Cardiospermum for ID : 050511 : AK-1

Aarti S. Khale

May 5, 2011, 5:22:10 AM5/5/11
to efloraofindia
Taken at Dindori, Maharashtra on the 27th of Feb, 2011 in a Grape vineyard.
It seems to be Cardiospermum sp.
Regards,
Aarti
Cardiospermum-P1130227.JPG

Mahadeswara

May 5, 2011, 10:34:15 AM5/5/11
to efloraofindia
Cardiospermum sp.for me also. But not sure whether it is
C.halicacabum.
>  Cardiospermum-P1130227.JPG
> 215KViewDownload

Ushadi micromini

May 5, 2011, 9:39:34 PM5/5/11
to efloraofindia, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh

Yes, Cardiospermum..., and did you get to open a pod ....
cardiospermum varieties I have seen all have a round seed inside with
a heart shaped white patch....on the flattish end... wonderful to
behold....... I have been told that's why the name cardiospermum...

Ushadi

======

On May 5, 2:22 pm, "Aarti S. Khale" <aarti.kh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Cardiospermum-P1130227.JPG
> 215KViewDownload

Vijayasankar

May 6, 2011, 12:57:26 AM5/6/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Yes, this is Cardiospermum halicacabum (= C. halicacabum var. microcarpum).
Stems and leaves are generally glabrous; fruits deeply 3-lobed, winged along margins, not inflated, less than 2 cm across.

A popular medicine for joint pains, the leaves are commonly used (in Tamil Nadu) as green vegetable.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Aarti S. Khale

May 6, 2011, 10:35:49 AM5/6/11
to Ushadi micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Usha di,
Good to hear from you.
No, I did not open the pod and see the seed.Will keep this in mind
during my next visit.
This visit was mainly to see the Grapes just before harvesting began
as this area Dindori is famous for grapes.And the taste of the home
cooked lunch with fresh vegetables from the same farm was amazing.
Aarti

> > 215KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Aarti S. Khale

May 6, 2011, 10:38:44 AM5/6/11
to Vijayasankar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Vijayasankar ji,
Sorry to have missed out on your post.
Thanks to you too for the id.
Regards,
Aarti

On May 6, 8:57 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, this is *Cardiospermum halicacabum *(= C. halicacabum var.

> microcarpum).
> Stems and leaves are generally glabrous; fruits deeply 3-lobed, winged along
> margins, not inflated, less than 2 cm across.
>
> A popular medicine for joint pains, the leaves are commonly used (in Tamil
> Nadu) as green vegetable.
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi
>
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Ushadi micromini

> <microminipho...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Yes, Cardiospermum..., and did you get to open a pod ....
> > cardiospermum varieties I have seen all have a round seed inside with
> > a heart shaped white patch....on the flattish end... wonderful to
> > behold....... I have been told that's why the name cardiospermum...
>
> > Ushadi
>
> > ======
>
> > On May 5, 2:22 pm, "Aarti S. Khale" <aarti.kh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Taken at Dindori, Maharashtra on the 27th of Feb, 2011 in a Grape
> > vineyard.
> > > It seems to be Cardiospermum sp.
> > > Regards,
> > > Aarti
>
> > >  Cardiospermum-P1130227.JPG

Dr Pankaj Kumar

May 8, 2011, 5:15:49 PM5/8/11
to efloraofindia
I have never seen red stem in Cardiospermum!!
Could this be a different variety?
Pankaj

JM Garg

Jan 12, 2018, 7:41:41 AM1/12/18
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, BISWAJIT ROY : n JOY
A reply from another thread from Dr. Biswajit Roy:
This may be Cardiospermum microcarpum.

Thanks, Biswajit ji.
Cardiospermum-P1130227.JPG

Aarti S. Khale

Jan 12, 2018, 11:44:09 AM1/12/18
to JM Garg, efloraofindia, BISWAJIT ROY : n JOY
Thanks Garg Ji.
How do you distinguish the two Species?
Regards,
Aarti

J.M. Garg

Jan 14, 2018, 11:24:42 PM1/14/18
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Pl. check keys and comparative images at genera page in efi site.