Kalpataru

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Aug 12, 2008, 12:26:59 PM8/12/08
to indiantreepix Indian, J.M. Garg
Dear all:
Somebody had asked in a letter about what the Kalpataru is.
there is an intersesting book:"Plant Myth and Traditions" by Shakti M. Gupta published by Munshilal Manoharlal, PO Box 5715, 54 Rani Jhansi Road, New Delhi 110055.
In the book Kalpavriksha has been mentioned for 3 trees: coral tree,ficus bengalensis (bargad) and parijaat (nictanthes). I also read somewhere that Baobab tree is Kalpataaaru.
Take your pick.
Best wishes,
akbhatt

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Aug 13, 2008, 4:57:26 PM8/13/08
to indiantreepix Indian, barsha gogoi, J.M. Garg
I agree with you. I dont have any explanation. I had mentioned anotheer tree: baobab. It can contain gallons of water inside. Maybe thaaat is why.
But it is all a guesswork. Garg-ji, do you know anything about it?
all the best,
akbhatt

J.M. Garg

Aug 13, 2008, 9:06:54 PM8/13/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, indiantreepix Indian, barsha gogoi
Here is Ulhas ji's reply against other mail:
"3) Kalpataru is an abstract name used for very very useful plants,
wherein all the parts of plant are useful.  In the Konkan region
Coconut palm is called Kalpataru because of its multiple use in that
region.  Baobab (Adonsonia digitata) is an ecological kalpataru since
the tree supports diverse ecosystems.  The same could be said for the
trees from Ficus group - Banyan, Pimpal, Umbar etc.  These trees are
called Keystone species due to their ecological importance.
I have found Sandal (Santalum album) tree very useful.  Its economic
properties are well known, however its ecological value is immense.
It is evergreen, hardy, fast growing and supports different form of
animal life.  I won't mind calling it Kalpataru."

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Aug 13, 2008, 9:41:33 PM8/13/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, indiantreepix Indian, barsha gogoi
Does Kalpataru also mean 'Multipurpose trees'? See the definition of 'Multipurpose trees' & a few of them like Neem (Azadirachta indica), Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus), Ipil Ipil or giant haole koa (Leucaena leucocephala), Coconut (Cocos nucifera), Mango (Mangifera indica), Peach palm (Bactris gasipaes), Tamarind (Tamarindus indica), Madre de Cacao (Gliricidia sepium) from India: http://www.agroforestry.net/overstory/overstory16.html

satish phadke

Aug 14, 2008, 12:38:08 AM8/14/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, indiantreepix Indian, barsha gogoi, J.M. Garg
Baobab tree is always in news.
Here is one latest news link explaining its uses.
http://www.medindia.net/news/Europe-Recognizes-Health-Benefits-of-Baobab-Fruit-40414-1.htm
Satish

Pankaj Oudhia

Aug 14, 2008, 2:33:37 AM8/14/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Ulhas ji is right. Here is my recent Hindi article on Kalpvriksha. Please visit

http://pratikriyaa.blogspot.com/2008/08/16.html

Pankaj Oudhia