Malvaceae Week: Tilia platyphyllos from Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 10, 2011, 10:03:25 PM9/10/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Tilia platyphyllos Scop.,  Fl. Carniol. ed. 2, 1: 373 1771.

Common names: big-leaf lindenbroadleaf limelarge-leaf limelarge-leaf linden

Tree with pubescent young branches; leaves broadly ovate, up to 12 cm long, obliquely cordate, regularly serrate, pubescent beneath especially along veins; flowers creamish in drooping cymes, usually 3, rarely 4-6 flowered, peduncle united for half its length to the ligulate bract; sepals and petals five each; stamens many; fruit pear-shaped.

Photographed from Emporium Garden in Srinagar, Kashmir.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Tilia-platyphyllos-Emporium-garden-Kashmir-1.jpg
Tilia-platyphyllos-Emporium-garden-Kashmir-2.jpg
Tilia-platyphyllos-Emporium-garden-Kashmir-3.jpg

Balkar Arya

Sep 10, 2011, 10:04:57 PM9/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Another feather in cap of malvaceae Cap. thanks sir
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Ushadi micromini

Sep 10, 2011, 11:30:25 PM9/10/11
to efloraofindia
very nice to see asian lindens...

which by the way are supposed to be more varieties than northwestern
hemisphers...

wonder how many do we have in the himalayas...

Usha di
==

On Sep 11, 7:04 am, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another feather in cap of malvaceae Cap. thanks sir
>

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > *Tilia platyphyllos* Scop.,  Fl. Carniol. ed. 2, 1: 373 1771.
>
> > Common names: *big-leaf linden*, *broadleaf lime*, *large-leaf lime*, *large-leaf
> > linden*

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 10, 2011, 11:40:32 PM9/10/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
A European plant Ushadi

I have seen a single cultivated tree in Kashmir (seeing it since 1970) grown in Kashmir Arts Emporium Garden in Srinagar, which interestingly has several interesting plants grown since a long time.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 11, 2011, 6:29:27 AM9/11/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish, Gurcharan Singh
flowers/ fruits give the appearence of fig
Madhuri

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 11, 2011, 7:32:05 AM9/11/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
They remind more of a fossil group Glossopteridae which was common in Jurassic along with Dinosaurs and perished at the same time, having its inflorescence attached to the petiole of leaf, a structure known as gonophyll, which at least one author (Melville) thought gave rise to angiosperms. The fossils of this group are met in all present day splits of original Gondwana land of which India was once a part.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

formp...@yahoo.com

Sep 11, 2011, 4:18:54 PM9/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Efloraindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Ok. Not much familiar with examples from Botany in evolution.
Thanks.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel