Ornamental Herb

Pudji Widodo

May 27, 2011, 9:02:56 AM5/27/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Friends,

Could you help me ID my plant please. Thank you.

Best Wishes,
Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

100_0011.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

May 27, 2011, 9:07:28 AM5/27/11
to Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
I am confused between Bergenia and Begonia

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

May 27, 2011, 10:22:15 AM5/27/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
I think this is Bergenia could be B crassifolia but I am not sure ....
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

ajinkya gadave

May 27, 2011, 10:46:30 AM5/27/11
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Saintpaulia ionantha
Family: Gesneriaceae
African violet

Ushadi micromini

May 27, 2011, 11:01:29 AM5/27/11
to tanay bose, efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo, Gurcharan Singh

How about an african violet? variety of Saintpaulia spp.....
leaves: features of this plant remind me of all the african violets
I have grown from leaf cuttings....
and the flower branching pattern... too... and the fine hair and
succulent stems of flowers and leaves....
not to mention the flowers themselves ...(of course some begonias may
look like this)
but my vote so far is for African violet....

popular houseplant in the north american homes, and in england...
wish we would get them here now that many things are being
imported... this is a delightful plant to have under a table lamp or
the north windowsill.

Usha di

..
On May 27, 7:22 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this is* Bergenia** *could be *B crassifolia* but I am not sure ....

> Tanay
>

> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am confused between Bergenia and Begonia
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>

> > On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Pudji Widodo <pudjiuns...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Dear Friends,
>
> >> Could you help me ID my plant please. Thank you.
>
> >> Best Wishes,
> >> Pudji Widodo
> >> Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
> >> PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA
>
> --

> *Tanay Bose*

> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
>            604-822-2019 (Lab)
>            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca

> *Webpages:*http://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/mberbee.htmlhttp://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/gradstud.htmlhttps://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/

Gurcharan Singh

May 27, 2011, 1:13:18 PM5/27/11
to Ushadi micromini, tanay bose, efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo
Yes Ajinkyia ji
Saintpaulia ionantha
Thanks for introducing a new plant to me.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Na Bha

May 27, 2011, 4:19:39 PM5/27/11
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
To me it looks similar to Usambaraveilchen (Germanname)/ Saintpaulia, commonly known as African violet.
Nalini