Ficus arnottiana

renee vyas vyas

Aug 19, 2010, 12:01:49 AM8/19/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Friends,

I am sharing the pictures of Ficus arnottiana taken in Candolium, North Goa in 1st week of Aug,10.

Thanks, with regards,

Renee
Ficus arnottiana 1_1.JPG
Ficus arnottiana's pink leaf petiole_1.JPG
Ficus arnottiana 2_1.JPG
Ficus arnottiana leaf bud_1.JPG
Ficus arnottiana' bark_1.JPG
Ficus arnottiana's fruit_1.JPG

tanay bose

Aug 19, 2010, 12:15:19 AM8/19/10
to renee vyas vyas, efloraofindia
Very Nice Pictures thanks for sharing Renee Ji
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 19, 2010, 12:48:39 AM8/19/10
to tanay bose, renee vyas vyas, efloraofindia
Thanks Vyas ji for sharing this interesting species, which has bee confused with F. religiosa on this group a number of times. There are two key features in the leaves to distinguish: Leaf base is cordate and tail at tip shorter than 2.5 cm in F. arnottiana. In F. religiosa the leaf base is rounded to slightly cuneate and tail at tip much longer, usually longer than 3 cm and contributing about one third of leaf length. The leaves may be undulate and variously thick in both, depending on age. Same may be true about prominence of veins. Of course there difference in habit, often not brought out in photographs.

Another authentic photograph of this species is uploaded by Dinesh ji on FOI

I am uploading my photograph of F. religiosa for comparison here.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

shubhada nikharge

Aug 19, 2010, 2:10:59 AM8/19/10
to renee vyas vyas, efloraofindia
Dear Renee,
Nice pics of leaves, stipules and figs. Good series of pics.
Attaching the pics of Ficus arnottiana tree taken at Maharashtra Nature Park, Dharavi, Mumbai in Jan 2009.
Marathi name : पायर
Family : Moraceae
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Aug 19, 2010, 3:17:28 AM8/19/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharanji for uploading the picture of the leaves of Ficus religiosa which made the comparison very easy.

Thanks Shubhada for sharing your pictures of F. arnottiana.

Renee

tanay bose

Aug 19, 2010, 8:58:58 AM8/19/10
to renee vyas vyas, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Sir Ji and Shubhada ji for sharing your pictures
Tanay

Pardeshi S.

Aug 19, 2010, 11:59:14 AM8/19/10
to efloraofindia
I feel the leaves belong to Ficus rumphii. can any body provide images
of leaf of F. rumphii too.

Regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Aug 19, 11:10 am, shubhada nikharge <shubhada_nikha...@yahoo.co.in>
wrote:
> Dear Renee,
> Nice pics of leaves, stipules and figs. Good series of pics.
> Attaching the pics of Ficus arnottiana tree taken at Maharashtra Nature Park,
> Dharavi, Mumbai in Jan 2009.
>
> Marathi name : पायर
> Family : Moraceae
> Cheers,
> Shubhada
>
> "I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do
> something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."
>
> ________________________________

Neil Soares

Aug 19, 2010, 1:46:37 PM8/19/10
to efloraofindia, Pardeshi S.
Hi,
 Sending photographs of a few of my Pipran [Ficus arnotiana] trees for comparison.
                          With regards,
                            Neil Soares.

--- On Thu, 8/19/10, Pardeshi S. <satishp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ficus arnotiana,Pipran 1.jpg
Ficus arnotiana,Pipran 2.jpg
Ficus arnotiana,Pipran 3.jpg
Ficus arnotiana,Pipran 4.jpg
Ficus arnotiana,Pipran - new plant 1.jpg
Ficus arnotiana,Pipran - new plant 2.jpg
Ficus arnotiana,Pipran leaves.jpg
Ficus arnotiana,Pipran fruit.jpg

Neil Soares

Aug 19, 2010, 2:26:33 PM8/19/10
to efloraofindia, Pardeshi S.
Hi Dr.Pardeshi,
  Have looked at Renee's photographs again. Don't think it is Ficus rumphii because the base of the leaf is cordate and not truncate.
                           Regards,
                             Neil Soares.

Aug 19, 2010, 11:12:21 PM8/19/10
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia, Pardeshi S.
Yes Neil ji. F. rumphii is similar to F. religiosa in leaf base being truncate or rounded, although tail is 1.5-2.5 cm long like F. arnottiana. In above plants leaves are clearly cordate at base, characteristic of C. arnottiana.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 19, 2010, 11:35:37 PM8/19/10
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia, Pardeshi S.
Another interesting feature worth comparison is that C. religiosa has three basal veins (one midrib, two lateral), F. rumphii has 5 and R. arnottiana 7, in both latter lowermost pair is very faint.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

satish pardeshi

Aug 20, 2010, 4:38:03 AM8/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indiantreepix
Thanx alot Neil ji for the F. rumphii pics and thanx  Singh ji for the Diagnostic characters for identification. i used to get confused between F. rumphiii and F. arnottiana

Regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Satish Pardeshi
Plant Taxonomist

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 20, 2010, 4:57:56 AM8/20/10
to satish pardeshi, Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indiantreepix
trunk of F. religiosa is darker with reddish brown with scales peeling off where as F. rumphii is much brighter with grey or whitish colour and most often comparatively smoother.
Regards
Pankaj