The Pitcher Plant: Nepenthes khasiana Hook.f.

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 14, 2011, 2:17:12 PM2/14/11
to indiantreepix
Nepenthes khasiana Hook.f. Prodr. (DC.) 17: 102. 1873.
Family: Nepenthaceae

Note: This plant is supposed to be endemic to India and this is one of
the very few plants which is enlisted among the Schedule VI of
Wildlife Protection Act (1972) of India. Hence any extraction of this
species from wild is illegal and punishable.
Location: TBGRI, Palode, Trivandrum.
Camera: Nikon D300+60mm Nikkor +Vivitar ringlflash.
Few more information on the plant [Source Wikipedia]:

Nepenthes khasiana (pronounced /nɨˈpɛnθiːz ˌkæsiˈɑːnə/, after the
Khasi Hills, to which it is largely endemic) is a tropical pitcher
plant of the genus Nepenthes. It is the only Nepenthes species native
to India.

The species has a very localised distribution and is rare in the wild.
Isolated populations are known to occur in the Jarain area of the
Jaintia Hills and the Baghmara area of the Garo Hills, adjacent to the
Khasi Hills region of Meghalaya. Nevertheless, N. khasiana exhibits
considerable genetic diversity.

The Khasi people call the plant tiew-rakot, which means demon-flower
or devouring-plant. The Jaintias call it kset phare, which is roughly
translated as lidded fly net. The Garo call the plant memang-koksi,
which literally means the basket of the devil.

Nepenthes khasiana is a protected species, classified as Endangered,
and is on CITES Appendix I along with N. rajah. In 2010, The Rare
Nepenthes Collection was established with the aim of conserving 4 of
the most threatened Nepenthes species: N. aristolochioides, N.
clipeata, N. khasiana, and N. rigidifolia.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG
Slide3.JPG
Slide4.JPG
PROTOLOGUE NEPENTHES KHASIANA.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 14, 2011, 11:29:37 PM2/14/11
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
This  Khasi plant is really beautiful

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 15, 2011, 12:38:35 AM2/15/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Yeah it is beautiful and very complex. I sometimes imagine how they
evolved to lead such life.
Pankaj

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Nov 22, 2011, 11:06:42 PM11/22/11
to indiantreepix
Nepenthes khasiana

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>

wrote:
> This  Khasi plant is really beautiful

> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
>http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>Nepentheskhasiana Hook.f. Prodr. (DC.) 17: 102. 1873.
>> Family: Nepenthaceae

>> Note: This plant is supposed to be endemic to India and this is one of
>> the very few plants which is enlisted among the Schedule VI of
>> Wildlife Protection Act (1972) of India. Hence any extraction of this
>> species from wild is illegal and punishable.
>> Location: TBGRI, Palode, Trivandrum.
>> Camera: Nikon D300+60mm Nikkor +Vivitar ringlflash.
>> Few more information on the plant [Source Wikipedia]:

>>Nepentheskhasiana (pronounced /nɨˈpɛnθiːz ˌkæsiˈɑːnə/, after the

>> Khasi Hills, to which it is largely endemic) is a tropical pitcher

>> plant of the genusNepenthes. It is the onlyNepenthesspecies native
>> to India.

>> The species has a very localised distribution and is rare in the wild.
>> Isolated populations are known to occur in the Jarain area of the
>> Jaintia Hills and the Baghmara area of the Garo Hills, adjacent to the
>> Khasi Hills region of Meghalaya. Nevertheless, N. khasiana exhibits
>> considerable genetic diversity.

>> The Khasi people call the plant tiew-rakot, which means demon-flower
>> or devouring-plant. The Jaintias call it kset phare, which is roughly
>> translated as lidded fly net. The Garo call the plant memang-koksi,
>> which literally means the basket of the devil.

>>Nepentheskhasiana is a protected species, classified as Endangered,

>> and is on CITES Appendix I along with N. rajah. In 2010, The Rare

>>NepenthesCollection was established with the aim of conserving 4 of
>> the most threatenedNepenthesspecies: N. aristolochioides, N.

Balkar Singh

Nov 23, 2011, 10:55:40 AM11/23/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Again Wonderful!!!!