07/05/2011/YRP/01/Naoroz Estate, Chethalayam, Wayanad.

Yazdy Palia

May 7, 2011, 1:46:43 AM5/7/11
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends, some pictures of flowers (3mm in diameter), fruits and
leaves of Averrhoa carambola (Star fruit). Normally sour, but at our
place juicy and sweet.
Date & Time 07/05/2011
Location: Place, Altitude, GPS Chethalayam, Wayanad.
Habitat: Garden, Urban, Wild Type: Garden.
Plant Habit: Tree, Shrub, Climber, Herb Tree.
Height, Length. 15 ft.
Leaves Type, Shape, Size
Inflorescence Type Size
Flowers Size Colour Calyx Bracts-
Fruits Type, Shape, Size Seeds
Other Information like Frangrance, Pollinator, Uses.
Regards.
Yazdy.

You have been sent 3 pictures.

IMG_6289.JPG
IMG_6290.JPG
IMG_6295.JPG

IMG_6289.JPG
IMG_6290.JPG
IMG_6295.JPG

Smita Raskar

May 7, 2011, 2:25:44 AM5/7/11
to Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Averrhoa  carambola, Family Averrhoaceae
--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

Yazdy Palia

May 7, 2011, 2:39:28 AM5/7/11
to Smita Raskar, indiantreepix
Thank you Smita Ji.
Regards
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

May 7, 2011, 3:56:16 AM5/7/11
to Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Yazdy ji
Two cultivars (though not formally recognised) of this species are well known

Sour type: the smaller, very sour type, richly flavored, with more oxalic acid (nearly 1 %);
Sweet type:  the larger, mild-flavored, rather bland, with less oxalic acid (nearly 0.4 %), lighter and more yellower in colour.

One website, however, write that sour fruits are larger about 5 inch long, whereas sweet ones shorter, about 3 inch long. Perhaps you may know more about this.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Yazdy Palia

May 7, 2011, 5:06:56 AM5/7/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
The fruits on my plant are large some as large as 4" in length, I
think we can conclude that the sweeter ones are large.
Regards
Yazdy.

mani nair

May 8, 2011, 10:27:18 AM5/8/11
to Yazdy Palia, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Yazdy ji, this is one of my favorite fruits.  I like to eat this  fruit with salt and chilli powder sprinkled on it.  I have a small tree growing in a pot and last year it gave many fruits.

Thanks for sharing,

Regards,

Mani.

Yazdy Palia

May 8, 2011, 11:41:22 AM5/8/11
to mani nair, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Oh! yes Mani ji, I enjoy it too. We have around 4 such trees and they
produce plenty of fruits. Chethalayam being the place it is, it has no
commercial value. I enjoy it, one more reason I like it is because it
has plenty of fibres. My friends enjoy it, so do my birds and my cows.
They are found underneath the tree as soon as it starts ripening. It
grows very fast from seeds and soon there will be plenty of plants.
Regards
Yazdy.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

May 8, 2011, 5:11:30 PM5/8/11
to efloraofindia
I tasted it for the first time recently this year and I liked it.
I think there is a need to vist your garden and try tasting all
edibles ones.... It would certainly be a great experience for me.
Thanks for sharing !!!
Pankaj

Yazdy Palia

May 9, 2011, 12:09:56 AM5/9/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
You are welcome any time. Only, it is a wild garden. You will be
surprised how many so called weeds could be eaten. Another drawback,
you can not go out in the night due to elephants. Otherwise, it is
very close to the original garden of Eden.
Regards
Yazdy.

promila chaturvedi

Aug 28, 2011, 9:13:42 AM8/28/11
to Yazdy Palia, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Sweet Carambola is found in Assam also. It is very tasty and I eat it without any salt.
Promila

Yazdy Palia

Aug 28, 2011, 11:38:36 AM8/28/11
to promila chaturvedi, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thank you Promila JI.
Regards.
Yazdy.

Mohan V. Chunkath

Aug 29, 2011, 6:09:12 AM8/29/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh
Unfortunately, the ones I have in my home garden bears fruits which grows up to 4 inches but are decidedly sour.
Regards,
Mohan

mani nair

Aug 29, 2011, 10:11:22 AM8/29/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh
Yazdy ji, nice photos of flowers and fruits. Mine is growing in a
small pot. It is sweet when ripe and yellowish and my son enjoys the
fruit with some salt. Last month it flowers and fruited. I am
sending some photos of the previous fruits.

Regards,

Mani.

carambola.jpg
DSC06502.JPG
DSC06504.JPG

Yazdy Palia

Aug 29, 2011, 12:46:02 PM8/29/11
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh
Thank you Manik ji,
It is amazing how you grow it on the balcony of a highrise building.
Please be careful it does not send roots into small crevices in the
building.
Regards.
Yazdy.

Madhuri Pejaver

Aug 29, 2011, 3:45:09 PM8/29/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, mani nair, Gurcharan Singh
Dear Maniji
so when can i plan trip to your balcony?
madhuri