upper Chamba id al300811a

Alok Mahendroo

Aug 30, 2011, 1:01:56 PM8/30/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
Looking back as hindsight.. I realise that I should have spent more time
photographing better images... except for the fact that I was still in
the middle of nowhere and had miles to go before I would sleep....

Location Chamba
Altitude 4500 mts
Habit herb
Habitat wild
Plant height 12 inches

regards
Alok
--
Himalayan Village Education Trust
Village Khudgot,

www.hivetrust.wordpress.com
www.forwildlife.wordpress.com
http://mushroomobserver.org/observer/observations_by_user?_js=on&_new=true&id=2186

073111_1488.jpg
073111_1487.jpg
073111_1486.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 31, 2011, 12:07:45 AM8/31/11
to Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia
Valeriana sp

Basal and middle leaves need to be seen for species fixation.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Alok Mahendroo

Aug 31, 2011, 3:08:43 AM8/31/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Sir, these are the best enlargements I can take from the high-res
photos...
Regards
Alok
valmiddle2.jpeg
valmiddle.jpeg
valbasall.jpeg
valbasal.jpeg

Satish Phadke

Aug 31, 2011, 3:13:35 AM8/31/11
to Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia
Alok ji
Your experience is not different than many others.
The same thing happened with me during my Spiti visit. Most of my group members were interested in watching birds and I used to be the laggard running behind plants.
Anyway you are from Himalayan region. You may get time again to observe these plants again and take more photographs. We are enjoying the genera at least. Keep posting.
Dr Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 31, 2011, 4:05:57 AM8/31/11
to Satish Phadke, Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia
I will go with V. pyrolaefolia

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Alok Mahendroo

Aug 31, 2011, 4:21:49 AM8/31/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Ahhh.. yes sir, I remember your own id keys...

"Perhaps it should be understood that all three species V. pyrolaefolia,
V.jatamansii and V. hardwickii have simple basal leaves. In V.
pyrolaefolia cauline are also simple, in V. jatamansii cauline 3-fid and
in Hardwickii cauline 3-7 pinnatipartite"

I guess I should revise my lessons more often...
Thank you once again sir..
regards
Alok
On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 13:35 +0530, Gurcharan Singh wrote:
> pyrolaefolia

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 31, 2011, 4:43:45 AM8/31/11
to Alok Mahendroo, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Alok ji
Perhaps some more searching. Although basal leaves are not cordate, I see some cauline leaves with basal lobes. So V. jatamansi is also under consideration.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

Sep 30, 2016, 1:04:13 PM9/30/16
to efloraofindia, Alok Mahendroo, Gurcharan Singh
Appears more closer to the images at Valeriana himalayana Grubov
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

073111_1488.jpg
073111_1487.jpg
073111_1486.jpg