Herb from Nilgiris for id 160211MK2

Muthu Karthick

Feb 16, 2011, 1:41:24 AM2/16/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Please help to id this herb. Could this be any Lindernia sp.? Photographed on a private garden floor at Ooty, Nilgiris.

Date/Time-

24-01-2011 / 11:10 AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GP

ca.2200asl; Ooty, TN

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

garden floor

Plant Habit-

herb

Height/Length-

c 10cm long

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

ca.2.5 x 2 cm;

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

pale blue or violetish; c. 0.4 cm across

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

IMG_3502.JPG
IMG_3503.JPG
IMG_3504.JPG
IMG_3505.JPG
IMG_3506.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 16, 2011, 3:41:37 AM2/16/11
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
I hope Veronica persica

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Feb 16, 2011, 10:18:46 AM2/16/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
I think sir ji is correct
Veronica persica
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Nidhan Singh

Feb 16, 2011, 10:32:56 AM2/16/11
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Hi,
This is the same plant from Shimla, pic taken in November 2010.
Regards,

--
Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany

veronica -shimla.JPG

Alok

Feb 16, 2011, 12:26:44 PM2/16/11
to efloraofindia
And we have them flowering now in Dalhousie.. almost the first flower
after winter
Alok

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 16, 2011, 9:21:50 PM2/16/11
to Alok, efloraofindia
Yes one of the very common species of this genus

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Muthu Karthick

Feb 17, 2011, 12:10:52 AM2/17/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Alok, efloraofindia
A reply from Amit chauhanji -- looks like Veronica persica (Scrophulariaceae)

Dear all,
Many thanks for the id and I can easily see the images of this plant in Google.

JM Garg

Jun 12, 2020, 6:49:28 AM6/12/20
to efloraofindia
IMG_3502.JPG
IMG_3503.JPG
IMG_3504.JPG
IMG_3505.JPG
IMG_3506.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jun 12, 2020, 6:53:52 AM6/12/20
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, David Merrick, GurcharanSingh, Nidhan Singh
A reply from David ji:
"You have what looks to be V. arvensis mixed - notice the small very short-stalked flowers and the upper flower leaves are like tongues  -

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,50,000 images are directly displayed on 31.1.20).

IMG_3502.JPG
IMG_3503.JPG
IMG_3504.JPG
IMG_3505.JPG
IMG_3506.JPG

Muthu Karthick

Oct 5, 2020, 8:29:29 AM10/5/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, David Merrick, GurcharanSingh, Nidhan Singh
Hi all,

I think the plant is Veronica polita Fries

J.M. Garg

Oct 7, 2020, 6:03:26 AM10/7/20
to Muthu Karthick, efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh, Nidhan Singh
Hi, Muthu ji,
1st three images are of Veronica arvensis and last two of Veronica persica
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Muthu Karthick

Oct 7, 2020, 6:08:49 AM10/7/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh, Nidhan Singh
Thank you Garg ji