Euphorbiaceae week :: Jatropha curcas

Satish Phadke

Mar 8, 2011, 10:50:52 AM3/8/11
to indiantreepix
Jatropha curcas
The Bio diesel plant with flowers. Pune
Dr Phadke
JatrophaDSCN9718.jpg
Jatropha curcas1.jpg
Jatropha curcas.jpg
JatrophaDSCN9712.jpg

Satish Phadke

Mar 8, 2011, 10:58:46 AM3/8/11
to indiantreepix
Plant pictures DSCN 9712 and DSCN9718 are from different place and at different time. I am not sure whether they are same species Pl opine.
Dr Phadke

Swagat

Mar 8, 2011, 11:23:34 AM3/8/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix

Dear all,

'Jatropha curcas' is called 'Mogali Erand' 'मोगली एरंड' or Ratanjyot' 'रतनज्योत' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9422317979 / 9223217568

Rashida Atthar

Mar 8, 2011, 11:52:47 PM3/8/11
to Swagat, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Satish ji  to me all your pics look to be of  J. Curcas only.

Would like to add some info. about the uses- the parts used are Leaf, Rootbark, Seed, Juice and Oil. Constituents : Seed; oi, lsugar, starch, Albumin,Caseine, inorganic matter. Oil; Jatrophic acid,Curcin, Phytosterol.
Action/uses: Seed; acronarcotic. seed & oil; purgative, internally & externally depurative & antiseptic. Leaf; lactagogue. Stem juice; haemostatic & styptic. Rootbark;stomatic, astringent.
Used in dyspepsia,diarrhoea, to cure bleeding, spongy gum as poultice on boils. (Ref- Nature Heals pg :24).

regards,
Rashida.