Wild Plant from Neora Valley

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Jul 13, 2011, 3:23:40 PM7/13/11
to efloraofindia
Hi
got this lovely plant in the Neora valley NP of the eastern Himalayas.
Pl help with its ID...

regards
Shantanu  : )
plant.jpg

Vijayasankar

Jul 13, 2011, 3:39:32 PM7/13/11
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Nice picture! I think it is Oxyspora paniculata of Melastomataceae.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52033111@N08/5520624320/in/photostream/

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Ushadi micromini

Jul 14, 2011, 12:26:40 PM7/14/11
to efloraofindia

leaves here are red... is it because of color shift in photography or
is it because they are "young"...
too big to be young though... and seems there are fuits... if so, how
can the leaves be young?
unless its flower buds... and not fruits..
Questions questions!!
so A VARIANT????

(thre leaves are green in flicker photos... and flowers are just
opening)
Usha di
=======

On Jul 14, 12:39 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice picture! I think it is *Oxyspora paniculata* of Melastomataceae.http://www.flickr.com/photos/52033111@N08/5520624320/in/photostream/
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi

Ushadi micromini

Jul 14, 2011, 12:30:24 PM7/14/11
to efloraofindia
is this red color becuase of end of season ... like in fall..color
change?

can't be young leaves... too big and the accompanied fruits... (NOT
buds)

is this a variant of what is in the flicker foto? cant see the exif
data for this pic...like date of the pic etc.

Usha di
===

On Jul 14, 12:39 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice picture! I think it is *Oxyspora paniculata* of Melastomataceae.http://www.flickr.com/photos/52033111@N08/5520624320/in/photostream/
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi

Vijayasankar

Jul 14, 2011, 12:47:35 PM7/14/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Dr. Usha, You may be right here...
the fall started, the plant was capable enough to convert most of its flowers into fruits, successfully...during its life...
now the season nearing end...
no more photosynthesis required...
when chlorophyll diminishes, hues of other pigments dominate...
abscission might have already started, or might be in the process, to curtail the food and water supply...from and to the leaves....
now its ready for hibernation...
with the satisfaction of producing numerous offspring for the generations to come...

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

ushadi Micromini

Jul 14, 2011, 1:35:45 PM7/14/11
to Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Yes Dr. Raman: you are right...
that's first non-medicine physiology of aging I had studied up waaaaayyyy back in the 68 or  70 when I originally got interested in sugar maples changing color...
thanks for remindng me...
also its a good thing to write them up here for all to learn, me included...
I really appreciate your vast knowledge, esp when you come up with IDs so promptly and accurately.
Regards,
Usha di