Flora of Uttarakhand- Herb73 for Id- JM

J.M. Garg

Nov 28, 2010, 8:45:18 AM11/28/10
to efloraofindia

Wild Herb captured on 13/8/10 during the trek from Ghangaria (around 11,000 ft.) to Hemkunt Sahib (around 14000 ft.).

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Herb73 I2 IMG_4268.jpg
Herb73 I3 IMG_4268.jpg
Herb73 I IMG_4267.jpg
Herb73 I2 IMG_4267.jpg
Herb73 I IMG_4268.jpg
Herb73 I IMG_4269.jpg
Herb73 I IMG_4270.jpg
Herb73 I IMG_4271.jpg

tanay bose

Nov 28, 2010, 10:51:16 AM11/28/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Is it a kind of Fuschia?
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Prashant awale

Nov 28, 2010, 11:23:19 AM11/28/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Dear Garg ji,
This looks like Prenanthes brunoniana, (Family: Asteraceae)??
regards
Prashant

tanay bose

Nov 28, 2010, 2:44:52 PM11/28/10
to Prashant awale, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Right you are
thanks for correcting my confusion
Tanay

Mahadeswara

Nov 28, 2010, 10:22:33 PM11/28/10
to efloraofindia
It cannot be a Asteraceae member. For me, tt is not even
Fuchsia . In Fuchsia the ovary is inferior.

On Nov 28, 8:51 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it a kind of Fuschia?
> Tanay
>

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 5:45 AM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Wild Herb captured on 13/8/10 during the trek from Ghangaria (around 11,000
> > ft.) to Hemkunt Sahib (around 14000 ft.).
> > --
> > With regards,
> > J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> > 'Creating awareness of Indian Flora & Fauna'
> > The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a *thousand species* &
> > eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged
> > alphabetically & place-wise):
> >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg. You can also use them
> > for free as per liberal licensing conditions attached with each image.
> > For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora,
> > please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:
> >http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix(more than 1420 members &
> > 52,000 messages on 26/10/10 & with a database of around 4200 species on
> > 30/9/10)
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*

tanay bose

Nov 28, 2010, 11:36:39 PM11/28/10
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Kindly check this link Mahadeswara Ji, hope you confusion will go
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Himalayan%20Rattlesnake%20Root.html
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 29, 2010, 12:51:04 AM11/29/10
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Mr. Mahadeswara is right to the point that it doesnt look like
Asteraceae and in no ways it looks like Fuschia either (not even
distant relative). But there was a time when a family was erected
called Lactucaceae where this group was placed as they looked
differently, but they were merged back to asteraceae later on.
This is undoubtedly Prenanthes brunoniana as Prashant sir says!
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 29, 2010, 1:04:11 AM11/29/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji
When I read your first line, I was taken aback, but luckily you explained it so well. It is Prenanthes brunoniana for sure.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 29, 2010, 1:07:52 AM11/29/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Thank you sir!
Pankaj