Euphorbiaceae week - Euphorbia caducifolia

Samir Mehta

Mar 11, 2011, 5:12:51 AM3/11/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Euphorbia caducifolia Haines, Indian Forester 1914, xl. 154.

@ Khargar Hills on 20-02-11.

Hope id is correct.

Regards,

Samir Mehta
Euphorbia caducifolia, flower @ Khargar Hills DSC05954.jpg
Euphorbia caducifolia @ Khargar Hills DSC05953.jpg

Rashida Atthar

Mar 11, 2011, 5:56:04 AM3/11/11
to Samir Mehta, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes indeed it is  Euphorbia caducifolia Haines. This was also the missing one from the panaroma posted so far ! Thanks. Some keys

A pale green, dense, fleshy, dendroid shrub , upto 2 m high, with numerous branches arising from the very base. -Aima's book pg 194.

Branches angular; stipular spines on prominent tubercles arranged in  spirals; leaves obovate or lanceolate; cyathia red- Dr. Almeida's flora , Vol IV-B, pg ; 304.
The milky juice is used for colds  and applied for blisters on the skin The leaves are eaten and rarely sold in the market as a vegatable. -Aima -pg 194.

regards,
Rashida.

Rashida Atthar

Mar 11, 2011, 6:00:09 AM3/11/11
to Samir Mehta, indian...@googlegroups.com
Attaching the type specimen. Keeping the size larger than normal so that the sketches are seen.

regards,
Rashida.

Type specimen Euphorbia caducifolia Haines.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 11, 2011, 6:31:23 AM3/11/11
to Rashida Atthar, Samir Mehta, indian...@googlegroups.com
I doubt Samir ji's plant being E. caducifolia. This can be verified from careful comparison with type specimen attached by Rashida ji and the following links

E. caducifolia is more like E. nivulia in stem without angles, differentiated from latter in absence of distinct trunk with branches arising from base, smaller leaves (3-8 cm long) and longer spines 0.5-1 cm (leaves 10-25 cm long, spines shorter than 0.5 cm in E. nivulia).

To me the above plants appears E. neriifolia with spirally arranged spines on low angles.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Samir Mehta

Mar 11, 2011, 7:05:17 AM3/11/11
to efloraofindia
Thank you Rashida ji, Gurcharan ji for your inputs.

Regards,

Samir

On Mar 11, 4:31 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I doubt Samir ji's plant being E. caducifolia. This can be verified from
> careful comparison with type specimen attached by Rashida ji and the
> following links
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jvblogger/3327843177/
>
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/jvblogger/3327843177/>http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia_caducifolia
> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia_caducifolia>
>
> E. caducifolia is more like E. nivulia in stem without angles,
> differentiated from latter in absence of distinct trunk with branches
> arising from base, smaller leaves (3-8 cm long) and longer spines 0.5-1 cm
> (leaves 10-25 cm long, spines shorter than 0.5 cm in E. nivulia).
>
> To me the above plants appears E. neriifolia with spirally arranged spines
> on low angles.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Attaching the type specimen. Keeping the size larger than normal so that
> > the sketches are seen.
>
> > regards,
> > Rashida.
>
> > On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Yes indeed it is  Euphorbia caducifolia Haines. This was also the missing
> >> one from the panaroma posted so far ! Thanks. Some keys
>
> >> A pale green, dense, fleshy, dendroid shrub , upto 2 m high, with numerous
> >> branches arising from the very base. -Aima's book pg 194.
>
> >> Branches angular; stipular spines on prominent tubercles arranged in
> >> spirals; leaves obovate or lanceolate; cyathia red- Dr. Almeida's flora ,
> >> Vol IV-B, pg ; 304.
> >> The milky juice is used for colds  and applied for blisters on the skin
> >> The leaves are eaten and rarely sold in the market as a vegatable. -Aima -pg
> >> 194.
>
> >> regards,
> >> Rashida.

Usha Desai

Mar 17, 2011, 3:12:17 AM3/17/11
to Samir Mehta, efloraofindia
I agree  with Gurucharan  ji
the above plant appears E. neriifolia with spirally arranged spines on low angles....though I have never seen the flowers or fruitsThank you Samir ji for the photos..
Usha

Samir Mehta

Mar 17, 2011, 8:56:07 AM3/17/11
to Usha Desai, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank You for your inputs Usha ji;
A couple of more images attached, hope you enjoy viewing them.

Regards,

Samir
DSC06272 ed.jpg
DSC06273 ed.jpg