11
to J.M. Garg, Balkar Arya, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Yes Garg ji
And the encouraging fact is that several members have started contributing and that too in a big way, and the success rate of identifications has gone very high.

Expect much more with uploads from Prashant ji, and our uploads from Chakrata and Kashmir.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Aarti S. Khale

Sep 29, 2011, 2:53:40 AM9/29/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg, Balkar Arya, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, Ushadi micromini, aarti...@gmail.com
Respected Gurcharan ji,
It was really thoughtful of you to include my name although I have
been away from the group for about a month and a half.
Returned few days ago and hope to share some pictures of flora from
Kashmir where I had been with my family.
Regards to all,
Aarti

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Sep 29, 2011, 9:09:32 PM9/29/11
to efloraofindia
We are just 250 messages short of 6000!! Can we do it today??
Best wishes to all of us...
Pankaj

On Sep 29, 2:53 pm, "Aarti S. Khale" <aarti.kh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Respected Gurcharan ji,
> It was really thoughtful of you to include my name although I have
> been away from the group for about a month and a half.
> Returned few days ago and hope to share some pictures of flora from
> Kashmir where I had been with my family.
> Regards to all,
> Aarti
>
> On Sep 27, 5:43 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Dear Members
> > Truly a great effort,5000poststarget in a month already achieved, and

Balkar Arya

Sep 29, 2011, 9:14:29 PM9/29/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Pankaj JI
From last 6-7 days i am not even sleeping a sound sleep. So today little headache. So instead of posting in efloraofindia today morning i saw a movies "The Rocketeer [1991]" very good movie. Now i am refreshed and will try to add a little in 250 figure.
Thanks

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 29, 2011, 9:18:46 PM9/29/11
to Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Sorry to hear about your headache. I think we all should help as much as we can.
I have become very much demanding I think.
" Insaan ki khwaishon ko koi intehaa nahi, do gaj zameen bhi chahiye,
do gaj qafan ke baad !!" :P
Pankaj

.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 29, 2011, 9:24:28 PM9/29/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Yes to remind again you have time till 11.00 of October 1, IST to cross that.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Sep 29, 2011, 9:44:14 PM9/29/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks Sir for reminding me. I should not be sluggish at this moment

J.M. Garg

Sep 30, 2011, 12:41:06 AM9/30/11
to Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
I think we should not set or look at targets. Rather these will come on their own if we enjoy what we are doing.
We should enjoy while posting & go through the message rather than getting burnt out.

Balkar Arya

Sep 30, 2011, 12:49:49 AM9/30/11
to J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Yes Garg Ji

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 30, 2011, 1:20:12 AM9/30/11
to Balkar Arya, J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Yes sir I agree.
I was not setting deadline or targets, I was just asking if we can do it.
Anyways please accept my apologies.
Pankaj

J.M. Garg

Sep 30, 2011, 1:24:12 AM9/30/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji that was my personal opinion though other may differ.
There is no question of apologies in such matters.
This was just a matter of discussions & opinions.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 30, 2011, 1:38:47 AM9/30/11
to J.M. Garg, Pankaj Kumar, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Garg ji
As I wrote just now in itpmods also, this month has not been simply game of numbers. It has seen truly high class uploads starting with Malvaceae week, and continuing throughout the month. We need mutual appraisal and encouragement to have real progress in the group. Not only we have seen highest ever uploads of identified plants this month, at the same time we have seen highest number of identifications ever.
    We need people like Pankaj ji to motivate, encourage and ensuring that the group really progresses.

Let those who see too many mails not complain. It is the progress of the group that counts, and as Ihave written earlier also there is always delete button, and fortunately Google gives us facility to select all, and then deselect few mjails that we want to preserve.

Happy mailing to all mmbers.

Na Bha

Sep 30, 2011, 5:44:20 AM9/30/11
to J.M. Garg, Pankaj Kumar, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
I feel like contributing to this discussion.

In the last days we are getting lots and lots of very good fotos posted by members. It is really a delight to see the fotos and know more about the plants.
I did not count, but more or less to every foto there is at least one "appreciation-mail" and one "thanks-mail". This increases the number of postings, good for statistics, but not so good, if one has limited time.

I like reading the information but must see also the "appreciation-mail" and "thanks-mail" to reach the info-mails. Certainly appreciation is a good motivation. Perhaps one can express the appreciation for a few fotos in one mail and perhaps one can say "thanks to all" instead of thanking each individual in an individual mail.

Again this is my personal opinion though other may differ. I feel happy when I get a shower of flowers rather than mail-pour bucketwise.

Regards
Nalini

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 30, 2011, 6:01:01 AM9/30/11
to Na Bha, J.M. Garg, Pankaj Kumar, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Thanks Nalini ji for your views
As for as thanking once is concerned I fully agree with you, you can thank all at the end of thread or after waiting for some time. But as far as appreciations are concerned, they are mostly confirmation of identification. Only a person who takes pains to photograph, process, and upload with lots of information knows how he/she feels if the mail goes unnoticed. Let us encourage the feeling of mutual encouragement that is so essential for the progress of our group.
    And as I wrote earlier also, there is always a delete button and Google provides us the facility of selecting all mails on a page, deselecting a few that need to be retained and press delete button. Further better such mails can always be skipped without reading. I mostly do it when it comes to especially trees from parts of India I am not familiar with.

Every day I delete more than 100 mails from Facebook, and it never takes more than five minutes.

   My request let us encourage new positive developments in the group,

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Satish Phadke

Sep 30, 2011, 6:23:29 AM9/30/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Na Bha, J.M. Garg, Pankaj Kumar, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Thanks Nalini and and Gurcharan ji for opening out with your views
Initially i was also of the opinion that too many Thank you messages are pouring and also getting counted in a total tally is not good for getting the numbers.
Gurcharan ji has raised a valid point which I liked. Appreciation has essential part in every-bodies life. By just appreciating one can extract hidden talents and many unknown facts from many members esp. those who are reluctant to post. See the posts from those who joined recently. Some of them are posting plants which are ordinary or much discussed earlier still they got encouragemnt because of the IDs and responses. At the same time many members including me got the information of those plants esp garden plants.
Long live Efloraindia
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 30, 2011, 7:01:00 AM9/30/11
to Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, Na Bha, J.M. Garg, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Ok, from now onwards I will thank u all in advance :))...
To me sometimes it feels that the other side doesnt take it casually
if I dont thank them!!
But I dont mind !!
Pankaj