size of the image

satish phadke

Jan 9, 2008, 4:48:44 AM1/9/08
to indiantreepix
Dear members
Most of us store our digital photographs on hard disks or CDs or DVDs the size of the individual images is many a times too large.
There are ways to reduce the size of the image and attach it with a group mail.
This is what I do.
Right click on the image and open with Photoshop.
Crop to appropriate area.
Image size adjusted to say 800*600.
Save in JPG or JPEG format.
Generally I add a suffix a or e to the file name e.g.DSCN204 is saved as DSCN204a or DSCN204e so I know that it is a modified and saved for groups image.
Then after clicking the save button photoshop asks for size agin from 1 to 10.
By moving the cursor I select it as 6 or 7 or 8 which displys the size in KB below as 140,160 or 188 etc.
Generally it is saved to less than 200 kb so that the image opens rapidly during email reading and is completely visible in one screen.
I wanted to know from others if there is any other /simple way to reduce the size especially for one who doesn't have photoshop or is not accustomed to it.
Cheers
Satish

Jan 9, 2008, 6:00:38 AM1/9/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Satish,

Thanks for your tips! For those who don't have photoshop...

There's a free software which has similar features as that in adobe photoshop, called GIMP.

http://www.gimp.org/

There's provision to resize the image and toggle the quality.
( http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-scale.html )

Thanks & Regards,
~ Jai

Amit Ray

Jan 9, 2008, 8:10:10 AM1/9/08
to J, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Satish & Jai
I have never used gimp, but it must be good. I have another very useful and easy to use application called Easy Thumbnails. Don't be confused by the name - it can deliver much larger sizes. A 35 mb tif file can be reduced to a 39 kb 600 X 400 jpg image in a matter of seconds. The plus point is simplicity. Can be downloaded from http://www.fookes.com.
Regards
Amit

--
Amit Ray
25B Central Road

Arpit Deomurari

Jan 9, 2008, 8:30:00 AM1/9/08
to Amit Ray, J, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends......

To resize the pictures in a batch mode you can use the following utilities which is really helpful in processing more thne one images.

With this utility you can also add your copyright notice...too.....

Go to   http://www.faststone.org/
and download FastStone Photo Resizer 2.4 and FastStone Image Viewer 3.4

Cheers.....
--
Arpit Deomurari

Naturalist And Consultant - (Environment. IT and GIS)
"AVANI" Anand Colony Road No-1
Nr. "Gurukrupa", Opp. "Rushi" Apartment,
Vikasgruh Road, Jamnagar - 361008
Gujarat(INDIA)

E-Mail:- deom...@gmail.com
            ar...@waders.in

Web site:
http://www.waders.in
http://indianaturewatch.net/view_cat.php?tag=Arpit%20Deomurari

Mobile No.:- +91-9426442243   (Mobile)

I Believe In God, Only spell It Nature
One should not have a job, career or profession- only a hobby, passion and a cause

Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail - Save paper.

vinod kumar gupta

Jan 9, 2008, 10:44:56 AM1/9/08
to satish phadke, indiantreepix
I would do it almost the same way.

I would agree that it is very important to reduce the size of image ,whichever way(and I believe the experts can give better insights as to how) to utmost 150 kb so that it is convenient to open and see.This is almost never there at india indiatreepix(usually very much stuck to at other groups e.g.delhibirdpix)

I think the moderator of the group can do something about it.If nothing else,atleast post the posting guidelines regularly

Regards

Vinod

J.M. Garg

Jan 9, 2008, 9:36:48 PM1/9/08
to vinod kumar gupta, satish phadke, indiantreepix
As per the guidelines, each attachment size has to be max. 150 Kb (which is required to maintain some quality of the picture). But one can have many attachments to illustrate different aspects of a tree/plant. But one has to be cautious not to post unnecessary pictures as far as possible. One may open one or more attachments depending upon what one wants to see or be satisfied with the thumbnails only (which also gives a fairly good impression) if he has a slow net connection.

"What ultimately remains, is the hand you extend to others"
For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg
For learning about our trees & plants, please visit http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en