13042011GS1 tree for ID from Panchkula

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 12, 2011, 10:45:36 PM4/12/11
to efloraofindia
13042011GS1 tree for ID from Panchkula
The tree about 4 m tall was growing in Panchkula Cactus garden, leaves palmately lobed, hairy especially beneath, about 8-12 cm broad, cordate; flowers yellow with purplish brown eye, reminding of Thunbergia flowers about 4-5 cm across, but the calyx has 5 linear teeth. Photographed on April 9, 2011.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dubia-tree-Panchkula cactus gdn-1.jpg
Dubia-tree-Panchkula cactus gdn-2.jpg

rajank

Apr 14, 2011, 9:14:00 AM4/14/11
to efloraofindia
this plant may be from fam.. convolvulaceae.

rajank.
>  Dubia-tree-Panchkula cactus gdn-1.jpg
> 257KViewDownload
>
>  Dubia-tree-Panchkula cactus gdn-2.jpg
> 218KViewDownload

sheetal chaudhari

Apr 14, 2011, 10:37:32 AM4/14/11
to rajank, efloraofindia
but it doesn't  have star,   the peculiar characteristic of Convolvulaceae member.

Regards,
Sheetal Pachpande

Ushadi micromini

Apr 14, 2011, 11:49:50 AM4/14/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Dr. Singh ji:
Even though I am very new to this group.... and not a botanist, but I
have seen this on many occasions....
and just like you me too, I always thought that the flowers looked
remarkably like Thumbergia alata. That's a vine.... and the leaves
are different...

may I take a bold step and suggest a name... I think my diagnosis is
correct based on these two pictures....
its a plant colloquially called the Sesame tree. Its a member of
family Pedaliacae, to be specific its name is
*Uncarina grandidieri *.... originally from Madagascar... found in
many sun-rooms in homes and hothouses in NY often grown in the same
sort of climate control as various cacti, so your finding it in a
cactus garden in North India seems very appropriate.

Thanks for reading this.
Usha Desai MD (aka Usha di)

Nidhan Singh

Apr 14, 2011, 12:14:15 PM4/14/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Hi,
Thanks Usha Ji, you are quite quite close to proper id. This is a new
plant for me.
Regards,
--
Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 14, 2011, 12:20:57 PM4/14/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Usha ji.
You are on spot. Yes it is Uncarina grandidieri, also known as succulent Sesame

Thanks a lot again

--

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Ushadi micromini <micromi...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

tanay bose

Apr 14, 2011, 12:33:01 PM4/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Bravo Usha ji indeed Uncarina grandidieri as suggested by you !!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Ushadi micromini

Apr 14, 2011, 12:47:29 PM4/14/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Dr Singh ji: thanks, do you have pictures of the whole 4 foot
tree...
I am curious to know how does it grow in "open air" in India...
thanks
Usha di

On Apr 14, 9:20 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot Usha ji.
> You are on spot. Yes it is Uncarina grandidieri, also known as succulent
> Sesame
>
> Thanks a lot again
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 14, 2011, 1:27:40 PM4/14/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Unfortunately not, only photographs of twigs. There were two three tree almost 12-15  feet  tall with spreading crown.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

ushadi Micromini

Apr 14, 2011, 3:10:07 PM4/14/11
to tanay bose, nidhans...@gmail.com, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Tanay and Nidhan Singhji and Gurcharan ji:   Thank you for appreciation...the name Sesame tree always intrigued me ... never having seen fruits develop on these trees where they grow, being inside hothouses, there aren't natural pollinators available I guess.... so it would be interesting to find out what happens in Panchkula where its growing in open air. Usha di