Please Identify this Bauhinia species

C. Susanth

Aug 16, 2010, 2:31:03 AM8/16/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Susanth Uncle

Hai all
Here I attached the two images of a Bauhinia species found in evergreen forests,especially seen near the forest streams.
Is it Bauhinia purpera?
Expert please identify this medium tree seen near the forest streams.
with warm regards
susanth
--
C.Susanth passion on Nature
Prakriti,SNRA-20

Tabish

Aug 16, 2010, 3:25:32 AM8/16/10
to efloraofindia
Red Orchid Bush or Red Orchid Tree
Bauhinia galpinii
http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=232
- Tabish
>  Bauhinia species .jpg
> 305KViewDownload
>
>  Bauhinia species.jpg
> 416KViewDownload

Muthu Karthick

Aug 16, 2010, 4:44:20 AM8/16/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Really very nice pictures.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Kenneth Greby

Aug 16, 2010, 6:25:49 AM8/16/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
 I don't believe that this is B. punctata (B. galpinii), which is more of a scrambler or arching shrub. I have seldom seen them taller than 15'/m, with support. Also, B. punctata lacks the colored new foliage shown, as well as having a more rounded leaf.

 I do not recognize this species, at least from the pictures.

Regards--
Ken.

Aug 17, 2010, 7:34:53 AM8/17/10
to promila chaturvedi, Kenneth Greby, Tabish, efloraofindia
i too believe that this is not a B.punctata(B.galpinii)..i believe that it may be the red form of B.purperea
thanx to Tabish,Muthu,Kenneth and promila for making comments.
More comments expect from the experts
with warm regards
susanth

Tabish

Aug 17, 2010, 9:31:41 AM8/17/10
to efloraofindia
This mysterious Bauhinia surely cannot be B. purpurea, because the
shape of the petals is very different. In addition, B. purpurea has
exactly three stamens, whereas the picture here shows more than 3
diverging stamens. I proposed Bauhinia galpinii just by elimination,
as I know of no other Bauhinia with red flowers, which looks anywhere
close to this. I hope there is another Bauhinia species which agrees
well with the pictures here.
- Tabish

On Aug 17, 4:34 pm, "C. Susanth" <c.susa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i too believe that this is not a B.punctata(B.galpinii)..i believe that it
> may be the red form of B.purperea
> thanx to Tabish,Muthu,Kenneth and promila for making comments.
> More comments expect from the experts
> with warm regards
> susanth
>
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 5:00 PM, promila chaturvedi <
>

> thegardener.chaturv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I fully agree with Kenneth G. Bauhinia galpinii is scrambler or arching
> > shrub medium height shrub.
> > Promila
>
> > On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Kenneth Greby <fstf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >>   I don't believe that this is B. punctata (B. galpinii), which is more
> >> of a scrambler or arching shrub. I have seldom seen them taller than 15'/m,
> >> with support. Also, B. punctata lacks the colored new foliage shown, as
> >> well as having a more rounded leaf.
>
> >>  I do not recognize this species, at least from the pictures.
>
> >> Regards--
> >> Ken.
>
> >>  ------------------------------

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 17, 2010, 10:39:38 AM8/17/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Yes Tabish ji
B. galpinii seems to be the closest match (Bailey keys it as only species with brick red flowers), but presence of 5 stamens can't be easily ignored (atleast in this genus, where sectional classification is often based on number of stamens). This also seems to have narrower petals and thinner leaves with much more prominent veins. Let explore further.

Vijayasankar

Aug 17, 2010, 9:56:17 PM8/17/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, efloraofindia
Pl check it for Bauhinia phoenicea.
With regards

Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 17, 2010, 10:24:48 PM8/17/10
to Vijayasankar, Tabish, efloraofindia
Yes Vijayasankar ji
You have got it finally. It is reported to be common in western Ghats. This is what my Brandis writes: A gigantic climber. Leaves glabrous above, minutely hairy beneath. Flowers bright crimson. Calyx tube as long as the 5 linear-lanceolate segments. Petals 1.5 inch long, claw linear, as long as ovate-lanceolate limb. Stamens 5. Pod downy, 6 by 1 inch.

Tabish ji, good, that you initiated a critical discussion.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Vijayasankar

Aug 17, 2010, 10:38:47 PM8/17/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan ji, for the validation. There is no much info about this sp in the net. The species also occurs in Northeast i suppose.

With regards

Vijayasankar

Tabish

Aug 18, 2010, 7:33:07 AM8/18/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Vijaysankar,
This is a revelation for me! Bauhinia phoenicea seems to be the
right id. Just to add to the description provided by Gurcharan ji,
Leaves are 8.5-14 cm long, 5-10 cm wide, prominently nerved, nerves
8-9, emerging from the base. Flowers are scarlet red. And stamens are
5, all fertile. Distributed in Western Ghats.
The pictures here agree very well with the description, especially the
prominent nerves and 5 fertile stamens.
We are all more knowledgeable now, after this discussion.
Cheers!
- Tabish

On Aug 18, 7:38 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Gurcharan ji, for the validation. There is no much info about this sp
> in the net. The species also occurs in Northeast i suppose.
>
> With regards
>
> Vijayasankar
>
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes Vijayasankar ji
> > You have got it finally. It is reported to be common in western Ghats. This
> > is what my Brandis writes: A gigantic climber. Leaves glabrous above,
> > minutely hairy beneath. Flowers bright crimson. Calyx tube as long as the 5
> > linear-lanceolate segments. Petals 1.5 inch long, claw linear, as long as
> > ovate-lanceolate limb. Stamens 5. Pod downy, 6 by 1 inch.
>
> > Tabish ji, good, that you initiated a critical discussion.
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Pl check it for *Bauhinia phoenicea. *
> >>http://culturesheet.org/fabaceae:bauhinia:phoenicea
> >> With regards
>
> >> Vijayasankar

Tabish

Aug 18, 2010, 7:52:51 AM8/18/10
to efloraofindia
Just one more thing to add:
The species name phoenicea refers to the red color, in allusion to the
color of a reddish dye which is one of the things ancient Phoenicia
was known for.
- Tabish

C. Susanth

Aug 18, 2010, 11:33:32 AM8/18/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Dear All,
I am grateful to Vijayashankar,Dr.Gurucharan Singh and Mr.Tabish for identifying  the Bauhinia species i photographed.
with warm regards
Susanth

Vijayasankar

Aug 18, 2010, 2:21:34 PM8/18/10
to C. Susanth, Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks Tabish ji, for confirming the id.

With regards

Vijayasankar