Acanthaceae for id 290110MK2

Muthu Karthick

Jan 29, 2010, 5:54:08 AM1/29/10
to indiantreepix

Hi all,

This herb is locally distributed more in dry regions of Satyamangalam RF, at altitude of 450 msl. They grow up to a meter in height.
Kindly help to identify.
Date: 20 Jan 2010
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 28, 2010, 10:00:22 PM2/28/10
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Dr Santhosh Kumar, Vijayasankar Raman, Dinesh Valke
Resurfacing again for ID

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Acanthaceae.jpg
Acanthaceae (1).jpg
Acanthaceae (2).jpg

Dinesh Valke

Feb 28, 2010, 11:10:30 PM2/28/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Dr Santhosh Kumar, Vijayasankar Raman
... may not help in ID, the testure and colour of flower remind me of Eranthemum species ... leaves too look like it.
Regards.

J.M. Garg

Mar 17, 2010, 3:09:58 AM3/17/10
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar Raman

Earlier relevant feedback:

“... may not help in ID, the testure and colour of flower remind me of Eranthemum species ... leaves too look like it.” from Dinesh ji.

Mar 17, 2010, 3:34:33 AM3/17/10
to jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, nmk...@gmail.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com
I too believe these are Eranthemum roseum, attenuate leaves seen too.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 12:39:58 +0530
Subject: Fwd: [efloraofindia:30052] Acanthaceae for id 290110MK2
From: jmg...@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com
CC: nmk...@gmail.com; dinesh...@gmail.com; vijay.b...@gmail.com

All the latest on four wheels and more Get it now.

Parjanya guru

Mar 17, 2010, 5:31:58 AM3/17/10
to rashida atthar, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, nmk...@gmail.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com
I agree with Rashida..
These are flowers of Eranthemum roseum..
.. But please check for the fragrance...

tanay bose

Mar 17, 2010, 7:34:02 AM3/17/10
to Parjanya guru, rashida atthar, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, nmk...@gmail.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com
Dear All,
I go with Rashida Ji the plant is Eranthemum roseum.
Regards
Tanay
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Muthu Karthick

Mar 17, 2010, 7:45:17 AM3/17/10
to tanay bose, Parjanya guru, rashida atthar, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com
Thank you all, for the clarification.
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org

Muthu Karthick

Aug 12, 2010, 3:23:27 AM8/12/10
to tanay bose, Parjanya guru, rashida atthar, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com
Dear all,
Is this the plant called 'December Poo' in Tamil nadu? Please clarify

Muthu Karthick

Jan 29, 2011, 3:12:43 AM1/29/11
to tanay bose, Parjanya guru, rashida atthar, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 21, 2011, 8:09:01 AM2/21/11
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick

Forwarding again for Id assistance please.

Earlier relevant feedback:

“... may not help in ID, the testure and colour of flower remind me of Eranthemum species ... leaves too look like it.” from Dinesh ji.

Eranthemum roseum........Rashida ji, Prajanya ji and Tanay

Is this the plant called 'December Poo' in Tamil nadu? Please clarify

Please validate.
Muthu ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Feb 22, 2011, 2:31:36 AM2/22/11
to efloraofindia
Hello all
if
1. Bracts green with white ciliate margin, acuminate at apex.......E.
purpurascens
1. Bracts white with green nerves, mucronate at
apex.................E. roseum

Regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Jan 29, 1:12 pm, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> This is not *Eranthemum roseum* as the bracts are different when compared
> here,https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/16...
>
> <https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/16...>https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/83...
>
> <https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/83...>Please
> validate.
>

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> > Is this the plant called 'December Poo' in Tamil nadu? Please clarify
>
> > On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Thank you all, for the clarification.

Dinesh Valke

Feb 22, 2011, 2:46:05 AM2/22/11
to Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
... thank you very much for this differentiators, Satish ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

shrikant ingalhalikar

Feb 22, 2011, 3:48:32 AM2/22/11
to efloraofindia
I agree with Satish ji, bracts are clearly green and acuminate (not
white and mucronate) hence E. purpurascens. Regards, Shrikant

On Feb 22, 12:46 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... thank you very much for this differentiators, Satish ji.
> Regards.
> Dinesh
>
> > > Mob: 09626833911www.careearthtrust.org- Hide quoted text -

Muthu Karthick

Feb 22, 2011, 5:32:43 AM2/22/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Many thanks for the id and key, Shrikantji and Sathishji.
--
Muthu Karthick, N

Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

Mayur Nandikar

Feb 23, 2011, 1:22:39 AM2/23/11
to Muthu Karthick, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Hello
Eranthemum roseum R. Br.
Prodromus Florae Novae Hollandiae 1: 477. 1810.

--
Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 24, 2011, 8:40:15 AM3/24/11
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Dinesh Valke, Rashida Atthar, Parjanya guru, TANAY BOSE, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, mayur nandikar
It was during the resurfacing of this plant that doubts arose in my mind and led to the discovery of old posts of Dinesh ji Shrikant ji, and ultimately an illustrated  key for four closely related species of the genus.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?hl=en&shva=1#inbox/12e950a4586bf3bb

These were earlier feedbacks

Dinesh ji................................. testure (read texture) and colour of flower remind me of Eranthemum species ... leaves too

                                               look like it.” from Dinesh ji.

Eranthemum roseum..................Rashida ji, Prajanya ji and Tanay

Muthu ji.....................................This is not Eranthemum roseum as the bracts are different when compared here, https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/16cd495a9e0cfce/93418138a1b47a54?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=Eranthemum#93418138a1b47a54

1. Bracts green with white ciliate margin, acuminate at apex.......E. purpurascens
1. Bracts white with green nerves, mucronate at  apex.................E. roseum

Shrikant ji.........................................................I agree with Satish ji, bracts are clearly green and acuminate (not
white and mucronate) hence E. purpurascens. Regards, Shrikant

Mayur ji......................................................Eranthemum roseum R. Br....

Looking at the illustrated key of Shrikant ji, with my E. pulchellum added I find E. roseum with obovate mucronate is clearly out of picture. The plant also does not seem to be E. purpurascens because bracts are much narrower, with caudate apex.
Perhaps we may explore for some other species.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
Aug 18, 2011, 6:07:04 AM8/18/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Muthu Karthick, Dinesh Valke, Parjanya guru, TANAY BOSE, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, mayur nandikar, indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg
This plant, as Dinesh Ji pointed out, is Eranthemum capense L. of Acanthaceae family.

Key charecters;

In E. capense liniear (sometimes lanceolate) green bracts, long spike and viscidly gladular hairs.

In E. roseum the bracts are white with green nerves, elliptic ovate - obovate, bracts are mucronate/apiclate.
In E. purpurascens, the bracts are ovate-lanceolate long accuminate

Regards,
Giby.