VALMIKI: OBSERVER OF NATURE

Col Bimal Sarkar

May 18, 2011, 10:16:04 AM5/18/11
Dear Friend,
Valmiki mentions about SHINSHAPA tree in his Ramayan.When Hanuman could locate Sita in Ashok vatika,he was sitting on the branch of a SHINSHAPA tree( as per Valmiki in his Ramayan).The scientific name of this tree is Dalbergia sissoo.Attaching an image of this tree.
Regards
Col (Retd) Bimal Sarkar
Mobile: 9434194942
Saptaparna 1.jpg

Ushadi micromini

May 19, 2011, 2:34:13 AM5/19/11
to Col Bimal Sarkar, efloraofindia
Bimal da: thank you... nice to know the ancient names...

where can one read about the trees (flora) of Ramayana... is there an
essay or book that esp deals with flora of Ramayana?
thanks, Usha di
========

>  Saptaparna 1.jpg
> 81KViewDownload

amit chauhan

May 19, 2011, 2:53:00 AM5/19/11
to Ushadi micromini, Col Bimal Sarkar, efloraofindia
Hi,

I guess the photos you have loaded is not of Dalbergia sisso pls check for any error

regards

--
Dr. Amit Chauhan
Junior Technical Assistant

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 19, 2011, 8:07:14 AM5/19/11
to amit chauhan, Ushadi micromini, Col Bimal Sarkar, efloraofindia
Looks like saptaparni, Scholar tree. D. sissoo has small roundish leaves.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Ushadi micromini

May 20, 2011, 11:01:42 AM5/20/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Bimal da: Thank you for the reference, I registered at the site and
they allowed me to download the file....
there is a map of India and Ceylon... in it where Ram had moved
thru... its a very diverse set of ecosystem...difficult to recreate in
ONE BOTANICAL GARDEN.... if Govt India or some such body decides to
take up the project and makes at least about 7 gardens spread over
India then may be the different ecosystems can be accommodated....
it can be done... all we need are bureaucrats with dreaming
quality... a dream created the AGRI-Hort Garden and the Botanical
garden in Kolkata, the Kew and the NYBG... superb examples of far-
sightedness of bureaucrats...

take care, and thanks... I am going to study the list carefully.
Usha di

On May 19, 11:34 am, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>

J.M. Garg

Aug 26, 2011, 1:41:48 AM8/26/11
to efloraofindia, Col Bimal Sarkar, Anand Kumar Bhatt, amit chauhan, Ushadi micromini

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“I guess the photos you have loaded is not of Dalbergia sisso pls check for any error
regards--
Dr. Amit Chauhan”

"Looks like saptaparni, Scholar tree. D. sissoo has small roundish leaves.
ak--
Anand Kumar Bhatt"
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1680 members & 75,000 messages on 31/7/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 5000 species)

Saptaparna 1.jpg

J.M. Garg

Aug 27, 2011, 3:16:57 AM8/27/11
to efloraofindia, Col Bimal Sarkar, Anand Kumar Bhatt, amit chauhan, Ushadi micromini
A reply:
"I am sure about the identity of the image I have fwd.If you are still in doubt ,I can send imges of the plant from different angle.

J.M. Garg

Aug 27, 2011, 3:17:43 AM8/27/11
to efloraofindia, Col Bimal Sarkar, Anand Kumar Bhatt, amit chauhan, Ushadi micromini
Hi, Bimal ji,
Pl. do send the images from different angles.

Smilax004

Aug 27, 2011, 8:33:04 AM8/27/11
to Col Bimal Sarkar, J. M. Garg, amit chauhan, Anand Kumar Bhatt, indiantreepix
This is undoubtedly Alstonia scholaris (L.) R. Br. of Apocynaceae
family. Any way a better picture of a branch with mature leaves would
be helpful for clarification.

It cant be Dalbergia sisso as this species has compound leaves. In
this picture 7 leaves are from a single node.

Regards
Giby

>  Saptaparna 1.jpg
> 81KViewDownload

promila chaturvedi

Aug 27, 2011, 8:53:55 AM8/27/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Col Bimal Sarkar, Anand Kumar Bhatt, amit chauhan, Ushadi micromini
Yes, it is Satparni- Alstonia scholaris.
Promila

ushadi Micromini

Aug 27, 2011, 1:07:36 PM8/27/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Col Bimal Sarkar, Anand Kumar Bhatt, amit chauhan
Agree with Mr Garg...
different angles would be appreciated, and a little less hazy-ness of pictures....

Also,  CHHATIM GACH is just beginning to flower in Kolkata....  an occassional tree that faces west ie gets sun all afternoon... has one or two bunches of flowers....  and has new light green - chartreuse colored leaves , Just like in Bimal da's picture...  not confirmatory though...   So if Bimalda can send in pitures of flowers if possible....???/

Usha di
=========