Fruits and Vegetable week: Chinese Guava

cheriyan vj

Jan 4, 2011, 10:00:32 AM1/4/11
to efloraofindia

Dear All,
Am attaching for ID. Growing in front of my house. The locals here in Coonoor(Altitude: 6000' approx) call it the 'chinese guava '. The fruit is 3/4" to an inch in dia, flavour similar to guava but sweetish-sour to taste with few seeds similar to those of regular guavas. Excellent for making Jams/ Marmalades. Has a long fruiting season starting jul/aug carrying on to Dec. This year it is still fruiting and an odd flower and young fruits are still visible. Likely consequence of the climatic change!
Regards,
cheriyan

chinese guava1.JPG
chinese guava2.JPG

tanay bose

Jan 4, 2011, 10:18:47 AM1/4/11
to cheriyan vj, efloraofindia
Psidium littorale scientifically
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Yazdy Palia

Jan 5, 2011, 4:01:09 AM1/5/11
to tanay bose, cheriyan vj, efloraofindia
Thank you Tanay ji, I have this fruit tree at our place and was
wondering what its name is?
Regards
Yazdy.

sheetal chaudhari

Jan 5, 2011, 4:19:04 AM1/5/11
to Yazdy Palia, tanay bose, cheriyan vj, efloraofindia
Good capture

Sheetal

If you look at what you do not have in life, you don't have anything,
If you look at what you have in life, you have everything...