Fruits & Vegetables week: Coccinia grandis the ivy gourd or Kundru

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 4, 2011, 2:19:58 PM1/4/11
to efloraofindia

Coccinia grandis (L.) Voigt. (syn: C. cordifolia Cogn.) the ivy gourd locally sold in North India as Kundru vegetable, photographed in Delhi

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Coccinia-grandis-Delhi-4.jpg
Coccinia-grandis-Delhi-1.jpg
Coccinia-grandis-Delhi-3.jpg
Coccinia-grandis-Delhi-2.jpg

tanay bose

Jan 4, 2011, 2:56:32 PM1/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
This vegetable is also common in West Bengal in both cultivated and wild state.As Canada is quite an extension of India due to admirable population of Indians out here we find these vegetable out here too but believe me ivy gourd as well as parwal (Trichosanthes dioica) are imported from India. Due to severe climatic conditions these plants doesn't do quite well out here even in the summer.

tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

ulachungpa

Jan 4, 2011, 11:02:13 PM1/4/11
to efloraofindia
Tondli in Marathi, Tendle in Konkani.
My mother makes a delicious green kadi with the green leaves ground
with fresh coconut and few spices.
In Konkani we call this kadi 'Tambli'.
Usha

On Jan 5, 12:56 am, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This vegetable is also common in West Bengal in both cultivated and wild
> state.As Canada is quite an extension of India due to admirable population
> of Indians out here we find these vegetable out here too but believe me ivy
> gourd as well as parwal (Trichosanthes dioica) are imported from India. Due
> to severe climatic conditions these plants doesn't do quite well out here
> even in the summer.
>
> tanay
>

> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Coccinia grandis (L.) Voigt. (syn: C. cordifolia Cogn.) the ivy gourd
> > locally sold in North India as Kundru vegetable, photographed in Delhi
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*

Balkar Arya

Aug 26, 2011, 8:57:27 PM8/26/11
to ulachungpa, efloraofindia
My Pics of Coccinia grandis from Lohari Panipat Wildly growing
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
Coccinia grandis (1).JPG
Coccinia grandis (2).JPG
Coccinia grandis (3).JPG
Coccinia grandis (4).JPG

Balkar Arya

Aug 27, 2011, 2:04:34 PM8/27/11
to ulachungpa, efloraofindia
More Pics shot today from a village near Samalkha Panipat
C grandis (1).JPG
C grandis (2).JPG
C grandis (3).JPG

Madhuri Pejaver

Aug 28, 2011, 7:37:24 AM8/28/11
to ulachungpa, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
What a beautiful honey bee. Seen the blue colour first time. These are natural colours?
clear pictures.
Madhuri

Mohan V. Chunkath

Aug 28, 2011, 8:23:38 AM8/28/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, ulachungpa, Balkar Arya
Dear Madhuri ji,
The bee with blue stripes belongs to Amegilla genus. The colour is natural :-)
Cheers,
Mohan

formp...@yahoo.com

Aug 28, 2011, 9:35:59 AM8/28/11
to Efloraindia
Wow!
Thank you Mohan ji.
It is so very clear. Especially I really admired the third pair of leg with the pollen sac cover clearly visible.
Thanks again
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: "Mohan V. Chunkath" <mohan.c...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 05:23:38 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: ulachungpa<ulach...@gmail.com>; Balkar Arya<balka...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:78539] Re: Fruits & Vegetables week: Coccinia grandis the ivy gourd or Kundru

Balkar Arya

Aug 28, 2011, 9:07:27 PM8/28/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, Efloraindia
Thanks Madhuri ji and Mohan ji fot id of bee. Yes it is natural color of bee

Devi

Aug 29, 2011, 11:35:49 PM8/29/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
The Ivy Gourd creeper from my garden. We call it Kovakka in Malayalam.

Regards,
Devi
CIMG1026.JPG