Star apple flowers

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Oct 6, 2010, 3:43:40 PM10/6/10
to efloraofindia, Soma Jha
Hi
pics of Star apple flowers from Shyamkhola.
The fruits are  called Jamrool in Bengali.
They are wax-coloured, juicy and sweet.

regards
Shantanu : )
DSC01915.JPG

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 6, 2010, 3:54:59 PM10/6/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
I loved that bee hovering over the flower..... nice timing....
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Shantanu

Oct 6, 2010, 3:59:48 PM10/6/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji...
but as a matter of fact, i focused on the flowers only ...and had
seen that bee after taking the pic.

regards
Shantanu : )

On Oct 7, 12:54 am, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I loved that bee hovering over the flower..... nice timing....
> Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 6, 2010, 4:01:29 PM10/6/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
No issues...in big cities, such small incidents do happen :p......
but for your own good....
Pankaj

arjunan

Oct 6, 2010, 11:23:31 PM10/6/10
to efloraofindia
is it "Kamrak" in marathi.

thanx & regards

Rajendra Shinde

Oct 6, 2010, 11:32:58 PM10/6/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
It is Citrus species. (Rutaceae) Grape Fruit or Papanas in Marathi!

Rajendra
--
Dr. Rajendra D. Shinde,
Director, Council of International Programmes,

mani nair

Oct 7, 2010, 12:20:14 AM10/7/10
to Rajendra Shinde, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
Kamrak or Carambola is also known by the name "Star fruit" as when the fruit is cut cross section, gives appearance of a star.

Regards,

Mani.

Dinesh Valke

Oct 7, 2010, 12:44:58 AM10/7/10
to mani nair, Rajendra Shinde, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
Mani ji ... you may be aware that the plant in this post is not the kamrakh OR karambola, Averrhoa carambola.
Rajendra ji has already pointed it out as some species of Citrus, known as grape fruit (papanas in Marathi).

Shantanu ji may have got a wrong lead to believe it as jambrool (in Bengali) which would be the popular known Malabar plum OR rose apple OR Malay apple, Syzygium jambos.

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 7, 2010, 1:09:24 AM10/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, mani nair, Rajendra Shinde, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
Yes it is neither star fruit (Chrysophyllum cainito), nor star fruit (Averrhoa carambola), not even Jamrool in Bengali ( Syzygium samarangense (syn. Eugenia javanica)). It is definitely a Citrus sp., and although the wings below the leaf blade are not clearly visible, it appears to be grapefruit (Citrus paradisi) as suggested by Shinde ji.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 7, 2010, 1:11:15 AM10/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, mani nair, Rajendra Shinde, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
Sorry small correction for first name

Yes it is neither star apple (Chrysophyllum cainito), nor star fruit (Averrhoa carambola), not even Jamrool in Bengali ( Syzygium samarangense (syn. Eugenia javanica)). It is definitely a Citrus sp., and although the wings below the leaf blade are not clearly visible, it appears to be grapefruit (Citrus paradisi) as suggested by Shinde ji.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

mani nair

Oct 7, 2010, 1:22:18 AM10/7/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Rajendra Shinde, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
The confusion is because of the name Star fruit.  So many fruits are called by this name.

Regards,

Mani.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 7, 2010, 1:28:47 AM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
Rutaceae for sure... I didnt notice the leaves earlier. Thanks for the
lead.
Pankaj

On Oct 7, 10:22 am, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The confusion is because of the name Star fruit.  So many fruits are called
> by this name.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mani.
>

> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry small correction for first name
>
> > Yes it is neither star apple (Chrysophyllum cainito), nor star fruit (Averrhoa
> > carambola), not even Jamrool in Bengali ( Syzygium samarangense (syn.
> > Eugenia javanica)). It is definitely a Citrus sp., and although the wings
> > below the leaf blade are not clearly visible, it appears to be grapefruit
> > (Citrus paradisi) as suggested by Shinde ji.
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 10:09 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Yes it is neither star fruit (Chrysophyllum cainito), nor star fruit (Averrhoa
> >> carambola), not even Jamrool in Bengali ( Syzygium samarangense (syn.
> >> Eugenia javanica)). It is definitely a Citrus sp., and although the wings
> >> below the leaf blade are not clearly visible, it appears to be grapefruit
> >> (Citrus paradisi) as suggested by Shinde ji.
>
> >> --
> >> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >> Retired  Associate Professor
> >> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >>http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Oct 7, 2010, 2:52:37 AM10/7/10
to mani nair, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Rajendra Shinde, efloraofindia
Yes Mani ji....both the fruits are known by the same name.

Shantanu

Rajendra Shinde

Oct 12, 2010, 7:46:25 AM10/12/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, mani nair, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
This is a good example to emphasize the importance of scientific name. What ever the local name may be - the plant in picture is - Citrus paradisi of Rutaceae! I think all of us would agree on this!

Cheers!

Shinde

Yazdy Palia

Oct 13, 2010, 3:01:58 AM10/13/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia, Soma Jha
It looks like either pommelo or the sour variety called Vadagapuli in
Malayalam. Probably grapefruit. I have both and will try to send my
pictures. My regrets for the delay.
Regards
Yazdy.

Tabish

Oct 13, 2010, 5:07:47 AM10/13/10
to efloraofindia
The fruit Shantanu is referring to as Jamrool, is Wax Jambu, Syzygium
samarangense. However, these flowers are not of that plant. To me they
look like of the Pomelo tree, called Chakotra in Hindi (Citrus
maxima). Citrus X paradisi is a cross between Pomelo and Orange.
- Tabish
>  DSC01915.JPG
> 120KViewDownload

Yazdy Palia

Oct 13, 2010, 6:44:35 AM10/13/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
I partially agree with Tabish Ji because the other citrus fruit which
is sour referred by me in the earlier mail looks almost identical. The
leaves are also almost same. Unfortunately there are no flowers right
now. I think it should flower in a couple of weeks. If it does I will
send the pictures of both.
Regards
Yazdy.

J.M. Garg

Oct 31, 2010, 9:12:55 AM10/31/10
to efloraofindia, Rajendra Shinde, Tabish, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Yazdy Palia, Gurcharan Singh

Some earlier relevant feedback:

[...]

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1420 members & 52,000 messages on 26/10/10 & with a database of around 4200 species on 30/9/10)

DSC01915.JPG

Yazdy Palia

Nov 1, 2010, 1:13:56 AM11/1/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Rajendra Shinde, Tabish, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Gurcharan Singh
Dear Friends,
This definitely looks like Pomelow to me (Citrus Grandis). The picture
of the flowers show pollinated flowers having black spot in the
centre, unopened buds. Leaves would have helped still furhter.
Am attaching my pictures today. Some time back there was a discussion
about leaves with winged petioles. Am sending the pictures of the
leaves taken from the same cluster, most of them are having winged
petioles and one of them is without. You will also observe that the
leaves at the bottom of the cluster and at the tips have smaller
winged petioles and those in the centre are large.
Regards
Yazdy.
DSCN4039.JPG
DSCN4013.JPG
DSCN4014.JPG
DSCN4030.JPG

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Nov 1, 2010, 9:34:14 AM11/1/10
to Yazdy Palia, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Rajendra Shinde, Tabish, Gurcharan Singh
Hi
The pic of flowers that i hv posted few weeks back are called
Jaam-rool in Bengali : )

Yazdy Palia

Nov 1, 2010, 9:56:44 AM11/1/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Rajendra Shinde, Tabish, Gurcharan Singh
Dear Shantanu Bhattacharya Ji,
Enclosing the link where Jamrul is shown as rose apple, also enclosing
wikipedia link showing the flowers of Rose apple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syzygium_jambos
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multilingual_list_of_edible_plants_used_in_Indian_cuisine#Fruits
There seems to be some mistake, the picture of the flowers submitted
by you is either Pomelow or the sour vaiety of citrus which is also
almost as big.
Regards
Yazdy.