Re: [efloraofindia:58022] Flora picture of the Year 2010.......Michelia champak

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jan 21, 2011, 2:45:30 AM1/21/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, satish phadke, Anand Kumar Bhatt
If you see the tradtional Indian flowers, they are mostly fragrant and not very bright coloured. Perhaps the most fragrant of the lot is Michelia Champak, and it as of a colour which could not be named and therefore anything (saree!) of the same colour is known as champai. It is soft vibranr orange, and the  heady perfume is all-pervading during the bloom  time. No wonder it is used in the manufacture of Joy, one of the most expensive perfumes in the world.
This flower was plucked by my wife even before I could snap it in the branch of the small plant which I have recently procured from Pune, courtesy my son and daughter-in-law. It is a difficult to grow this plant in the dry hot weather of Gwalior. It thrives well in humid and mild climate. When my wife went to Coorg recently she claimed to have seen 100 year old huge trees of Champa!.
This flower has gone in folklores and mythological stories. Saat Bhai Champa is a famous folk story and Lata has so feelingly sung the story in BANGLA.
For me this the flower and the flower picture of the year.
ak

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 11:01 AM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear members,
Year 2010 is passing by & Efloraofindia has generated lot of interest in photographing Indian Flora, their identification & knowing/ learning about them.
Let us post one of our best images by each of the member- it may be based on a difficult situation, a rare plant, a technically sound image, a beauty never to be forgotten, a beauty of joy etc. Let us keep the subject as "Flora Picture of the year- 2010- Name of the Photographer"only. Don't forget to tell the story behind the picture, which makes even an ordinary picture look outstanding.
Last two years' pictures & story behind them are available at http://indiantreepix.blogspot.com/2009/12/flora-picture-of-year-2009-best-images.html & http://indiantreepix.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html
We can request Satish Phadke ji to put them along with the stories/ comments on the blog with his expertise in this area as he has done in last year.
This year in addition we may be asking members to vote for the best image among those entered after Satish ji compiles them in a blog.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Mahadeswara

Jan 21, 2011, 8:58:14 AM1/21/11
to efloraofindia
Mysore city is famous for this particular flower. You can see
varieties of champak during the season. I will try to post the
photographs of flowers on trees when they start flowering.
> >http://indiantreepix.blogspot.com/2009/12/flora-picture-of-year-2009-...&
> >http://indiantreepix.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html
> > We can request Satish Phadke ji to put them along with the stories/
> > comments on the blog with his expertise in this area as he has done in last
> > year.
> > This year in addition we may be asking members to vote for the best image
> > among those entered after Satish ji compiles them in a blog.
> > --
> > With regards,
> > J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> > 'Creating awareness of Indian Flora & Fauna'
> > The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a *thousand species* &
> > eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged
> > alphabetically & place-wise):
> >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg. You can also use them
> > for free as per liberal licensing conditions attached with each image.
> > For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora,
> > please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:
> >http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix(more than 1475 members &
> > 57,000 messages on 16/12/10 & with a database of around 4400 species on
> > 30/11/10)
>
> --
> Anand Kumar Bhatt
> A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
> Gwalior. 474 005.
> Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
> My blogsite is at:http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
> (A NEW BLOG HAS BEEN ADDED ON 3 SEPT 2010.)
> And the photo site:www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Ten most  common surnames of Indians: Singh, Kumar, Sharma, Patel, Shah,
> Lal, Gupta, Bhat, Rao, Reddy. Cheers!
>
>  The flower was plucked by my wife, even before I could take its snap in the morning today!.jpg
> 41KViewDownload

formp...@yahoo.com

Jan 21, 2011, 1:46:37 PM1/21/11
to Mahadeswara, indian...@googlegroups.com
The open fruits with red seeds also look buetiful
Madhuri
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

mani nair

Jan 22, 2011, 1:22:17 AM1/22/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, Mahadeswara, indian...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful flower Anand ji. I had this tree growing in a pot. The
fragrance is heavenly.
Regards,
Mani.