Tree for identification 030511MK2

Muthu Karthick

May 3, 2011, 2:01:18 AM5/3/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Kindly help to ID this tree found in a sacred grove near Kothagiri. Could this be any Oleaceae?

Date/Time-

10-04-2011 / 10:00 AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GP

ca.1800m ASL; Kothagiri, TN

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

wild

Plant Habit-

tree

Height/Length-

7 m long

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

imparipinnate; each leaflet 6 x 2 cm

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

c.10 cm across

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

white

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

not observed

Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

G 169.jpg
G 165.jpg
G 166.jpg
G 167.jpg
G 168.jpg

Vijayasankar

May 3, 2011, 2:19:07 AM5/3/11
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Oleaceae members generally have only 2 stamens. This could be a Zanthoxylum (= Xanthoxylum) species, but I am not sure.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

prasad dash

May 6, 2011, 1:51:35 AM5/6/11
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Dear Muthuji looks like Z. armatum to me, but batk is needed for conformation. Can u please upload the bark?

Regards

Prasadd

May 7, 2011, 4:34:46 AM5/7/11
to prasad dash, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Thank you for the inputs Vijayashankar sir and Prasadji. I don't have picture of bark now; and will upload later.

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 2, 2011, 1:19:50 AM6/2/11
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, kotta...@gmail.com, prasad dash
Resurfacing again for ID

Earlier feedback

Vijayasankar ji...................................Oleaceae members generally have only 2 stamens. This could be a Zanthoxylum (= Xanthoxylum) species, but I am not sure.

Kottaimuthu.............................................................Oleaceae members generally have only 2 stamens. This could be a Zanthoxylum (= Xanthoxylum) species, but I am not sure.

Prasad ji.................................................................Dear Muthuji looks like Z. armatum to me, but batk is needed for conformation. Can u please upload the bark?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

amit chauhan

Jun 2, 2011, 1:39:55 AM6/2/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, kotta...@gmail.com, prasad dash
Hi,

Zanthoxylum armatum have spines on stems may be some other species

--
Dr. Amit Chauhan
Junior Technical Assistant

H S

Jun 2, 2011, 2:59:28 PM6/2/11
to amit chauhan, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, kotta...@gmail.com, prasad dash
It look like Olea dioica to me, Oleaceae family
Please give more details about the plant..

 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Ushadi micromini

Jun 3, 2011, 1:46:45 AM6/3/11
to efloraofindia
Dear All and Muthu ji:
what is a sacred grove in this tree's context.....
I know what wikipedia says....
that's not what I am asking...
I am asking a specific question....
WHAT IS THIS SACRED GROVE...and what is it used for?
and why?

I have seen this phrase Sacred grove in tree ID requests a few times
here in eflora....

thanks
Usha di
===========\

On May 3, 11:01 am, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> Kindly help to ID this tree found in a sacred grove near Kothagiri. Could
> this be any Oleaceae?
>
>  *Date/Time-*
>
> 10-04-2011 / 10:00 AM
>
> *Location- Place, Altitude, GP*
>
> ca.1800m ASL; Kothagiri, TN
>
> *Habitat-** Garden**/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-*
>
> wild
>
> *Plant Habit-*
> tree
>
> *Height/Length-*
>
> 7 m long
>
> *Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-*
>
> imparipinnate; each leaflet 6 x 2 cm
>
> *Inflorescence Type/ Size-*
>
> c.10 cm across
>
> *Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-*
> white
>
> *Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- *
> not observed
>
> *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.-*
>
> --
> Muthu Karthick, N
> Care Earth Trust
> #15, second main road,
> Thillai ganga nagar,
> Chennai - 600 061
> Mob: 0091 96268 33911www.careearthtrust.org
>
>  G 169.jpg
> 245KViewDownload
>
>  G 165.jpg
> 167KViewDownload
>
>  G 166.jpg
> 196KViewDownload
>
>  G 167.jpg
> 199KViewDownload
>
>  G 168.jpg
> 215KViewDownload

Ushadi micromini

Jun 3, 2011, 7:35:18 AM6/3/11
to efloraofindia
Thank you for your prompt answer , now I understand the meaning and
the social context and impact of such a space that is set aside...
perhaps happens in India mainly... wonder if the sacred grove concept
is operational elsewhere in the other religious sects or
traditions....
for the sake of completion of (for keeping the records handy) I have
pasted the two responses I got so promptly...
Ist is from Mr. prasanna gogate and second from Dr.
Shiddamallayya ...

Response 1: "Sacred grooves means place near to temple which is not
distrubed by human being . it is reserved forest maintained by local
people without any government action. people do not cut any plant or
twig so flora is maintained.it maintained by our people to conserve
flora and fauna. mostly they evergreen plant and now they under
revenue department, thank you"

Response 2: "Sacred grove means tree are maintained for worship.
Nothing can be plucked from the tree."

Thank you both
If you could point me to some books or articles on Sacred groves?
Thanks
Usha di.

===

On Jun 3, 10:46 am, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Dear All and Muthu ji:
> what is asacredgrovein this tree's context.....
> I know what wikipedia says....
> that's not what I am asking...
> I am asking a specific question....
> WHAT IS THISSACREDGROVE...and what is it used for?
> and why?
>
> I have seen this phraseSacredgrovein tree ID requests a few times
> here in eflora....
>
> thanks
> Usha di
> ===========\
>
> On May 3, 11:01 am, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> > Kindly help to ID this tree found in asacredgrovenear Kothagiri. Could

ushadi Micromini

Jun 3, 2011, 10:27:29 AM6/3/11
to H S, efloraofindia
thank you...please copy or forward your write up/this response to eflora for the thread.... it would keep the entire story together....
i think...
usha di

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 5:41 PM, H S <hemsan.bh@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
Sacred groves are the place where, the villagers worship any God or
may be some tree, or some special shape of stone or may be
anything.......or they are afraid of any evil in the area, hence they
dont cut any trees or kill any animal in that area, may be in fear of
that it would harm their family....
any ways this worked for preserving the forest... in sacred groves we
can see very old, rare, endangered trees.... sacred groves shows
50-70% different flora than the area around the groves...
hence its important to save all the sacred groves in the country..

regards

Shan Rajasekaran

Jun 3, 2011, 1:08:47 PM6/3/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, H S
C.P.R. Environmental Education Centre has published a few books on eco-heritage and sacred groves:

ENVIS Centre on Ecological Heritage and Sacred Sites of India.

Regards
Shan

ushadi Micromini

Jun 3, 2011, 7:02:24 PM6/3/11
to Shan Rajasekaran, efloraofindia, H S
Thank you everybody, this will keep me busy for a while...
will let you know what I find and may be start to discover similar stuff in West Bengal...although no publication, even a news report was found about such or any ...endeavors...
Usha di
=======

Shan Rajasekaran

Jun 3, 2011, 10:17:07 PM6/3/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, H S
Usha di,

Here are some references for sacred groves in West Bengal:

  1. List of sacred groves in West Bengal. http://www.ecoheritage.cpreec.org/viewsacdetail.php?$mFJyBfK$MOIb-B5vugEjZ3AWI4CpkQ6k
  2. Das, K. and Malhotra K. C. 1997. Sacred groves in Midnapore district, West Bengal. Report submitted to RANWA, Pune.
  3. Bhakat, R.K., Socio-religious and Ecological Perspective of a Sacred Grove from Midnapore District, West Bengal, Science and Culture, Vol. 69, No. 11- 12,pp. 371 – 374, 2003.
  4. Ethnomedicinal Plant Conservation Through Sacred Groves by R. K. Bhakat and U. K. Sen  (West Midnapore district) http://www.krepublishers.com/06-Special%20Volume-Journal/S-T%20&%20T-00-Special%20Volumes/T%20&%20T-SV-02-Hlth-Nut-Problems-Web/T%20&%20T-SV-02-055-08-06-Bhakat-R-K/T%20&%20T-SV-02-055-08-06-Bhakat-R-K-Tt.pdf
  5. Sacred Groves of India : an Annotated Bibliography by Kailash C. Malhotra, Yogesh Gokhale and Ketaki Das has several references for West Bengal  http://www.ces.iisc.ernet.in/biodiversity/sahyadri_enews/newsletter/issue4/Yogesh_Anno_bib.pdf
  6. Conservation of Local Ethno-Medicinal Trees of Midnapore District, West Bengal Through a Sacred Grove by Bhakat, R.K. Pandit, P.K. Maity, P.P. http://direct.bl.uk/bld/PlaceOrder.do?UIN=219235596&ETOC=RN

Regards
Shan

formp...@yahoo.com

Jun 4, 2011, 3:24:01 AM6/4/11
to ushadi Micromini, Efloraindia, Shan Rajasekaran, H S
It is felt that for the purpose of conservation the 'educated' then must have told common people that the trees near the god should not be cut, flowers should not be plucked. Animals should not be killed. Due to this the Biodiversity there got prereved. In olden era people believed, worshiped, feared The Almighty, hence this believe might have come into existance.
Such forests in Marathi is called Devrai, Gods forest.
Similarly near temples we can see the small lakes or ponds called Devtal. This is also one way of presevation, conservation of water.
We can see such sacred grooves, in forests, in mangroves, near villages.
In Maharashtra in Phansad sanctury is such big Sacred groove, is seen. It has some big creepers of about 150to 200yrs old. This creeper in Marathi is called Garabi.
Many small other devrais also exist at present don't have the list.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: ushadi Micromini <micromi...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 04:32:24 +0530
To: Shan Rajasekaran<rajsh...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:71011] Re: Tree for identification 030511MK2

Ushadi micromini

Jun 5, 2011, 6:58:39 AM6/5/11
to Shan Rajasekaran, efloraofindia
Dear Shan: this is a very useful listing... thank you for taking
your time and typing out the list.... ...Usha di
=====

On Jun 4, 7:17 am, Shan Rajasekaran <rajshaa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> >> thank you...please copy or forward your write up/this response to eflora for the thread.... it would keep the entire story together....
> >> i think...
> >> usha di
>

> >> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 5:41 PM, H S <hemsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> Sacred groves are the place where, the villagers worship any God or
> >> may be some tree, or some special shape of stone or may be
> >> anything.......or they are afraid of any evil in the area, hence they
> >> dont cut any trees or kill any animal in that area, may be in fear of
> >> that it would harm their family....
> >> any ways this worked for preserving the forest... in sacred groves we
> >> can see very old, rare, endangered trees.... sacred groves shows
> >> 50-70% different flora than the area around the groves...
> >> hence its important to save all the sacred groves in the country..

Message has been deleted

Ushadi micromini

Jun 5, 2011, 9:35:52 AM6/5/11
to efloraofindia, ushadi Micromini
I have added to the subject line so we can easily find this thread in
future.....
usha.
==

Muthu Karthick

Jun 16, 2011, 7:11:52 AM6/16/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
yes Ushaji, Sacred groves are meant as 'Forests for God', no other activity including medicinal plant collection is allowed by a particular tribe who manages and worships the grove. They believe that Gods live there.

The tree I photographed is a sacred grove in Nilgiris [Banagudi] managed by the 'Kurubar' tribe. State Forest Dept also recognises this area and kept as Protected Area.

Vijayasankar

May 6, 2011, 1:38:54 AM5/6/11
to indiatreepix
Jun 16, 2011, 7:12:27 AM6/16/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
I didn't saw any armature in the bark of this tree. May be I overlooked.

JM Garg

Sep 1, 2022, 6:28:21 AM9/1/22
to Muthu Karthick, efloraofindia

This appears close to images at Staphylea cochinchinensis

G 169.jpg
G 165.jpg
G 166.jpg
G 167.jpg